LMB Quote Game

Multiple Hugo and Nebula Award winning author Lois McMaster Bujold is creator of the Miles Vorkosigan universe and the world of Chalion.

Official Website: www.dendarii.com

Moderator: Ghost

KarenHunt
Scribe Adept

Re: LMB Quote Game

Post by KarenHunt »

Bonus 1: "this lever" - Miles roughly means his command, his deep knowledge of his forces, the Dendarii Mercenaries.
Bonus 2: Not sure what it's after, but Miles definitely gets his hubris pounded by discovering all kinds of things happened that he knows nothing about. First is Mark's running off with his armor, and one of his ships. Next is a whole pile of death awaiting him on Jackson's Whole.
Bonus 3: https://www.napoleon-series.org/researc ... _bat3.html
sillier example unlikely to be a source for her use (https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/chara ... %C3%A2tman)
JKCade wrote: I'm on top. Finally, I'm on top of it all. With this lever, I can move worlds. He switched the shower to 'dry' and turned in the blast of warm air. He left the bathroom still chortling under his breath. I love it.
His chortle died away in puzzlement when he unlatched the door to his uniform cupboard and found it bare. Had his bâtman taken them all off for cleaning or repairs? His bewilderment grew as he tried other drawers, and found only a residue of the wildly assorted civilian togs he wore when he stretched the chain of his identity one link further and played spy for the...

Italics mean a thought, roman type is a description of what happens in the middle of the thought, and afterwards. Boldface are changes since last quote.
The dots at the end means I have cut at mid-sentence (but further than previously). There are no dots in the text.

Book ? Mirror Dance
Who thinks this deep thought (and takes a shower) ? Miles

For 1/2 point each

Bonus #1 : what is "this lever" (the answer is not unique, it can go from rather particular to more general; I'll accept anything that carries the right notion)

Bonus #2 : As one says “the Tarpeian Rock is close to the Capitol” : so if "this lever" is the Capitol, what is the Tarpeian Rock (don't worry, Mrs Bujold did provide a good one ....)
Well the first hint of the Tarpeian Rock I was alluding to previously was finding the XXX cupboard bare. So that one does not count anymore.
But I will accept either the most remote and worst Tarpeian Rock, and any intermediate one, if it fits in the general scheme.

Bonus #3 : Mrs Bujold uses a bizarre spelling for batman. I have rather a good notion of the reason why she does not spell it the usual way - the military meaning⇗ of this word is all but eclipsed by the name of the superhero. But is there any example of this spelling outside her books ? One 1/2 point for anyone allowing me to locate another such example, if any exists at all.
Karen Hunt
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

KarenHunt wrote:WWW = Prince
XXX = Hamlet
YYY = Nikki Vorsoisson
aaa-bbb = fast-penta
ZZZ = Miles Vorkosigan
CCC = Alexei
DDD = Vormoncrief

Bonus 1: Ekaterin Vorsoisson is also present
Bonus 2: The play is Shakespeare's "Hamlet"
Bonus 3: The informant was a ghost, thus un-druggable
Bonus 4: Fast-Penta would be useless on Miles Vorkosigan primarily because he has a wild, unhelpful reaction to the drug. It also would not be permitted to be administered to him, even if he responded normally to it, because the details surrounding Tien Vorsoisson's death are highly classified.
Bonus 5: The other play is King Richard III, which Miles quoted in entirety while under his first dose of fast-penta. (Brothers in Arms)
"So in the play, WWW XXX comes home for his father's funeral, to find that his mother has married his uncle."
YYY's eyes widened. "She married her brother?"
"No, no! It's not that racy a play. His other uncle, his da's brother."
"Oh. That's all right, then."
"You'd think so, but XXX gets a tip-off that his old man was murdered by the uncle. Unfortunately, he can't tell if his informant is telling truth or lies. So he spends the next five acts blundering around getting nearly the whole cast killed while he dithers."
"That was stupid," said YYY scornfully, uncoiling altogether. "Why didn't he just use aaa-bbb?"
"Hadn't been invented yet, alas. Or it would have been a much shorter play."
"Oh." YYY frowned thoughtfully at ZZZ. "Can you use aaa-bbb? CCC DDD . . . said you couldn't. And that it was very convenient." YYY precisely mimicked DDD's sneer in these last two words.
"On myself, you mean? Ah, no. (.......)
(...)
Book ?
Who is ZZZ , the character that speaks first, third , fifth, seventh and last?
Who is YYY (all even lines) ?
What is aaa-bbb (a noun in two words with a hyphen) ?

Bonus #1 : who else is present ?

Bonus #2 : the “five acts” and the “cast” refer to a play, XXX being a character of this play. For a 1/2 point, which play, and who is XXX (well, both questions have the same answer - incidentially WWW is just an honorific, you don't have to mention it.) ?

(...)
Bonus #3 : Why ? (you have to specify at least aaa-bbb here, if you have not answered the main question)

Bonus #4 : Who is DDD ? (...) And why would aaa-bbb also be useless on ZZZ ? The reason is not at all the same as in Bonus #3.

(...)
Bonus #5 : what other play, and in what earlier book of the same series is this connection described ?
(....)
I give you a chance of winning a full :sherlock: with a sixth bonus, because it is extremely difficult.
In still another book in the same series, earlier even than the one of bonus #5, a few lines of the same play as that of bonus #5 are quoted.
What book ?
Who quotes this play ?
Only bonuses 5 and 6 were still pending.
You win 1/2 point for bonus 5, but not the full point of bonus 6

In still another book in the same series, earlier even than the one of bonus #5, a few lines of the same play as that of bonus #5 are quoted.
What book ?
Human is as human does....Animals don't weep, Nine

[i]LMB, The Labyrinth [/i]
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

KarenHunt wrote:Shards of Honor
XXX = Cordelia Naismith
yyy = Vorkosigan's

Bonus 1: Ensign Dubauer is also present
Bonus 2: the vampire balloons reappear in Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen. Not sure of role: biologically the tiny version are like mosquitoes, the larger ones are more on the floating jellyfish theory. The tiny ones are irritating and people use creams to discourage them. The larger ones are fun to blow up, rather as Cordelia and Aral did in Shards of Honor. Teen kids did that and got in trouble when skatagators showed up. The ones that swarmed Jole's birthday party and became a rain of flaming snot ... I'm not sure where they are in the size range, but not especially large. That marked his decision to stay on Sergyar and take up a new career as a marine biologist instead of returning to Barrayar to become Head of Ops.
Bonus 3: In the drabbles at the end of Cryoburn, Cordelia remembers him and mentally apologizes to him (for rescuing him)
Bonus 4: In Diplomatic Immunity, the mad ba gives its name as Dubauer when it's in quaddie space.
Kudos 1: Dubauer shows up in Dreamweaver's Dilemma; he's the engineer trapped in time.
Kudos 2: Cordelia Naismith shows up in the Sherlock Holmes tale, The Lady on the Embankment
Irony: A lack of Sherlocks for spotting a Sherlock Holmes pastiche does seem somewhat ironic...

Here's my take on odd naming: I always thought Yuan Oser turning out to be a good guy's name in The Lady on the Embankment was ... unusual.

voralfred wrote:OK, not just a longer one, but also a hint and several bonuses.
"What appalling creatures."
XXX almost laughed at yyy revolted look. "As a carnivore yourself, you can't really condemn them."
"Condemn, no; avoid, yes."
"I'll go along with that."
They continued upstream past a frothing, opaque tan waterfall. ....
("..." just means the paragraph does not end there. There are no "..." in the actual text.)

Hint: these "appalling creatures" will reappear in a much later book in the same series, where they will play a role more important than just a side remark in passing, describing the surroundings, as in this quote.

Book ?
XXX ?
yyy is a "genitive" pronoun (his, her, its, their...) but whose is the revolted look ?
What is "appalling" ?

Bonus #1: in addition to XXX and the character of the revolted look, there is a third, silent character present. For a half Sherlock, who is that ?

Bonus #2: in what book of the same series do the creatures come back ? what role do they play ? (a further half Sherlock)

Bonus #3: in what book does XXX briefly reminisce, in a very emotional moment, about the silent character of Bonus 1 ? (again a further half Sherlock)

Bonus #4: in what book does a character assume the last name of the silent character of Bonus 1, but it later becomes evident that it is not this character real name ? (again a further half Sherlock)

Speaking of names, it appears that LMB has a fondness for some names. There is a collection of early short fiction called "Dreamweaver's Dilemma", which however has been explicitly excluded from this game by mutual agreement (though Ghost, I remember, had disagreed at that time, but was outnumbered), in which names appeared which were reused.
So answering these next two questions will not bring any fraction of sherlock, but only my personal kudos:

- in which story of this collection does a character share the same last name as the silent one of Bonus 1 (here it is the character's real last name, not like the one of Bonus 4)
- in which story of this collection does a character share both the first and the last name of XXX, and even some physical and psychological traits, but in a totally different context ?

edit
- and does anybody see the intrinsic irony in this "non-bonus", in particular with respect to the question just above this one ?
Everything is correct, you do get two half points for the pending bonuses 3 and 4, the only ones still pending

Quadruple kudos
- Dubauer in Dreamweaver Dilemma
- Cordelia Naismith in the Sherlock pastiche
- no sherlock for the Sherlock pastiche
- And for noticing that Oser as the last name of a good guy in Dreamweaver Dilemma. I did not notice it myself.
His first name is Calvin though, not Yuan as the first admiral of the Denadarii-to-be
Last edited by voralfred on Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

KarenHunt wrote:Bonus 1: "this lever" - Miles roughly means his command, his deep knowledge of his forces, the Dendarii Mercenaries.
Bonus 2: Not sure what it's after, but Miles definitely gets his hubris pounded by discovering all kinds of things happened that he knows nothing about. First is Mark's running off with his armor, and one of his ships. Next is a whole pile of death awaiting him on Jackson's Whole.
Bonus 3: https://www.napoleon-series.org/researc ... _bat3.html
sillier example unlikely to be a source for her use (https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/chara ... %C3%A2tman)
JKCade wrote: I'm on top. Finally, I'm on top of it all. With this lever, I can move worlds. He switched the shower to 'dry' and turned in the blast of warm air. He left the bathroom still chortling under his breath. I love it.
His chortle died away in puzzlement when he unlatched the door to his uniform cupboard and found it bare. Had his bâtman taken them all off for cleaning or repairs? His bewilderment grew as he tried other drawers, and found only a residue of the wildly assorted civilian togs he wore when he stretched the chain of his identity one link further and played spy for the...

(...)

Book ? Mirror Dance
Who thinks this deep thought (and takes a shower) ? Miles

For 1/2 point each

Bonus #1 : what is "this lever" (the answer is not unique, it can go from rather particular to more general; I'll accept anything that carries the right notion)

Bonus #2 : As one says “the Tarpeian Rock is close to the Capitol” : so if "this lever" is the Capitol, what is the Tarpeian Rock (don't worry, Mrs Bujold did provide a good one ....)
Well the first hint of the Tarpeian Rock I was alluding to previously was finding the XXX cupboard bare. So that one does not count anymore.
But I will accept either the most remote and worst Tarpeian Rock, and any intermediate one, if it fits in the general scheme.

Bonus #3 : Mrs Bujold uses a bizarre spelling for batman. I have rather a good notion of the reason why she does not spell it the usual way - the military meaning⇗ of this word is all but eclipsed by the name of the superhero. But is there any example of this spelling outside her books ? One 1/2 point for anyone allowing me to locate another such example, if any exists at all.
All three bonuses here.
I would have gone as far as "getting killed himself", but I did say I'd accept any intermediate and "Next is a whole pile of death awaiting him on Jackson's Whole." certainly does it.

So altogether 6 bonuses of 1/2 point, but not the full-point sixth bonus :
where else in the Saga (earlier thant Brothers in Arms) is there a short quote of Richard III, and who quotes it ?

voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

For more legibility, here is the new quote
KarenHunt wrote:All right, then I'll try the quote (and no it isn't from Orphans or Knife Children or the very old short stories, so it is safe):

XXX said nothing, yyy.

yyy is an adverb: what is it?
Who is XXX?
To whom is XXX not speaking?

Bonus 1: What is the reason XXX has responded in this way?
Bonus 2: Who did XXX learn to converse in this manner from?

KarenHunt
Scribe Adept

Post by KarenHunt »

The earlier book is The Warrior's Apprentice, where he's pretending that he and Elena were practicing for a play (instead of studying classified documents to find out who her mother was)

Karen Hunt
voralfred wrote:
KarenHunt wrote:WWW = Prince
XXX = Hamlet
YYY = Nikki Vorsoisson
aaa-bbb = fast-penta
ZZZ = Miles Vorkosigan
CCC = Alexei
DDD = Vormoncrief

Bonus 1: Ekaterin Vorsoisson is also present
Bonus 2: The play is Shakespeare's "Hamlet"
Bonus 3: The informant was a ghost, thus un-druggable
Bonus 4: Fast-Penta would be useless on Miles Vorkosigan primarily because he has a wild, unhelpful reaction to the drug. It also would not be permitted to be administered to him, even if he responded normally to it, because the details surrounding Tien Vorsoisson's death are highly classified.
Bonus 5: The other play is King Richard III, which Miles quoted in entirety while under his first dose of fast-penta. (Brothers in Arms)
"So in the play, WWW XXX comes home for his father's funeral, to find that his mother has married his uncle."
YYY's eyes widened. "She married her brother?"
"No, no! It's not that racy a play. His other uncle, his da's brother."
"Oh. That's all right, then."
"You'd think so, but XXX gets a tip-off that his old man was murdered by the uncle. Unfortunately, he can't tell if his informant is telling truth or lies. So he spends the next five acts blundering around getting nearly the whole cast killed while he dithers."
"That was stupid," said YYY scornfully, uncoiling altogether. "Why didn't he just use aaa-bbb?"
"Hadn't been invented yet, alas. Or it would have been a much shorter play."
"Oh." YYY frowned thoughtfully at ZZZ. "Can you use aaa-bbb? CCC DDD . . . said you couldn't. And that it was very convenient." YYY precisely mimicked DDD's sneer in these last two words.
"On myself, you mean? Ah, no. (.......)
(...)
Book ?
Who is ZZZ , the character that speaks first, third , fifth, seventh and last?
Who is YYY (all even lines) ?
What is aaa-bbb (a noun in two words with a hyphen) ?

Bonus #1 : who else is present ?

Bonus #2 : the “five acts” and the “cast” refer to a play, XXX being a character of this play. For a 1/2 point, which play, and who is XXX (well, both questions have the same answer - incidentially WWW is just an honorific, you don't have to mention it.) ?

(...)
Bonus #3 : Why ? (you have to specify at least aaa-bbb here, if you have not answered the main question)

Bonus #4 : Who is DDD ? (...) And why would aaa-bbb also be useless on ZZZ ? The reason is not at all the same as in Bonus #3.

(...)
Bonus #5 : what other play, and in what earlier book of the same series is this connection described ?
(....)
I give you a chance of winning a full :sherlock: with a sixth bonus, because it is extremely difficult.
What book ?
Who quotes this play ?
Only bonuses 5 and 6 were still pending.
You win 1/2 point for bonus 5, but not the full point of bonus 6

What book ?
Karen Hunt
KarenHunt
Scribe Adept

Post by KarenHunt »

First hint: This is from Vorkosigan Saga.
KarenHunt wrote:All right, then I'll try the quote (and no it isn't from Orphans or Knife Children or the very old short stories, so it is safe):

XXX said nothing, yyy.

Who is XXX?

[/quote]
Karen Hunt
KarenHunt
Scribe Adept

Post by KarenHunt »

I'm not sure how many questions/answers are left for this one, but:
This is from Penric and the Shaman.
He is Inglis kin Wolfcliff
AAA BBB = Great Audar
DDD = Wealdean
FFF = Darthacans
Bonus 1: They still knew how to create Great Beasts (Dogs, at least).

voralfred wrote:OK, OK so a longer quote and a hint: we have agreed together to include this book.
The names are given explicitly since they are not so big a clue.
“The woman smiled hesitantly at him. “I’m Beris. That’s my brother Bern.”
Bern offered more reluctantly, “This is the summer grazing camp for Linkbeck, the village in the valley. Our hunting camp in winter.”
So, he’d not traveled quite so far back in time as the place’s crude look suggested. Not to the world of AAA BBB's era, when these mountain tribes had held their high fastnesses against the invaders as the DDD forest tribes had not. Or maybe the FFF had taken one look at the damp precipitous country and decided they didn’t want it that much. The Temple’s invasion in these lands, replacing the old ways with the new, had been a slower process, more a gradual weeding out than a violent burning over. With a chance, a hope, if not a prayer, that they’d not uprooted everything...
No. He eyed the great dog, its furry triangular ears pricked as it tracked the progress of the meat strips to his mouth. A certainty. “That dog. Who owns it?”

There is no time travel in the "World of the five gods" anymore than in any of the other books by LMB.
So this "time travel" is just ordinary travel in space. "He" is looking for a far-away, backward area where the conditions that prevail would be sufficiently close, for his purpose, to those that prevailed long before in the area he started from, but have changed there, since the era of AAA BBB.

Book ?
Who is "he" ?
What is this thing about "back in time" ?

CCC has been revealed as "mountain", DDD is an adjective that applies to forest tribes, as opposed to mountain tribes. No half-point for DDD.

The longer quote contains the answer to the first bonus. Only onr bonus left.
Bonus #1:
Shortly after thinking he did not travel "quite so far back in time as.." , he found out he did "travel far" enough, "back in time". What was his first inkling that this was indeed the case, that [quote]they’d not uprooted everything…
?[/strike]

Bonus
AAA BBB? (BBB is a name preceded by a capitalized adjective AAA)
FFF ? an adjective describing a people, whose leader was AAA BBB[/quote][/quote]
Karen Hunt
KarenHunt
Scribe Adept

Post by KarenHunt »

Brothers in Arms
Elli Quinn is speaking
Miles Vorkosigan is who she's speaking to.
XXX = Komarran

Am I looking for 6 women in the Saga who could serve as bodyguards, not counting Elli Quinn?
Elena Bothari-Jesek
Drou Koudelka
Taura
Cordelia Vorkosigan served for Gregor during the first 10 days or so into Vordarian's plotting
Two unnamed women at the end of The Vor Game who guarded Cavilo
There are several female Dendarii, such as Trooper Philippi (from Mirror Dance), who clearly served as such
Lieutenant Kaya Vorinnis in Gentleman Jole appears to have useful skills
Not thrilled with Star Arqua's skill in Captain Vorpatril's Alliance, but she had the job, so....
Not sure how to count Bel Thorne here, but it served Gregor for a time as well in The Vor Game

Karen Hunt
voralfred wrote:Do people see my new quote ?
“ (…) What's so magic about being XXX, and where can I get some?"
(…) means that the quote starts in the middle of the speaker’s utterance, but goes till its end.

Book ?
Speaker ?
Person spoken to ?
XXX ?

Sorry, I have no bonus to add.
But you have one still pending bonus here (Bonus #1).
And also Bonus #3 here
(Bonuses #1 and #2 have already been answered there) Since Elli Quinn ahd been found as answer to the main question, you have to name six other women.
And I am sure there are more bonuses ! Just track back my questions !
Karen Hunt
KarenHunt
Scribe Adept

Post by KarenHunt »

OK, since we know that XXX YYY is Aral Alexander Vorkosigan and we have his nicknames, I will go for the bonus:
The portfolio is full of drawings by his grandfather Aral, including the extremely detailed architectural study of Vorkosigan House, and not including a naked Cordelia or a naked Oliver Jole.

Karen Hunt
voralfred wrote:
voralfred wrote:While I am at it, a slightly stronger hint
voralfred wrote:A longer quote
A certain thick and well-secured portfolio was taken under the personal supervision of XXX YYY. Persons short and tall were loaded, unloaded, rearranged, and loaded again.

Book ?
What character is " XXX YYY" ?
any unambiguous designation is OK here but see bonus #2

Bonus #1 : though it is not explictly said in the text just around this quote, it is rather evident from an earlier passage in the book what is in this porfolio. So what is it ?

Bonus #2 :
In another book, we learn that the character XXX YYY was called using several nicknames (variants of given name rather than descriptive nicknames, really)
So to get the bonus you need
-full standard given name
-at least two variants mentioned in the other book, in the context of XXX YYY fighting in favor or disfavor of one variant compared to another

This quote is already more than 5 days old. A hint or a longer quote does not reinitialize the "no ping-pong" period. So any player can answer the main question now.
Hints :
1) it is in the Vorkosigan Saga
2) XXX YYY only exists in the last four books
3) XXX YYY is seen "in the flesh" in three of them, and in one of them (I'm not telling you which, not in the book of the quote, obviously) only as scans on a holocube

Oh, come on !
Counting from the end, you can easily deduce in which book XXX YYY is born !
That should be about almost as strong a hint as giving you his name.
And there is a further hint in this hint.....
Karen Hunt
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

@KarenHunt
You got the cold quote and all the bonuses that were left pending (four for just 1/2 point and the Richard III one for a full point)
For the women as bodyguards , I was thinking of (in addition to Elli Quinn) : Cordelia, Taura, Drou and all her four daughters. You did not mention the latter, but you gave enough others to get the bonus. Altogether four more points.

I am repeating your quote with the first hint here for visibility

KarenHunt wrote:First hint: This is from Vorkosigan Saga.

XXX said nothing, yyy.

Who is XXX?

KarenHunt
Scribe Adept

Re:

Post by KarenHunt »

voralfred wrote:Hmmmmmmmmm........

No answer yet?

OK, so I'll up the ante, I'll add a bonus, but at the same time give you a hint. First I'll give the full, unexpurged quote (or almost unexpurged... I had to delete a hint that was really too obvious)

"It's not over, is it?" XXX said quietly to YYY, as they floated out of WWW's way. "Somehow, I thought our troubles would be over if only we could get away from ZZZ1."
YYY shook his head. A jubilant grin still kept crooking up the comer of his mouth. (...). "Our troubles would have been over if ZZZ2 had scored a hit. Or if the vortex mirror had blown up in the middle of the Jump, or if-don't be afraid of troubles, XXX. They're a sign of life. We'll deal with them together-tomorrow."
So the question remains:
-Book?
- who are XXX, YYY and ZZZ?

Note that XXX and YYY call ZZZ by two diffferent designations, but I do not insist on either ZZZ1 nor ZZZ2. If you don't find the exact place of the quote but can remember, or guess, who ZZZ is, any unambiguous designation for ZZZ is OK. You don't need WWW for the Sherlock nor the next question.

Now, the bonus:
The name WWW reappears in a different book. But not as the name of a person. And what is called WWW is not named because of the WWW of the quote but some other person by the same name.

So bonus question:
What name is WWW?
Who is the WWW of the quote?
In what book does the name WWW reappear?
What is it, that is called WWW in that book?
Who is the WWW, different from the WWW of the quote, that it is named for?
And why does it stands to reason that it is named for that other WWW?

OK, one more hint: in that book, both WWW have been dead for quite some time.
I'll go ahead and do the whole question, since it's easier for me to put my thoughts all in one place.

This passage is almost the very end of Falling Free.
XXX = Silver
YYY = Leo Graf
WWW = Minchenko
ZZZ1 = Van Atta
ZZZ2 = Brucie Baby
The later book is Diplomatic Immunity
There is both a space station with artificial gravity named Minchenko, and, much more interestingly, there is a Minchenko Auditoreum. That one is named for Ivy Minchenko, an extremely talented musician and the wife of Warren Minchenko (WWW in the scene); she is the source of quaddie musicianship and similar endeavors.

Karen Hunt
Karen Hunt
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

This is correct (I was thinking of the Auditorium, I did not even remember the space station)
On more 1/2 point, I'll just edit the sherlock page, not put another one
Again I am repeating your quote with the first hint here for visibility
XXX said nothing, yyy.
Who is XXX?

KarenHunt
Scribe Adept

Post by KarenHunt »

Second hint:
1. This quote is from one of the later tales.
2. Barging somewhat into the first bonus: XXX does not approve of something but is not supposed to offer opinions.
XXX said nothing, yyy.
Who is XXX?

Karen Hunt
KarenHunt
Scribe Adept

Post by KarenHunt »

KarenHunt wrote:
Second hint:
2. Barging somewhat into the first bonus: XXX does not approve of something but is not supposed to offer opinions.
Third hint, explaining bonus 2 but without givng the name: "ZZZ would have had an exact bland to cover it"

XXX said nothing, yyy.
Who is XXX?

Karen Hunt
JKCade
Literature Addict

Post by JKCade »

I'll take a stab at it.

XXX said nothing, yyy.

yyy is an adverb: what is it? Loudly
Who is XXX? Bothari
To whom is XXX not speaking? Miles

Bonus 1: What is the reason XXX has responded in this way? Miles has suggested a course of action Bothari does not approve of, but he can't really offer a definite reason why he disapproves.
Bonus 2: Who did XXX learn to converse in this manner from? Illyan
KarenHunt
Scribe Adept

Post by KarenHunt »

JKCade wrote:I'll take a stab at it.

XXX said nothing, yyy.

yyy is an adverb: what is it? Loudly
Who is XXX? Bothari
To whom is XXX not speaking? Miles

Bonus 1: What is the reason XXX has responded in this way? Miles has suggested a course of action Bothari does not approve of, but he can't really offer a definite reason why he disapproves.
Bonus 2: Who did XXX learn to converse in this manner from? Illyan
Close but no banana. The themes are right but the details are wrong. The correct part: Miles is the person XXX is not speaking to.
Karen Hunt
KarenHunt
Scribe Adept

Post by KarenHunt »

KarenHunt wrote:
New post on same question, rearranged to put it and the new hints and known information in order:
XXX said nothing, yyy.
Second hint:

Third hint, explaining bonus 2 but without giving the name: "ZZZ would have had an exact bland to cover it"

Fourth hint, supplying some more context for the original quote:
XXX gave him the Look.
“If push came to shove. As a WWW problem-solving technique, there seems to be precedent.”
XXX said nothing, yyy.

Who is XXX?
To whom is XXX not speaking? - it is now known that this person is Miles Vorkosigan
Who is ZZZ?
WWW is a place - what is it?

Bonus 3: What is the problem-solving technique?
Karen Hunt
Karen Hunt
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

KarenHunt wrote: New post on same question, rearranged to put it and the new hints and known information in order:
XXX said nothing, yyy.
Second hint:

Third hint, explaining bonus 2 but without giving the name: "ZZZ would have had an exact bland to cover it"

XXX gave him the Look.
“If push came to shove. As a WWW problem-solving technique, there seems to be precedent.”
XXX said nothing, yyy.
yyy is an adverb: what is it? firmly
Who is XXX? Roic (JKCade was right inasmuch as XXX is indeed a Vorkosigan armsman)
To whom is XXX not speaking? - it is now known that this person is Miles Vorkosigan
Who is ZZZ? Pym
WWW is a place - what is it? Kibou-Daini

As an armsman, Roic is not supposed to directly contradict his liege lord. But though Roic might participate to breaking and entering a facility in order to remove some property, this time Miles is considering an action not just illegal but downright dangerous. See below
Bonus 2: Who did XXX learn to converse in this manner from? From his mentor (and father-in-law, or will that be only later?) Pym
Bonus 3: What is the problem-solving technique? Cryofreezing two thugs to keep them under control

KarenHunt
Scribe Adept

Post by KarenHunt »

voralfred wrote:
KarenHunt wrote: New post on same question, rearranged to put it and the new hints and known information in order:
XXX said nothing, yyy.
Second hint:

XXX gave him the Look.
XXX said nothing, yyy.
yyy is an adverb: what is it? firmly
Who is XXX? Roic (JKCade was right inasmuch as XXX is indeed a Vorkosigan armsman)
Who is ZZZ? Pym
WWW is a place - what is it? Kibou-Daini

As an armsman, Roic is not supposed to directly contradict his liege lord. But though Roic might participate to breaking and entering a facility in order to remove some property, this time Miles is considering an action not just illegal but downright dangerous. See below
Bonus 2: Who did XXX learn to converse in this manner from? From his mentor (and father-in-law, or will that be only later?) Pym
Bonus 3: What is the problem-solving technique? Cryofreezing two thugs to keep them under control

All answers correct! The ball passes to voralfred now.

Karen Hunt
Karen Hunt
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

New quote :
"(...) They must be very embarrassed, back in XXX, to have so thoroughly mislaid their charge. I fear their reputation is exaggerated."
Not quite. I'm XXX, and I know where YYY is. So technically, XXX is right on top of the situation. ZZZ wasn't sure whether to laugh or cry. Or right under it.
(...) are mine. They mean the person who speaks says something before "They must.." There are no dots in the text.

Contrariwise, italics are in the text. As usually they represent ZZZ's thoughts.

Book ?
Who speaks?
XXX ? (a collective, to which ZZZ belongs)
YYY ? (a character)
ZZZ ? (a character)

E Pericoloso Sporgersi
Sir E of the Knights Errant

Post by E Pericoloso Sporgersi »

voralfred wrote:New quote :
"(...) They must be very embarrassed, back in XXX, to have so thoroughly mislaid their charge. I fear their reputation is exaggerated."
Not quite. I'm XXX, and I know where YYY is. So technically, XXX is right on top of the situation. ZZZ wasn't sure whether to laugh or cry. Or right under it.
A buckshot, hoping to make one or two pellets hit home.

Book ? The Vor Game
Who speaks? Ky Tung CORRECTION! Cavilo (I don't consider this cheating because I knew in which book to search.)
XXX ? (a collective, to which ZZZ belongs) ImpSec
YYY ? (a character) Gregor Vorbarra
ZZZ ? (a character) Miles Vorkosigan
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

All five pellets did hit home !
One sherlock, and the next quote, SIr E of the Knights Errant !

E Pericoloso Sporgersi
Sir E of the Knights Errant

Post by E Pericoloso Sporgersi »

Who or what is a ruibal?
In what book?
KarenHunt
Scribe Adept

Post by KarenHunt »

E Pericoloso Sporgersi wrote:Who or what is a ruibal?
In what book?
The book is Memory.
Dr. Ruibal is the lead doctor treating Illyan for his memory chip dysfunction.

Karen Hunt
Karen Hunt

Return to “Lois McMaster Bujold”