That Murderin' Beltur

A place to discuss the rich and varied worlds of L.E. Modesitt, Jr. All are welcome!

Official Website: here. Official Fan site: here

Moderators: Ghost, lmodesitt

Spear-Dane
Bookworm

That Murderin' Beltur

Post by Spear-Dane »

I was wondering why Beltur can mow down hundreds of armsman with his order-blades before finally passing out due to his order levels being critically low. While Nylan can only kill three dudes before he collapses, except for the times he killed thousands (and then collapses, just harder).

It's mentioned in The Chaos Balance and Arms-Commander that developing the ability to use order to heal forced a few of the Angels into abandoning arms as they apparently suffered the side-effects of murderin' while on Order. Yet Beltur is specifically a Mage-Healer, and he does tons of killing without the white-knives of order-guilt. And his Healer-Mage wife, Jessyla also kills quite a few armsman without order-guilt. And even his well-ordered daughter seems capable of the same.

I recognize that ultimately Beltur pays a sort of price for what he's doing, i.e. a case of black head. But after the first book it seems pretty clear he isn't grey, just a black with an odd upbringing, and his wife and child are certainly black and all are skilled healers. So what is different about him and his family compared to the stereotypical order-heroes?
CodeBlower
Shakespearean Groupie

Re: That Murderin' Beltur

Post by CodeBlower »

For my part, it's a degree of how much of "themselves" they put into the order -- as well as how that order is used.

I guess -- considering the discussions -- over the series -- about using "free chaos" vs. "personal chaos" -- that would have lot to do with it as well. If the wielder is just focusing free-order, is there a order-link back to the "caster", when that order kills somebody?

The other thing that is always in flux, I believe, is the overall amount of order and chaos in the world (universe?).
Spoiler: show
Lerris tries to reset that, if I remember right.
"Budge up, yeh great lump." -- Hagrid, HP:SS
-=-
The gelding is what the gelding is, unlike people who change in response to their perceptions of events that may benefit or threaten their power. -- Lorn, Chapter LXXXII, Magi'i of Cyador

Return to “L. E. Modesitt”