More Questions from an L.E. Modesitt Fan

A place to discuss the rich and varied worlds of L.E. Modesitt, Jr. All are welcome!

Official Website: here. Official Fan site: here

Moderators: Ghost, lmodesitt

Spear-Dane
Bookworm

Re: More Questions from an L.E. Modesitt Fan

Post by Spear-Dane »

lmodesitt wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:54 pm I have to admit I'm not as organized as you imply, in that I don't separate out names by Rationalist or Angel backgrounds. It's likely by feel, but there are more "Rationalist" names, as I think about it, with "ie" or "yl" in their construction. Female names are more likely to end in vowels than are male names, but not always. The only constant is that all names are actually pronounceable, at least in linguistic terms, since I've "borrowed" from Latin, Greek, French, Italian, and Germanic roots, if not always with the same spelling.

L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
Thank you.
I was wondering, then, if you have any names that you've crafted which are particularly pleased with.
lmodesitt
Professional Wordsmith

Post by lmodesitt »

In retrospect, there are some names that have turned out to be particularly appropriate, although I'd be hard-pressed to explain why in some cases. Creslyn and Maegara, for example, Lerris and Lorn, Taelya and Saryn, Nylan, Quaeryt. In terms of geography, Cyad and Cyador, Solidar [from the Imager Portfolio].

Readers have also expressed preferences for names over the years as well, but I'd certainly miss some of those if I tried to list them from memory.

L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
Spear-Dane
Bookworm

Post by Spear-Dane »

Well, since no one else has any questions for more then a year, I think I'll ask a few more!

1. Did you come up with the name Lephi after driving through the town of Nephi (and probably getting gas) and then Lehi, on your way to Salt Lake City conventions?

2. The books of Lorn and Lerial seem to be part of a larger story about the legacy of Cyador. While Lerial's story is over, I was wondering if there were ever any plans to continue with the larger tale. Where the ancient book of verse and the old plated iron sword end up next...
CodeBlower
Shakespearean Groupie

Post by CodeBlower »

I can't find where he, specifically, answered that question on Lorn, he did on Lerial .. and it matches his standard M.O. ..

viewtopic.php?p=1893388#p1893388
"Budge up, yeh great lump." -- Hagrid, HP:SS
-=-
The gelding is what the gelding is, unlike people who change in response to their perceptions of events that may benefit or threaten their power. -- Lorn, Chapter LXXXII, Magi'i of Cyador
lmodesitt
Professional Wordsmith

Post by lmodesitt »

The idea of conflating "Lehi" and "Nephi" never consciously occurred to me, but I wouldn't put it past my subconscious.

As for another story about Lorn, there's no story to tell. He's consolidated power. The Mirror Lancer leadership is totally behind him, as are the remaining powerful Magi'i, and the merchanters couldn't be more pleased. Lorn already destroyed the northern threat and the Great Forest will be quiet for at least the remainder of his reign. In addition, he's as powerful a mage as any of the Magi'i, and he is married to a woman devoted to him who has the tools, if indirectly, to deal with any up and coming schemers. In addition, he knows that trying to expand Cyador is totally infeasible.

L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
CodeBlower
Shakespearean Groupie

Post by CodeBlower »

Darn. ;) That's a little absolute. I was hoping for at least a "maybe" ..
-=-
The gelding is what the gelding is, unlike people who change in response to their perceptions of events that may benefit or threaten their power. -- Lorn, Chapter LXXXII, Magi'i of Cyador
Spear-Dane
Bookworm

Post by Spear-Dane »

lmodesitt wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:53 am The idea of conflating "Lehi" and "Nephi" never consciously occurred to me, but I wouldn't put it past my subconscious.

As for another story about Lorn, there's no story to tell. He's consolidated power. The Mirror Lancer leadership is totally behind him, as are the remaining powerful Magi'i, and the merchanters couldn't be more pleased. Lorn already destroyed the northern threat and the Great Forest will be quiet for at least the remainder of his reign. In addition, he's as powerful a mage as any of the Magi'i, and he is married to a woman devoted to him who has the tools, if indirectly, to deal with any up and coming schemers. In addition, he knows that trying to expand Cyador is totally infeasible.

L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
Ah sorry. I was unclear. I realize Lorn and Lerial's specific stories are over. I meant the greater story of the legacy of Cyador. So, that would be..a descendant of Lerial or Lephi in Hamor.
lmodesitt
Professional Wordsmith

Post by lmodesitt »

I am working on another Recluce novel, but it's not one about Lorn or Lerial's descendents or "legacy." I'm not about to say more until I'm much farther along.

As long as I'm writing and people are willing to buy my books, there's a possibility of more Recluce books, but I can't and won't commit to any particular plotline or theme until the book is largely finished.

L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
CodeBlower
Shakespearean Groupie

Post by CodeBlower »

:banana:
-=-
Ghost
Judge Roy Bean

Post by Ghost »

:clap: :banana: :clap: :worship: :clap:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you,
S Adams
Spear-Dane
Bookworm

Post by Spear-Dane »

:banana: :clap: :smash:
Gil galad
Assistant Scholar

Post by Gil galad »

Mr Modesitt you have mentioned that the first short stories you ever wrote were published in Analog Magazine. Could you please elaborate which issues your works are published in? I would love to try and track them down and read them if it's possible.

Grateful for your time and response.
lmodesitt
Professional Wordsmith

Post by lmodesitt »

Some, but not all, of the early stories are in my story collection -- Viewpoints Critical.

The ones that aren't are:

"A House by Any Other Name," ANALOG November 1974
"Came the Revolution," GALAXY, September 1977
"Viewpoint Critical," ANALOG, July 1978
"Reaction Time," ANALOG, January 1978

L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
Gil galad
Assistant Scholar

Post by Gil galad »

Thank you! Now I think comes the hard part of tracking down out of print books.

Return to “L. E. Modesitt”