City Names in _Flash_

A place to discuss the rich and varied worlds of L.E. Modesitt, Jr. All are welcome!

Official Website: here. Official Fan site: here

Moderators: Ghost, lmodesitt

JTass
Scribe

City Names in _Flash_

Post by JTass »

Hi Mr. M.,

I re-read Flash over the weekend. I had no issues figuring out the contemporary city names from the elided names in the novel, with one exception. Is Bozem an analog of a contemporary city, or is it just a place name unique to the book?
Considering the principles involved, what are the odds that Murphy's Law is named after the wrong guy?
lmodesitt
Professional Wordsmith

Re: City Names in _Flash_

Post by lmodesitt »

Bozem is the future name of Bozeman, Montana.

L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
JTass
Scribe

Post by JTass »

...And a connected question from Adiamante (just started listening to the new audiobook):
What city does Deseret correspond to?
Considering the principles involved, what are the odds that Murphy's Law is named after the wrong guy?
lmodesitt
Professional Wordsmith

Post by lmodesitt »

Deseret was the original name of the Utah territory. Congress prohibited its use as as state name as one of the conditions for statehood.

L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
JTass
Scribe

Post by JTass »

lmodesitt wrote:Deseret was the original name of the Utah territory. Congress prohibited its use as as state name as one of the conditions for statehood.
Thanks for the info. Just out of curiosity, I looked for more information on Wikipedia.
Deseret had their own alphabet? Really?

Return to “L. E. Modesitt”