Beloved Books, Characters, and Quotes

A place to discuss the rich and varied worlds of L.E. Modesitt, Jr. All are welcome!

Official Website: here. Official Fan site: here

Moderators: Ghost, lmodesitt

JTass
Scribe

Beloved Books, Characters, and Quotes

Post by JTass »

Hey All,

I figured now that the forum is back up, I'd try to generate some activity with a new post people could chime in on. Please jump in and share some of the books you've enjoyed. (Mr. M, please feel free to chime in).
*Note - Don't feel like you need to fill this out like a form, just chime in with any of your personal faves or titles or quotes you'd like to share.

I'll get us started:
  • Favorite series - too many to pick just one, but The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher is the current leader of the pack. The Saga of Recluce and The Imager Portfolio are both in my top 10
  • Favorite stand-alone title (i.e., not part of a series) - American Gods by Neil Gaiman
  • Favorite character - Druss the Legend from the Drenai Saga by David Gemmell
  • Favorite first line of a novel, novella, or short story - "The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault." - Blood Rites, Dresden Files #6 by Jim Butcher
  • Favorite final line of a novel, novella, or short story - "Rest easy now, my friend. You are safe at last," he said, "free of the demon ship. You are aboard a vessel with a fine safety record and excellent officers and crew - and just a few days away from her port. Recover your strength and rid your mind of past afflictions. We welcome you aboard the Marie Celeste." - And Only I Am Escaped to Tell Thee by Roger Zelazny
  • Honorable Mention - "And what would humans be without love?" "RARE," said Death. - Sourcery, Discworld #5 by Terry Pratchett
Considering the principles involved, what are the odds that Murphy's Law is named after the wrong guy?
Ghost
Judge Roy Bean

Re: Beloved Books, Characters, and Quotes

Post by Ghost »

A person after my own tastes ... L E Modesitt, D Gemmell, J Butcher, Zelany, I add in L M Bujold. Authors that make me laugh (and cry) out loud. I'll get some quotes later.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you,
S Adams

Return to “L. E. Modesitt”