More Questions from an L.E. Modesitt Fan

A place to discuss the rich and varied worlds of L.E. Modesitt, Jr. All are welcome!

Official Website: here. Official Fan site: here

Moderators: Ghost, lmodesitt

ironwill96
Bookworm

Doh

Post by ironwill96 »

LOL,

Well, i'm most definitely NOT a Science guru myself. I am a computer programmer so I guess I'm not expected to know much about how fusion works! Anyway, I hope if Mr. Modesitt reads this he will look upwards a few posts to see my questions about The Timegod that brought this topic back from the deathbed. How we got off on hydrogen as an energy source i'm not sure!

Nathan
bob k. mando
Defender of Database Integrity et Critic

Post by bob k. mando »

screw hydrogen, deuterium all the way, baybeeeee!

[bob is fascinated by the flashing lights]
Words of wisdom about hippies from Neil Young circa 1970:
"Soldiers are gunning us down,
Should have been done long ago."
MidasKnight
Centrist

Post by MidasKnight »

Aunflin wrote:Here, let me get a little more far-fetched:

I read about all the little microrganisms living at the bottom of the ocean, all the ones create methane--and apparently don't breath oxygen.

But anyway, would it be feasible in any way, shape, or form for us to somehow cultivate "fuel-producing" bacteria...? Say, have veritable septic tank in your vehicle that you periodically throw waste into, the bacteria breaks it down, creating fuel, which your vehicle runs off of? A melding of biology and technology?

*I shake my head. Pretty fantastical. But the thought's been with me since I read the article...*

Any thoughts--anyone...?
It was a few posts back, but here's the reference.

And we should really stop doing research on fusion. We already have a fusion reactor that we barely use (technologically, anyway). The Sun.
In the 60’s, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.
jweb
Deep Thinker

Post by jweb »

Now, now, Bob. Stop trying to confuse the non-alchemists. As I'm sure you already know, Deuterium IS hydrogen. Specifically, it is the hydrogen isotope with atomic weight 2. It is much less common than the normal isotope, Protium (atomic weight 1), but more common than the Tritium isotope (atomic weight 3). If you're interested, see this page and this PDF for more info.

As for how fusion reactors relate to this thread:
A. Ironwill himself mentioned them in relation to The Timegod.
B. They are likely to be the first controllable, eco-friendly, cost-effective (and we all know what LEM thinks of cost-effectiveness 8)) source of energy sufficient for such applications as producing Adiamante, interstellar travel (e.g. Jump Drives and Firin cells), etc. (Author/physicist Charles Sheffield and others have some interesting ideas about Kerr-Newman black holes as both a source of energy and a means of storing it, but that technology is likely to be developed farther in the future, if ever.) Unless, of course, humans (or Anglorats) learn to extract energy from a time-shielded paradox (i.e. Cyador's time towers), or some other such mechanism. In any event, all of LEM's scifi books reference (to some degree or other) the importance of sufficient energy in a high tech society.
C. Earlier in this thread, people were discussing the differences between finite and infinite fuel sources. As the PDF above explains, the hydrogen isotopes most useful for fusion are themselves limited resources (as are radioactives), and while they might seem like a more eternal solution, a high tech society could run out of them just as easily as we might run out of fossil fuels. This could make fusion reactors as obsolete as oil-based internal combustion engines.
D. While not "hard scifi", most of LEM's scifi books are usually based on sound scientific principles/theories (as opposed to sci-fantasy books), and knowing the actual "sci" behind the "fi" adds to the experience of reading them (IMO). YMMV.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm thirsty, so I'm going to go get a glass of cooled, liquid diprotium oxide. :mrgreen:
MidasKnight
Centrist

Post by MidasKnight »

Yeah, what he said.
In the 60’s, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.
lmodesitt
Professional Wordsmith

Belated Reply

Post by lmodesitt »

I'm sorry to be a bit late in responding, but I've been traveling on book business -- actually taping a "bookwrap" internet video on the forthcoming Wellspring of Chaos, which should appear on the TOR website and elsewhere in around two weeks.

Now... for the questions on the "Queryan" issues:

1. In the first few paragraphs of Chapter XXXI, Sammis refers to Wyran in the present tense, saying Wyran would call Loki's behavior "psychotic disassociation or some such.." It doesn't immediately register with Loki -- his mind is obviously on other matters, but it does hit his subconscious, and when he sees Sammis out of the chains, he is reminded of how much more Sammis is than he seems, and the pieces fit together.

2. The "burning" scene serves two purposes, to foreshadow the strength of Loki's abilities and to reinforce that he is, in a sense, the god of fire... and even those who love him are likely to get hurt.

3. Time flows according to Einstein/Hawking. However, seasons will differ from planet to planet, obviously, at the same point in "objective" time, such as it is, because planets will be at different points in their orbits and axial tilts.

4. The tablets contain the map and an inscription which basically says not to mess with the god of fire [in short, just the sort of thing to get people riled up over time, with the hard and enduring tablet to prove that its technology and not divinity that cause their misery].

5. In the beginning, as you'll understand after reading Timediver's Dawn, there wasn't time to chronicle that history. And after reading it, would you really want to be shown with the stupidity and clay feet? Sammis figured it was better not to have a public history, because no one would believe an accurate depiction in any case.

Trust this clears up some aspects of the questions.

L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
ironwill96
Bookworm

Thanks!

Post by ironwill96 »

As always, I appreciate the responses. I figured the inscription was something like that. As for the present tenses referral to Wryan, I notice that now after looking back at that chapter.

I just realized that you grounded most of the major names of characters in this one on Norse mythology. Although I was under the mistaken impression (From a game called Age of Mythology) that Loki was the God of Lightning. However, after looking it up I find that he is not. Odin was the father of the Gods and Thor his son, so I guess I can see how that relationship makes for the character of Odin Thor. Overall, a very neat concept.

I have heard it rumored that you sometimes hint at other settings you have used in some of your older books (was this your first full-length novel?). Were any of the worlds that Loki or Sammis traveled to supposed to be Recluce or where the Corean Chronicles took place or where the Spellsong Cycle is at?

Nathan
lmodesitt
Professional Wordsmith

Timegods' World

Post by lmodesitt »

The worlds visited by the timedivers came long before the later fantasy and SF worlds. One of the worlds visited, of course, is earth itself.

L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
jweb
Deep Thinker

Re: Thanks!

Post by jweb »

ironwill96 wrote:I have heard it rumored that you sometimes hint at other settings you have used in some of your older books (was this your first full-length novel?). Were any of the worlds that Loki or Sammis traveled to supposed to be Recluce or where the Corean Chronicles took place or where the Spellsong Cycle is at?
One reference was that Frey obtained his lightsaber "from some obscure group of galactic-wide do-gooders from near the end of his backtime limits". Gee, I wonder who those guys could be? :wink:

I'm thinking along the lines of "A long, long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...". :)
lmodesitt
Professional Wordsmith

Lightsabre

Post by lmodesitt »

I wasn't going to mention that... one of my more cynical moments, but you're thinking correctly.

L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
jweb
Deep Thinker

Re: Lightsabre

Post by jweb »

lmodesitt wrote:I wasn't going to mention that... one of my more cynical moments, but you're thinking correctly.

L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
I always thought that was a great touch. As others have also remarked, those little details (both serious and humorous) are one of the things that make your novels so enjoyable, even when they are read more than once. They add a lot of depth and make it easier to become immersed in the story.
ironwill96
Bookworm

Good Point

Post by ironwill96 »

LOL,

I had forgotten about Frey's little "lightsaber" affection. I noticed that being strikingly similar to certain George Lucas creations. I also had realized that "Terra" was Earth, and thought it interesting that Loki's parents and Baldur as well as Sammis and Wryan would choose it as the one planet to settle down on. It seemed to me as if you were going for the effect that on that particular planet, the future had not yet been decided - which made it worth living for.

Nathan
skinto
Bookworm

hey

Post by skinto »

hey mr. modesitt, i was wondering if you enjoy reading other popular fiction authors and if so who?

~trent
"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."
lmodesitt
Professional Wordsmith

Reading Habits

Post by lmodesitt »

I've always read widely, especially in F&SF, but not exclusively so. I've even read The DaVinci Code, which really falls apart if you look too deeply, fun as it is for a few hours. As I've often said, I'm not sure I have "favorite" authors, but more likely favorite books. Some that I've always liked are Soldier, Ask Not!, The Warhound and the World's Pain, Shadow of Ashland, Witness to Life, Creatures of Light and Darkness, The Gate to Women's Country,The Left Hand of Darkness, and Pavane.

That's certainly not an exclusive list, but the ones I could think of at the moment.

L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
-=sniper=-
Bookworm

Post by -=sniper=- »

as to the stuff about hydrogen being the futures energy
i cant remember the university(stanford?) but they are working on breaking water atoms apart and i think they estimated 40 years until its completed
although think about what would happen if they finish it
1its kept a secret and nobody finds out about it(AREA 51 BABY!)
2its becomes a widespread thing and energy is free(lots of water atoms to break apart).my science teacher said it would take about a bucketfull of water for like a year in a large city or somthing(im on spring break right now soo...) if this were to happen *i think* many jobs would be lost and the economy would either get much better or be destroyed

plus it would mean many things would change
the energy is free so does that mean anythings possible almost if we have unending energy?
and again the prices of everything are based on some sort of energy being used energy used to make somthing wich pretty much is everything
could we do anything(when i say this i dont mean things like flying in the air...... or do i ^.-)(i dont)

major rambling and space taking so....
(also im not sur if im too late on this subject sry if so... i guess...)
still some rambling lol

P3ÄCE
books games heavy metal/death metal

korn=piers anthony slipknot=robert jordan
modesitt=mudvayne warhammer=anything
lots of others=random or marilyn manson
-=sniper=-
Bookworm

Post by -=sniper=- »

i just now looked at the last post i wrote and i would like everyone to know that i wrote this at pretty much 1 in the morning so please dont laugh at me if u dont understand what im talking about
im not even sur if ill be able to tell what im talking about when i wake up in the morning Ü or from the emoticons side of the page) :)

P3ÄCE
books games heavy metal/death metal

korn=piers anthony slipknot=robert jordan
modesitt=mudvayne warhammer=anything
lots of others=random or marilyn manson
falon
Bookworm

Corean Chronicles

Post by falon »

Mr. L. E. Modesitt, Jr.

First off I am absolutely crazy over your Corean Chronicles series. I haven't enjoyed this much reading since The Rift War Saga by Raymond E. Fiest. I think what I enjoy most about this series is the non stop military action. I am in the military so it's great. I am very excited about your Scepters book comming up in July especially since Alucius will still be the main character. However I am not sure I would enjoy your follow on books as much without him. To me when an author switches characters it feels as if I am starting all over. Anyways here is my Question:

Can you give us a description of what the Scepters book will be about?

Thanks.
Jeff Barton
lmodesitt
Professional Wordsmith

Scepters

Post by lmodesitt »

For reasons that will become obvious after you've read the book, I'm not about to discuss the plot, except in very general terms. When the book opens, Alucius has gone back to being a herder, and has been for a time. The military situation has gotten even worse for Lanachrona, and Madrien has been taken over by another ruler -- the Regent of the Matrial-- who is in the process of pushing the Lanachronans out of the southwest with the help of two crystal spear-throwers. Revolts are breaking out all over Corus, and the Lord Protector of Lanachrona sends an envoy to Alucius -- requesting that he take up arms once more as a majer in charge of a special force. Far more is occurring than meets the eye, however...

L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
falon
Bookworm

Post by falon »

Mr. L.E. Modesitt, Jr.

Thank you very much! That was basically what I was looking for. I guess you can only write about one character for so long and then have to move on. Star Wars seems like one of the few exceptions. Thanks for taking the time to answer my post :thumb: I will be sure to have my wife purchase Scepters in July and send it over to me while I am in Iraq doing only God knows what!

Jeff Barton
SlightlyMad
Bookworm

Post by SlightlyMad »

To show in more details the considered solutions to energy problems, I will start with the collection of resources. Getting enough resources that will serve as fuel for the creation of energy requires energy is costly. Especially using deuterium for fuel will take a rather big piece out of your return.
Then there is the loss of transforming one type of energy into another. Look at a lightbulb, in most cases only 10% of the energy is used for actually creating light in a visible form. Using a fusactor would have to transform heat of the fusion into electricity since this is the most commonly used form in the world. The loss of energy again for this is rather large. This loss of energy is very common in the transformation of one type of energy into another. It is what holds our universe together.
So making energy costs energy. Either because you have to get fuel or you are losing energy because of the transforming.

What I mostly miss in hard science fiction novels is that a creation of energy is simple and is looked upon as trivial en not worth mentioning. I, on the other hand, like to think how one propels a spaceship, how one gets enough peaked energy to shoot off a laser that can damage another vessel miles away. OK we are entering the realm where fiction and non-fiction part ways, still I like to consider all those factors when we reading a book about a near future society that depends on the energy provided in order for it to exist. Enough said, my point is energy is not trivial and it's use also is not. Luckily we have our imagination and we our allowed to fill in the blanks. :wink:
jweb
Deep Thinker

Post by jweb »

Slightly off topic:
SlightlyMad wrote:What I mostly miss in hard science fiction novels is that a creation of energy is simple and is looked upon as trivial en not worth mentioning. I, on the other hand, like to think how one propels a spaceship, how one gets enough peaked energy to shoot off a laser that can damage another vessel miles away.
Try reading Charles Sheffield's books (after you've read all of LEM's, of course :wink: ). He's both a respected theoretical physicist and a scifi author. Most of his books have a good blend of really hard science with entertaining fiction.
Superenigmatix
Defender of the Chronicles Stylesheet

Post by Superenigmatix »

Unfortunately he also died not so long ago - leaving his last series uncompleted :(

sE
torybear
Literature Addict

The Green Progression

Post by torybear »

The Green Progression
by Bruce Scott Levinson (Contributor), L. E., Jr. Modesitt ...

I have a couple of questions about this book. I found it on the inside cover of one of your earlier books when I began my quest to own all things Modesitt.

1. Why is this title listed on the "books by" page of some books and not others? I though at first it might have been a publisher switch but as far as I can tell you have been with TOR throughout your writing career.

2. Is writing in collaboration harder than writing alone?
lmodesitt
Professional Wordsmith

The Green Progression

Post by lmodesitt »

I've done a quick check of copies of my books, and while I may have missed one or two, The Green Progression is listed in all of those books published after it. Now, it will not be listed in the Orbit British editions, nor in early copies of The Magic of Recluce or The Towers of the Sunset.

Not all of the books, however, list it as a collaboration.

Yes... writing a collaboration is harder than writing alone. As a result, there's a very simple rule I try to adhere to: You should only write in collaboration when there is no other way to write the book and when it could not be written by either author alone.

Now... that's just my approach, and I do tend to be a lone wolf most of the time.

L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
jweb
Deep Thinker

Post by jweb »

Superenigmatix wrote:Unfortunately he also died not so long ago - leaving his last series uncompleted :(

sE
You're right. That is truly sad news. Charles Sheffield was (IMO, and in many others') one of the great names in Science and in Science Fiction.
Here's to Charles! :beer: You'll be missed. :(

Return to “L. E. Modesitt”