Proofreading

A place to discuss the rich and varied worlds of L.E. Modesitt, Jr. All are welcome!

Official Website: here. Official Fan site: here

Moderators: Ghost, lmodesitt

fortyseven
Scribe

Post by fortyseven »

I noticed the above V:C typos. I'm almost finished reading it.
CodeBlower
Shakespearean Groupie

Re: Proofreading

Post by CodeBlower »

(still hoping I'm "early enough" ..)

Viewpoints Critical

Spec-Ops

page 272 -- in the paragraph that begins "DeJahn forced his mind back"

He exerted the pressure of danger to the left, and the lure of food, big juicy mosquitoes to the left.

I think the second "left" was intended to read "right".

Sisters of Sarronnyn ..

page 299 -- in the paragraph that begins "It took until early afternoon"

The wallstones of the outbuildings being used as tables were so loosely set that the stalls would have filled with ice on a single winter day at Westwind.

I think "tables" was intended to read "stables".

Finally finished "Viewpoints Critical" so that should be all the corrections from me for that one.
"Budge up, yeh great lump." -- Hagrid, HP:SS
-=-
The gelding is what the gelding is, unlike people who change in response to their perceptions of events that may benefit or threaten their power. -- Lorn, Chapter LXXXII, Magi'i of Cyador
CodeBlower
Shakespearean Groupie

Post by CodeBlower »

Not positive on this one .. I read this during a weekend with lots of other stuff going on and may misunderstand the quote. Re-read it tonight, after returning home and finishing the book, and it still doesn't quite make since to me "as is" so I'm assuming it's a boo-boo.

Mage-Guard of Hamor

Chapter LXIV

page 426 -- it's near the end of the opening paragraph -- which is a continuation from the previous page

Behind him and to his left were the five squads of Third Company, formed up across the back side of the rise with five-man fronts, so that, if necessary, all five squads could charge and strike the enemy at one.

I think "at one" was meant to read "as one".

Since this weekend was so chaotic, I'm seriously considering an immediate re-read .. but I've got to give the whole thing a day or two to sink in before I "get the squads to reform and order a second attack". ;)
-=-
The gelding is what the gelding is, unlike people who change in response to their perceptions of events that may benefit or threaten their power. -- Lorn, Chapter LXXXII, Magi'i of Cyador
CodeBlower
Shakespearean Groupie

Post by CodeBlower »

CodeBlower wrote:Not positive on this one .. I read this during a weekend with lots of other stuff going on and may misunderstand the quote. Re-read it tonight, after returning home and finishing the book, and it still doesn't quite make since to me "as is" so I'm assuming it's a boo-boo.
First off, I guess I need to correct myself -- I should have used "sense" instead of "since", obviously.

Just finished my first read of "Imager's Intrigue" and I think I may have found a couple worth checking ..

Page 192
- center of the page
- sentence begins "I suspected Aelys".
- I think it's missing a word.

Page 399
- 3rd paragraph
- begins "When I reached the house"
- In the last sentence, I think "of" should be "or".

Page 486
- in the next to the last paragraph
- begins with "After the final words"
- To me, it reads as if Rhenn went home with the wrong woman.

Page 491
- 4th line from the bottom
- begins with "That will please her"
- I think the word "to" needs to be added after "her".

Page 494
- 4th full paragraph
- begins "We turned to move away"
- Madame D'Shendael's first name is spelled differently.

Also, Silver_Phoenix already noted the one on Page 465:
- viewtopic.php?f=52&t=119312#p1879678
-=-
lmodesitt
Professional Wordsmith

Post by lmodesitt »

Thank you.

I'll make the corrections as necessary in the mass market paperback.

L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
Lynn Hardy
Bookworm

Re:

Post by Lynn Hardy »

Kvetch wrote:amature ?

How about passing out proofing samples to us ?

maybe we could have the 'proofreading forum' :lol:
I'm late coming to this discussion... any more headway on getting a proofreading forum going? I'd be really interested in that!
"I’ve always considered Destiny the King Trickster and Fate his court jester. Save such talk for court maidens whose virtue may be swayed by such nonsense...”
Archmage Reba ~ Prophecy of the Flame
CodeBlower
Shakespearean Groupie

Post by CodeBlower »

As this thread is located in the Modesitt forum, I'd prefer to see this one remain as a "feedback"-type resource ..

I would be willing to participate in a proofreading-service kind of a thread .. I just think it should be located elsewhere.
-=-
CodeBlower
Shakespearean Groupie

Post by CodeBlower »

Finally finishing :oops: Lady-Protector ..

Please note, this item is from the Nook version (in case that makes a difference) -- if somebody else could compare in other versions and note, here, if it's a wider problem -- I, for one, would appreciate it.

Around page 183 (of 438 for the Nook), Mykella is quizzing Haelyt (a clerk, if I remember right) about his experiences with various persons of influence.

She asks about the First Seltyr and the High Factor (the High Factor's representative), and then continues with ..
.. Seltyr Thaen
.. Seltyr Pualavyn
.. High Factor Pytroven
.. Zylander
.. Seltyr Thaen

I've no clue whether the 1st or 2nd instance is the "duplicate" -- nor with what name it should be replaced.
-=-
lmodesitt
Professional Wordsmith

Post by lmodesitt »

Thank you.

The "first" Seltyr Thaen should be "Seltyr Klevytr."

As I've said before... no matter how many times you and others go through a manuscript and galleys, something always slips through.

L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
CodeBlower
Shakespearean Groupie

Post by CodeBlower »

Just trying to do my part to give back a little .. hopefully getting updates back fast enough to be used for future releases.
-=-
CodeBlower
Shakespearean Groupie

Post by CodeBlower »

Scholar
Note: These are from the Nook version. Will they be making updates/corrections? I'm going to list what I found anyway - in case the problem is also in the hardback version. (I have not checked.)

Page 111

Quaeryt peered through the leaves, trying to get a good look at his pursuers as they moved up the slope, slowing as they nearer the clump of trees.

I'm guessing the underlined-word should be "neared".

Page 491

The hill riders waited until the first company was within fifty yards before loosing three volleys at directly at the cavalry.

I think this word can be deleted.
-=-
lmodesitt
Professional Wordsmith

Post by lmodesitt »

Thank you.

The errors will be in Nook/Kindle/hardcover.

I can correct the paperbacks. I'm not certain about the e-books.

L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
DavidSims
Bookworm

Re: Typo

Post by DavidSims »

I do the same thing. I miss typos. I can also be wordy in my original phrasing. I know that I can write fiction. I also know that I don't enjoy doing it. I get tired quicker writing fiction than I do solving calculus problems for homework cheaters on Yahoo Answers. I'm an essayist (science, politics) by nature, rather than a fiction writer. I compulsively reread my own stuff, and it seems I find another typo or awkwardness in it every time through.
CodeBlower
Shakespearean Groupie

Post by CodeBlower »

Princeps
Note: These are from the Nook version.

Page 215

From Jaramyr's tone, Quaeryt could easy infer that the other captain or captains were not all that good.

I'm thinking the underlined-word should be "easily".

Page 407

There are archers, but how many is uncertain He has a second, if smaller force, comprising three ..

I think there should be a period after "uncertain". "He" is kind of smashed up behind it on the Nook version -- so I don't know if it's there and just not showing up, or what.

Page 454/455

Pass that to your squad leaders." Quaeryt slipped the half-staff from its leathers.

Quaeryt then watches a quick skirmish and gives some revised orders ..

Page 455/456

I'll take three squads and push them into the force that's fighting the rest of the battalion." Quaeryt slipped the half-staff from its leathers.

To my thinking, he'd still have the half-staff out. If I'm wrong, just ignore this one. I only noticed it because the phrase was the same both times -- and close enough together for me to remember.

Page 475

This one is not a grammar-correction -- it's a style issue -- and it may or may not be related to the Nook version -- but that's the only edition I've seen and have to go from.

When Quaeryt starts reading "Rholan and the Nameless", the text from the book/work is the same font/size/format as the rest of Quaeryt's story -- which makes it a little harder to navigate. I'm *guessing* it was supposed to be some kind of quoted-text block -- but it never made it to my version. (Unless I need to change a setting of some kind -- but I think I'm using the defaults.)

Page 492

"I'd like you to image the most acrid bitter coal and wood smoke you can possible think of across their lines."

I think "possible" should be "possibly".

- - -

I felt like I read through it a little too fast. (I generally get side-tracked and re-read pages often -- but I kind of burned through "Princeps".) I'm planning to give it another read next week. I'll try to do a better job of keeping my eyes open this time. :wink:
-=-
lmodesitt
Professional Wordsmith

Post by lmodesitt »

Thank you. I'll make the corrections for the paperback.

L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
CodeBlower
Shakespearean Groupie

Post by CodeBlower »

Finished "Rex Regis" a while back - but got delayed posting this.

I thought I'd found an error - but upon re-reading to post this, I decided that it's correct as written.

Either I'm slipping - or your editor is improving. ;)

Congrats!

p.s. I can't believe we're at the end. Great series!
-=-
Jimbo1
Bookworm

Post by Jimbo1 »

To keep all of this in an appropriate context, one only needs to read a few ebooks. I'm not judging, just reporting, that I've found few among the indies which are properly edited.

It makes it that much more of a pleasure to indulge oneself in a well-written, well-edited book by our host!
All science is either physics or stamp collecting.
Ernest Rutherford
CodeBlower
Shakespearean Groupie

Post by CodeBlower »

Cyador's Heirs
Notes: These are from the hardback version. In my "paragraph number", I'm not counting any that are continued from the previous pages.

Page 43, Paragraph 8

Why couldn't we just ... well ... bleed way the chaos?

way = away?

Page 55, Paragraph 12

We'll see how you do with what I've showed you.

showed = shown?

Page 84, Paragraph 17

A half-yearling lamb cost between five ..

cost = costs?

Page 85, Paragraph 3 of Chapter X

Lerial struggles out of sleep, then sits up ... and finds that every muscle is his body ...

is = in?

Page 93, Paragraph 6

Obviously arranged by your grandmother, as you said.

I think Altyrn is the one speaking. Lerial told Rojana about his Grandmother -- not Altyrn -- how does he know what Lerial said?

Page 270, Paragraph 9

Only that that there are more people in the woods, ...

drop one "that"?

Page 350, Paragraph 1, middle of the paragraph

... the Lancer who had died of his gut would, ...

would = wound?

Page 354, Paragraph 1

For a moment.

I wasn't sure if this line was a continuation of the thought from the previous paragraph, or if the period should be a comma ..

I didn't find anything after that .. but I may have been too "into" the book to catch them.

Looking forward to the companion piece (as always). Thank you!
-=-
KevinT
Apprentice Scribe

Post by KevinT »

CodeBlower wrote:Cyador's Heirs
Notes: These are from the hardback version. In my "paragraph number", I'm not counting any that are continued from the previous pages.

Page 43, Paragraph 8

Why couldn't we just ... well ... bleed way the chaos?

way = away?

Page 55, Paragraph 12

We'll see how you do with what I've showed you.

showed = shown?

Page 84, Paragraph 17

A half-yearling lamb cost between five ..

cost = costs?

Page 85, Paragraph 3 of Chapter X

Lerial struggles out of sleep, then sits up ... and finds that every muscle is his body ...

is = in?

Page 93, Paragraph 6

Obviously arranged by your grandmother, as you said.

I think Altyrn is the one speaking. Lerial told Rojana about his Grandmother -- not Altyrn -- how does he know what Lerial said?

Page 270, Paragraph 9

Only that that there are more people in the woods, ...

drop one "that"?

Page 350, Paragraph 1, middle of the paragraph

... the Lancer who had died of his gut would, ...

would = wound?

Page 354, Paragraph 1

For a moment.

I wasn't sure if this line was a continuation of the thought from the previous paragraph, or if the period should be a comma ..

I didn't find anything after that .. but I may have been too "into" the book to catch them.

Looking forward to the companion piece (as always). Thank you!
There are quite a few in the Kindle edition. Maybe I should have kept notes, but I often read on my phone at times and in places where I don't have the ability to easily jot down notes.

I may just be getting more sensitive to this, but it seemed as if there were a higher than usual number of errors in the text.

I might be willing to go through the book again if I thought it would serve a useful purpose--such as saving the mass market edition from having the same errors.
CodeBlower
Shakespearean Groupie

Post by CodeBlower »

Looking at my previous entry, it does seem like there were more this time -- but last time there were notably fewer -- so it may have just been a bad day for the editor. :twisted:

I would guess the ones you saw in the Kindle version were mostly the same as the ones in the hardcover version I read.

On my Nook, I can long-press on a word and a note-app pops up -- it's super-easy keeping track of stuff in there -- and less typing. :)

Since I started Recluce in "real" book format, I will finish that way.
-=-
Mick
Bookworm

Post by Mick »

Any time that the typo/error is in conversation, just pretend the speaker stuttered/mis-spoke slightly. After all, in real life people do that a lot.
Lucent
Apprentice Scribe

Post by Lucent »

EASTER EGGS!! I love finding the easter eggs in books. For one because I know the world, culture and story well enough to notice them. Also because of the possibility that Mr modesitt put something there purposely to display the way things change or different opinions by the various peoples within his multilateral worlds. Or how one meaning or truth can be warped or changed by time or distance.

It's fun, and it's real. After all LEM writes books for us to read and enjoy. Unlike so many other modern story sellers LEM is a writer for his fans if not even for his own dedication and enjoyment of another story told.

That's a question in itself
Can you smell that?
CodeBlower
Shakespearean Groupie

Post by CodeBlower »

Heritage of Cyador
Notes: These are from the hardback version.

P. ?

I kept notes as I read (I thought). Unfortunately, going back (now) to type this up, I can't find the page the first one is on. I have it down as Page 30. I have now re-read 1-50 and still can't find it. Maybe someone else can spot it.

Unless I was seeing things, there is a sentence in which the words "through all through all" appear. Obviously, I think there only needs to be one set.

P. 153 - 2nd full paragraph - last sentence

Several hundred yards ahead are can see two low redstone towers, ...

are = one?

P. 163 - 1st sentence (continued from P. 162)

.., that stretches some twenty-five yards on aside.

I think "aside" should be two words.

P. 210 - middle of the last paragraph on the page

Lerial wonders if Mesphaes has taken over an older merchanting house, of if the building is owned ..

of = or?

P. 256 - 8th paragraph

"Compared to who?"

who = whom?

P. 280 - middle of the 8th full paragraph

Sammyl's name is missing the "l".

P. 392 - 3rd paragraph

Lerial wonders if that is because plaques don't matter than much to Kyedra.

than = that?

P. 417 - 5th paragraph

Rhamuel laughs. "Sometimes, you don't even realize how much the little things you do ending up mattering."

ending = end?

P. 431 - 3rd paragraph from the bottom

"We knew his villa here was empty, but he also left word at his factorage that he was removing himself and at family to Dolari."

and at family = and his family?
and at family = and all family?

P. 481 - middle of the 1st paragraph

The man was a masterful prevaricator and deceiver, so masterful that there is not a decent shed of physical evidence against him.

shed = shred?

Sorry this is late -- my wife wouldn't let me have it until Christmas and then I got overwhelmed by other tasks. Very enjoyable book. Thank you!
-=-
lmodesitt
Professional Wordsmith

Post by lmodesitt »

Thank you.

L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
Mythbhavd
Scribe Adept

Post by Mythbhavd »

In "Madness of Solidar" on page 73 of the ebook, it says, "A mille and a half north of the Nord Bridge, he and the two thirds reached their destination." Later on that page, it says, "Alastar dismounted, handing the reins to Chervyt, this time accompanied by an older second, Maercyl..."

The rank of one of his escorts changes from third to second.

Return to “L. E. Modesitt”