The Mage-fire War

A place to discuss the rich and varied worlds of L.E. Modesitt, Jr. All are welcome!

Official Website: here. Official Fan site: here

Moderators: Ghost, lmodesitt

Jimbo1
Bookworm

The Mage-fire War

Post by Jimbo1 »

As usual, Mr. Modesitt delivered a terrific story, with action, amazing world-building, and interesting characters.

I held myself back from reading through the book in one sitting, rationing my reading time as best I could. I've really enjoyed the trilogy of volumes about Beltur.

Well written, well paced, we'll played, sir!
All science is either physics or stamp collecting.
Ernest Rutherford
JTass
Scribe

Re: The Mage-fire War

Post by JTass »

Seconded
Considering the principles involved, what are the odds that Murphy's Law is named after the wrong guy?
lmodesitt
Professional Wordsmith

Post by lmodesitt »

Thank you. I appreciate the comments and am glad you enjoyed the books.

L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
CodeBlower
Shakespearean Groupie

Post by CodeBlower »

Thoughts on the book:
Spoiler: show
I'm looking forward to seeing how things develop in the next book -- especially with Lhadoraak's offspring (plural).

My only, real, disappointment with this book is a petty thing: that Beltur spent so much money, dragging those poor troopers all the way to Hydolar, for them just to revisit all the same public-rooms on the way back home.

I think it illustrates that he wasn't sure what to expect and was trying to plan for every contingency -- but he's been saving his coppers all this time -- and then spent a wagon-load of them unnecessarily just to deliver a message.
-

I have one trivia question -- for you or anybody else -- that I haven't had a chance to go look up: The first time we visit Fairhaven -- with Lerris and Justin -- in "The Magic of Recluce" -- Justin spends quite a bit of time dealing with one spirit in particular.
That fellow's name wasn't "Beltur", was it? Anybody have the book at hand that could look it up and set my mind at ease?
"Budge up, yeh great lump." -- Hagrid, HP:SS
-=-
The gelding is what the gelding is, unlike people who change in response to their perceptions of events that may benefit or threaten their power. -- Lorn, Chapter LXXXII, Magi'i of Cyador
lmodesitt
Professional Wordsmith

Post by lmodesitt »

The spirit's name was Perditis
Exactly how else could Beltur have delivered his "message"? In a way that would have been convincing and that wouldn't have killed even more troopers? That message was absolutely necessary, because the Duke would have continued to send troopers... and Beltur and Montgren don't have any left.
L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
JTass
Scribe

Post by JTass »

lmodesitt wrote:
The spirit's name was Perditis
L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
I've always wondered about that. That's the only instance in the entire Recluce Saga that I can recall that involves a spirit or the power of a non-living being. I was never quite able to make it fit with the way magic/order/chaos seem to work in that universe.

Also; I've always been curious about the backstory there. Will we ever find out who Perditis was?
Considering the principles involved, what are the odds that Murphy's Law is named after the wrong guy?
lmodesitt
Professional Wordsmith

Post by lmodesitt »

Not anytime in the near future, and I can't comment beyond that.

L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
JTass
Scribe

Post by JTass »

Can I assume from your response that he is a subject matter of a future Recluce novel or short story collection?
lmodesitt
Professional Wordsmith

Post by lmodesitt »

No. I can't comment because I really haven't thought of even writing about him at present. I do have a general idea of who he is and why he ended up where he did, but have no plans to write more about him at the moment. I don't want to say more because, should I choose to write about him or that period in Fairhaven's history from the "white" POV, I don't want to be limited or misleading from what I might say now.

L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
JTass
Scribe

Post by JTass »

Ah, gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.
I read your response as having a totally different implication.
CodeBlower
Shakespearean Groupie

Post by CodeBlower »

Mr. Modesitt,

I disappeared for a little while but I just wanted to state -- a year and a half later -- that I deeply appreciate your responsiveness to our queries and such on this forum.

I just finished the next installment and can't wait for more..
-=-
The gelding is what the gelding is, unlike people who change in response to their perceptions of events that may benefit or threaten their power. -- Lorn, Chapter LXXXII, Magi'i of Cyador
lmodesitt
Professional Wordsmith

Post by lmodesitt »

It's going to be a while before there's any more in the world of Recluce. That's because I've been working on an entirely new series -- "The Grand Illusion." The first book is Isolate and will be out in hardcover this coming October.

The second is Councilor and is scheduled for release late in 2022, and I'm working on the third book, as yet untitled.

L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
Mythbhavd
Scribe Adept

Post by Mythbhavd »

I'm looking forward to reading the new series. I'm currently reading Fairhaven Rising. I haven't had a chance yet to read Quantum Shadows, but that's because I want to take the time to actually interact with the material. My area of study is theology and apologetics and I'm always interested in reading your views on theology and philosophy. Recently, I've been so busy with work related reading that I haven't been able to give Q.S. the time it deserves.
CodeBlower
Shakespearean Groupie

Post by CodeBlower »

Yeah, "Quantum Shadows" is sitting here because I knew "Fairhaven Rising" was coming. ;) Now that I've finished with that .. and caught up on my sleep I missed from finishing that ..
-=-

Return to “L. E. Modesitt”