Your works over the years

A place to discuss the rich and varied worlds of L.E. Modesitt, Jr. All are welcome!

Official Website: here. Official Fan site: here

Moderators: Ghost, lmodesitt

Mythbhavd
Scribe Adept

Your works over the years

Post by Mythbhavd »

I was watching a video by Adam Savage and a viewer asked if he had a favorite creation or if they were like his children and each special in its own way. I know you've been asked the same question. In his discussion of that, he makes the statement (when discussing a sculpture he made in the 90s), that the piece has changed over the years, not because he has changed it, but because his relationship with it has changed. He says that you have an experience with that thing just after you've finished it, then after you've utilized it, and then later on (with the idea of visiting it later) and that your relationship with that thing can actually change.

That made me think of your writing. You have such a rich history of work. Do you find that true of your work? If you do, how do you see that change taking place?

For reference, his discussion of this is about 8:20-9:30 into his video.
lmodesitt
Professional Wordsmith

Re: Your works over the years

Post by lmodesitt »

My answer to the question would partly agree with what Adam Savage said, but in my case, I wouldn't say that the story or book changed. My perspective on it changed, but that doesn't change the words. Because I'm a combination of an intuitive and a highly logical writer, some aspects of a book are written on "feel" and at times I can't explain it. Sometimes, however, when I reread something I realize why, in retrospect, it felt right.

L. E. Modesitt, Jr.

'

Return to “L. E. Modesitt”