GAME -- One line "blurbs" (for Sherlocks)

Drop by, pull up a chair, kick back your feet, and mingle with your fellow literature addicts. This area is the main lounge for general discussions about books, authors, reading, and literature in general.

Moderator: clong

mccormack44
Grande Dame

GAME -- One line "blurbs" (for Sherlocks)

Post by mccormack44 »

I thought of this game because I'm trying to do this in order to remember WHICH novel, or story, or (sometimes) instruction book this is.

My idea has two prongs.

A.) A one-line blurb is posted and the players guess the title of the book. Answers do not need to be hidden (but we could do it that way, if you wish). This form requires that a genre be given. I think a Sherlock should be given for correct identifications. Correct ID gives one the right/duty to post the next blurb.

Section B is in this thread.

I'll post a SAMPLE in the following post.

Sue
mccormack44
Grande Dame

Post by mccormack44 »

A.) Blurb

An originally privately owned island is given to the control of the black population, old family secrets are exposed, and a romance "cures" all.

A novel of romantic suspense.
tollbaby
anything but this ...

Post by tollbaby »

sounds like a really neat game, Sue!
And what manner of jackassery must we put up with today? ~ Danae, Non Sequitur
laurie
Spelling Mistress
Location: The part of New York where "flurries" means 2 feet of snow to shovel

Post by laurie »

I like it, Sue.

Question - would a post be either A or B, or would it be both A and B?

Also, could we make a rule that each new title/blurb has to be from a different genre than the previous one? (so those of us who aren't SF-F fans have half a chance of getting one right)
"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife." -- Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

"So where the hell is he?" -- Laurie
Kvetch
Sweeper

Post by Kvetch »

I think *just* A is the better way to go - it is difficult to arbite B. I think the game is a cool idea though.

I like the enforced genre swap idea also. I also suggest the 'no massive obscurity' rule that is in place in AQG - that way people don't pick something like the twenty-fifth book of the wheel of time, or whatever.
"I'm the family radical. The rest are terribly stuffy. Aside from Aunt - she's just odd."
mccormack44
Grande Dame

Post by mccormack44 »

I expected that someone who gets an A) answer would post the next A) question and the same with the B) answers. That way there would be two questions going at one time.

B) type questions are obviously a matter of taste, but I was letting the poster make the choice from a set of no more than 10 tries. The rationale here is that the poster knows the book well enough to HAVE a choice. In the meantime, anyone could be free to post a "that's a good one" about a given one-liner about the current B) book in order to keep the B) side of things going.

I approve the change of genre idea. It would apply to both the A) and B) topics. And, in my mind, "genres" include "classical literature," "mainstream novel," and so on.

As to series books (or universe books) — I wouldn't mind the twenty-fifth book of the wheel of time AFTER all the preceding twenty-four had been entered. An entry late in a series is probably more fair in the B) type of question, but still it should come ONLY after the others have been entered. I think good sense is needed here. You don't need to know whether or not "The Sign of the Four" is the first Sherlock Holmes novel in order to use it in either type of entry; the novels and stories all have a stand-alone quality to them. And all of them are pretty well known. Or consider Mercedes Lackey's Valdemar universe. You don't have to know the "Arrows of the Queen" stories in order to do one of the Gryphon Books, but you should start the Gryphon set with Black Gryphon, before doing White Gryphon or Silver Gryphon.

And, Laurie, I did start us out with a novel from the "romantic suspense" subgenre as well as with a well-known SF title. The more genres, the merrier.

Sue
Ghost
Judge Roy Bean

Post by Ghost »

I think it would be less confusing to split these two great ideas into two threads, one for A) and one for B). Sherlock’s for A) because there is only one right answer, and no Sherlock’s for B) because it is a literary beauty contest.

A) could go into the Reading room as a literary game similar to 20QG, and B) could stay here or go into the "Quill and Fountian" fora as a writing game.

IMHO

:smash:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you,
S Adams
tollbaby
anything but this ...

Post by tollbaby »

Sounds like a decent plan to me :) (and no, I have no clue what the book you "blurbed" in A) is, Sue LOL)
mccormack44
Grande Dame

Post by mccormack44 »

I'm quite happy with Ghost's suggestion.

If an administrator makes the split as suggested, please put my initial blurb posts into the two separate threads.

Sue
Ghost
Judge Roy Bean

Post by Ghost »

mccormack44 wrote:I'm quite happy with Ghost's suggestion.

If an administrator makes the split as suggested, please put my initial blurb posts into the two separate threads.

Sue
^^BUMP^^

I would do it, but I don't have Moderator privliges in the Appendix.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you,
S Adams
Kvetch
Sweeper

Post by Kvetch »

I'll start:

Bored woodworker gets outlawed, makes good by being stubborn.

(hopefully obvious, and if I get a turn in fair play, I'll work on a better quality blurb, I promise)
"I'm the family radical. The rest are terribly stuffy. Aside from Aunt - she's just odd."
tollbaby
anything but this ...

Post by tollbaby »

er... I thought we were starting with Sue's blurb. meh.
mccormack44
Grande Dame

Post by mccormack44 »

Pinocchio

If correct, revert to my blurb.

Sue
Ghost
Judge Roy Bean

Post by Ghost »

Kvetch wrote:Bored woodworker gets outlawed, makes good by being stubborn.
I think Sue is wrong, and if so - I guess: The Magic of Recluce
S Adams
mccormack44
Grande Dame

Post by mccormack44 »

I think I'm wrong too, now that I REALLY read "gets outlawed." Sorry about the misreading and I hope Ghost is correct.
Kvetch
Sweeper

Post by Kvetch »

Ghost is correct. I'm sorry, I read the intro posts as specifically examples, not intended to start to flow - sorry!
mccormack44
Grande Dame

Post by mccormack44 »

Kvetch

Either way was OK. I did intend them as examples; I did think they would also serve as first entries.

But this is a game, so who cares who gets to start the ball rolling.

I only hope that some of the entries given by others will mean something to me. It would be red-faced embarresing to find that I had started two games and couldn't successfully participate in them :oops: :P :roll:

Sue
Ghost
Judge Roy Bean

Post by Ghost »

Kvetch wrote:Ghost is correct. I'm sorry, I read the intro posts as specifically examples, not intended to start to flow - sorry!
Does this mean I don't get the Sherlock. :( :roll:
S Adams
tollbaby
anything but this ...

Post by tollbaby »

I think you get the Sherlock, and it's your turn to come up with a blurb!
Kvetch
Sweeper

Post by Kvetch »

oops. I forgot!
Ghost
Judge Roy Bean

Post by Ghost »

I propose for this game we use the similar Modest Quote Game rules:
torybear wrote: The actual rule is that if you guess correctly, and then post a quote, you cannot answer the quote posted by the person who guesses your quote until it is "cold" which was defined as five days.

yech that doesn't read very well.

For instance,
Day 1- MK posts a quote
Day 2- Torybear guesses correctly
Day 2- Torybear posts a quote
Day 3- MK cannot answer, Sneaky bunny guesses correctly
Day 3- Sneaky bunny posts a quote
Day 4- MK guesses correctly
Day 4-MK posts a quote
Day 5- Torybear cannot answer.

Obviously the rules can change but technically that is how they work.

OK – let’s try this one:
A charming young man leaves the country to go to the big city to follow in his father’s foot steps, encounters his nemeses, challenges future best friends, falls in love, protects the queen’s honor, loses love, avenges the loss and achieves his life long dream.
S Adams
blueworld
Literature Addict

Post by blueworld »

Umm... The Three Musketeers?
Ghost
Judge Roy Bean

Post by Ghost »

blueworld wrote:Umm... The Three Musketeers?
Correct - you're up!
S Adams
blueworld
Literature Addict

Post by blueworld »

Ok, this shouldn't be too hard:
Old mathematician scientifically predicts future fall of civilization, some people work to preserve knowledge for future restoration of an empire.
[url=http://www.iblist.com/users/profile_view.php?id=3663]iblist profile[/url]
nzilla
Scholar Adept

Post by nzilla »

I haven't actually read it yet, but is that Foundation by Isaac Asimov?
Ever since I started equating correlation with causality, violent crime has fallen 58%.

Return to “The Reading Room”