Proofreading

A place to discuss the rich and varied worlds of L.E. Modesitt, Jr. All are welcome!

Official Website: here. Official Fan site: here

Moderators: Ghost, lmodesitt

Re: Proofreading

Postby CodeBlower » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:42 pm

Assassin's Price
ePub version

Chapter 13
p. 188
"I'm encountered a few," ..
I'm -> I've

Chapter 22
p. 293
"They know I'm exaggerating slightly, but it does no harm, just as most men like to be told that that they dance well, even when they can barely avoid planting their feet on their partner's shoes."
(drop one "that")
"Budge up, yeh great lump." -- Hagrid, HP:SS
-=-
The gelding is what the gelding is, unlike people who change in response to their perceptions of events that may benefit or threaten their power. -- Lorn, Chapter LXXXII, Magi'i of Cyador
CodeBlower
Shakespearean Groupie

Postby KevinT » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:54 am

Chapter 6 of Assassin's Price (Kindle Edition)

"For the next three glasses, Subcommander Luerryn and Alastar rode through every lane in..."

Should be "...Subcommander and Charyn...".

Also, in Chapter 11 when describing Malyna’s first dinner at Chateau d’Rex:

"Charyn found that the seating had been changed so that he still sat on his father’s right, with his mother at the other end, but Aloryana was seated beside him, while Bhayrn sat on his mother’s right, and Malyna on Lorien’s right, which meant that Charyn was seated right across from Malyna."

Both Charyn and malyna can't both be seated to Lorien's immediate right, so I suspect that it should have been either:

"...Malyna on Lorien's left...", or
"Malyna on Bhayrn's right..."
Last edited by KevinT on Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KevinT
Bookworm

Postby KevinT » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:10 pm

Assassin's Price, first sentence of Chapter 51 (Kindle Edition)

“When Charyn woke on Solyai morning...”

I believe "Solayi" was intended.

------------------------------------------

Chapter 64, second paragraph

By the time, he reached the study...

That first comma probably shouldn't be there. The whole paragraph seems a bit like a run-on sentence, but maybe that's just me.

---------------------------------------
KevinT
Bookworm

Postby CodeBlower » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:25 pm

Mongrel Mage
hardcover version

p. 174 (several pages into Chapter XXIII)
4th line from the top:
"The city didn't really felt that much .."
felt -> feel

p. 486
Chapter LXV, 2nd paragraph, last sentence
".. decided he didn't want to know that badly what Zandyr was so exercised about."
exercised -> excited?
-=-
The gelding is what the gelding is, unlike people who change in response to their perceptions of events that may benefit or threaten their power. -- Lorn, Chapter LXXXII, Magi'i of Cyador
CodeBlower
Shakespearean Groupie

Postby lmodesitt » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:06 pm

Thank you.

The second one isn't a typo. It's a proper but seldom seen usage meaning roughly "all steamed up," but since Recluce doesn't have steam power at this time...

L. E. Modesitt
lmodesitt
Professional Wordsmith

Postby CodeBlower » Wed May 16, 2018 4:55 pm

;)

Just finished "Recluce Tales".

It took forever because: (a) things have been crazy, (b) I feel like I need a little sorbet between each "course".

I didn't find anything to report -- and thoroughly enjoyed myself -- although (as you noted in the introductions) the stories don't always end up going where I thought they would.
-=-
CodeBlower
Shakespearean Groupie

Outcasts of Order

Postby KevinT » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:03 pm

I should have kept notes, but I noticed that there were a couple of instances in the Kindle Edition of Outcasts of Order where the word "keystone" was used to indicate what we might think of as a roadside mile marker, while in previous volumes I believe "kaystone" was used...presumably because distance in Candar is usually measured in "kays".

There was another spot late in the eBook where the wrong homonym (homophone?) was used--but I cant remember where. It was late and I was trying to finish the book.

Now, of course, I'm very sorry I finished it so soon. I'm really looking forward to the third Beltur book.
KevinT
Bookworm

Postby CodeBlower » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:22 pm

Outcasts of Order
hardcover version

Chapter XXXVIII
p. 311 - middle of the page
"I thought it best to send in to the healing house," interjected Jessyla.
in -> it

Chapter XLV
p. 364 - 3rd paragraph
Jessyla was right about that, and less than a quint later he was at Barrynt's stabling Slowpoke. Jorhan had already saddled his mount and one for Barrynt. Then the three rode to the Council House."
(I believe Beltur walked from his place to Barrynt's - and the three of them were riding to the council meeting - so he shouldn't be "stabling" Slowpoke - he should be "saddling" him, I think.)

Chapter XC
p. 597 - 6th full paragraph
At that moment, the young server returned, accompanied by a much older woman, both quickly setting platters, as well as battered cutlery, in front of the dinners, and then returning to the kitchen.
dinners -> diners?

--

After seeing KevinT's note, I looked for the only two references to kaystones that I remembered - and found these "keystone" entries:
* Chapter XCV - p. 617 - 3rd paragraph of the new chapter
* Chapter XCVIII - p. 628 - 7th full paragraph
-=-
CodeBlower
Shakespearean Groupie

Postby KevinT » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:50 am

It's probably way too late for anything to be done about typos found in early books in the series, but since we're speaking of kaystones/keystones, I thought I'd mention that I've seen both terms used in the Kindle editions of Magi'i of Cyador and Scion of Cyador, which I have been reading for the first time this month. The first time I read the Lorn stories, I read the paperback form. I only mention it here because the mile marker inconsistency has apparently been going on longer than I had noticed.
KevinT
Bookworm

Postby lmodesitt » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:13 pm

The problem lies with too many autocorrect systems. When I write "kaystone," my software automatically changes it to "keystone." I have to change it back. Sometimes I don't catch it, and no spellchecker will pick it out.

L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
lmodesitt
Professional Wordsmith

Postby KevinT » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:49 pm

lmodesitt wrote:The problem lies with too many autocorrect systems. When I write "kaystone," my software automatically changes it to "keystone." I have to change it back. Sometimes I don't catch it, and no spellchecker will pick it out.

L. E. Modesitt, Jr.

I imagine the reverse is also true.

I've just reread Colors of Chaos, this time in the Kindle Edition. I was struck by how many times the word "Recluce" appears when "reduce" was clearly the intent. Lower case cl looks an similar to a lower case d, which makes me wonder if this was a case of an optical character recognition problem, as opposed to a traditional typo.
KevinT
Bookworm

Postby lmodesitt » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:05 pm

You're absolutely correct. All the older books were optically scanned. Then they were proofed, but the proofreaders missed more than a few instances, such as the ones you've found.

L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
lmodesitt
Professional Wordsmith

Previous

Return to L. E. Modesitt