LMB Quote Game

Multiple Hugo and Nebula Award winning author Lois McMaster Bujold is creator of the Miles Vorkosigan universe and the world of Chalion.

Official Website: www.dendarii.com

Moderator: Ghost

Re: LMB Quote Game

Postby E Pericoloso Sporgersi » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:17 pm

purely by erratic memory :

Book ? Passage
XXX ? Dag
yyy ? lakewalkers
Whom does XXX speak to ? Whit
aaa ? eat
bbb ? sleep
E Pericoloso Sporgersi
Sir E of the Knights Errant

Postby voralfred » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:08 am

E Pericoloso Sporgersi wrote:purely by erratic memory :

Book ? Passage
XXX ? Dag
yyy ? lakewalkers
Whom does XXX speak to ? Whit
aaa ? eat
bbb ? sleep

Well, well, well....

All the answers concerning the main question are wrong, unfortunately.

But the two verbs are correct, and even in the right order. So you get the bonus !
I'll only update the sherlocks when the main question is found but I won't forget your 1/2 point then !

Since this is a new page, I'll repeat the question for better visibility

"You know," xxx murmured, "good yyy never pass up a chance to eat or sleep. They never know how much they'll be called on to do, before the next chance.”

xxx is the personal pronoun corresponding to the gender of the speaker XXX
yyy is a noun (plural)

Book ?
XXX ?
yyy ?
Whom does XXX speak to ?

Hint: neither XXX nor the person spoken to are yyy, technically, though XXX has been one, earlier. But whether they eat and sleep, or pass the chance, they are still, in practice, among the best yyy around.
Human is as human does....Animals don't weep, Nine

LMB, The Labyrinth
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Postby voralfred » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:38 pm

Oooops :oops: :oops: :oops:
I mistakenly edited this post rather than quoting it, to give a longer quote and more hints. But because of that the date of the page was not changed, and it did not appear as "new".
So I quoted it and repeated it wit a new date, below. And there is no point trying to remember how this post was, before I edited it. It contained more info than the previous one, but less than the next one, so, dear players, just concentrate on the last version below.
Last edited by voralfred on Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

LMB, The Labyrinth
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Postby voralfred » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:01 am

OK, so I give you yyy

XXX slipped within, and closed the door gently. "You know," she murmured, "good soldiers never pass up a chance to eat or sleep. They never know how much they'll be called on to do, before the next chance."

"I'm not hungry." ZZZ too had a folded-in look, as if caught in some trap within herself.

"Want to talk about it?"

She grimaced uncertainly, and moved away from the bed to a settee in the far corner of the room. XXX sat beside her. "Tonight," she said lowly, "was the first time I (see bonus 1)"

So "she" is the personal pronoun corresponding to the gender of the speaker XXX

Book ?
XXX ?
ZZZ (the person XXX speak to) ?
If you answer by memory, you don't have to give XXX and ZZZ exactly as in the text, any unambiguous naming will do.

Hint: neither XXX nor ZZZ are soldiers, technically, though XXX has been a soldier, earlier. But whether they eat and sleep, or pass the chance, they are still, in practice, among the best soldiers around. And the reason they cannot technically be soldiers is that both XXX and ZZZ are female. However, earlier in her life, XXX lived somewhere else, where she could be, and actually was, a soldier. At that time she was single. Later she went to where she is now, and married someone who was indeed a soldier, technically.
At the time of the quote, XXX and ZZZ were in a party of four, the other two being both technically soldiers, (thus male). ZZZ will later marry one of them but the other one is not XXX's husband. But all four were equally (if differently) excellent soldiers, in practice.

Bonus #1 :
What was it that ZZZ did "tonight" for the first time ? Again any unambiguous formulation will do, if you answer by memory.
(I realize that in the quote as it stands, it is not completely obvious that the last "she" refers to ZZZ rather than to XXX that just "sat besides her" but what follows shows it quite clearly)

Bonus #2 :
Why isn't ZZZ hungry (in addition to the answer of Bonus #1, which certainly contributes to this lack of appetite, but does not fully account for it)

Bonus #3
In fact I have slightly simplified things, above. The third member of the party, the one who will marry ZZZ is indeed technically a soldier. But the fourth member, though he has been a soldier earlier, technically, is not exactly one anymore at the time of this dialogue, but only almost. What is the small nuance that makes him not-quite-a-soldier ?

(Bonus #0 has already been found by EPS : the verbs "eat" and "sleep")

LMB, The Labyrinth
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Postby voralfred » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:31 am

:oops: Once more, I edited instead of quoting, so it did not appear as a new post. So I now quote it, but I don't bother to change back the previous edited one to its previous form (all the "soldier"s were "yyy"s)

OK, so I give you yyy

XXX slipped within, and closed the door gently. "You know," she murmured, "good soldiers never pass up a chance to eat or sleep. They never know how much they'll be called on to do, before the next chance."

"I'm not hungry." ZZZ too had a folded-in look, as if caught in some trap within herself.

"Want to talk about it?"

She grimaced uncertainly, and moved away from the bed to a settee in the far corner of the room. XXX sat beside her. "Tonight," she said lowly, "was the first time I (see bonus 1)"

Book ?
XXX ?
If you answer by memory, you don't have to give XXX and ZZZ exactly as in the text, any unambiguous naming will do.

Hint: neither XXX nor ZZZ are soldiers, technically, though XXX has been a soldier, earlier. But whether they eat and sleep, or pass the chance, they are still, in practice, among the best soldiers around. And the reason they cannot technically be soldiers is that both XXX and ZZZ are female. However, earlier in her life, XXX lived somewhere else, where she could be, and actually was, a soldier. At that time she was single. Later she went to where she is now, and married someone who was indeed a soldier, technically.
At the time of the quote, XXX and ZZZ were in a party of four, the other two being both technically soldiers, (thus male). ZZZ will later marry one of them but the other one is not XXX's husband. But all four were equally (if differently) excellent soldiers, in practice.

Bonus #1 :
What was it that ZZZ did "tonight" for the first time ? Again any unambiguous formulation will do, if you answer by memory.
(I realize that in the quote as it stands, it is not completely obvious that the last "she" refers to ZZZ rather than to XXX that just "sat besides her" but what follows shows it quite clearly)

Bonus #2 :
Why isn't ZZZ hungry (in addition to the answer of Bonus #1, which certainly contributes to this lack of appetite, but does not fully account for it)

Bonus #3
In fact I have slightly simplified things, above. The third member of the party, the one who will marry ZZZ is indeed technically a soldier. But the fourth member, though he has been a soldier earlier, technically, is not exactly one anymore at the time of this dialogue, but only almost. What is the small nuance that makes him not-quite-a-soldier ?

LMB, The Labyrinth
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Postby voralfred » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:32 am

Longer quote, and I kill the old bonus #1
the two other bonuses are just renumbered

"Want to talk about it?"

She grimaced uncertainly, and moved away from the bed to a settee in the far corner of the room. XXX sat beside her. "Tonight," she said lowly, "was the first time I was ever in a real fight."

"You did well. You found your position, you reacted--"

"No." ZZZ made a bitter hand-chopping gesture. "I didn't."

"Oh? It looked good to me."

Book ?
XXX ?

Bonus #1 :
Why isn't ZZZ hungry, in addition to having been earlier for the first time in a real fight, and the consequences of this fight, which certainly contribute to this lack of appetite, but do not fully account for it ?

Bonus #2 :

LMB, The Labyrinth
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Postby voralfred » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:17 pm

OK, let's call the quote above cold.

It will still bring a full :sherlock: and each of the attached bonus 1/2 :sherlock: indefinitely

Moreover, if someone finds the answer before the answer to my new quote below is found, this one will return to "main" status, the player who finds it will ask the next quote, and my new one below will become a full :sherlock:"bonus", not valid for the next quote.

"At least this should be simpler than (....) Straight-up good guys and bad guys."
"Great," said XXX. "Which are we?"

I have shortened the quote, you don't have to elaborate on the details of the (...) I have hidden
Book ?
Who speaks first ?
XXX ?

LMB, The Labyrinth
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Previous

Return to Lois McMaster Bujold