More Questions from an L.E. Modesitt Fan

A place to discuss the rich and varied worlds of L.E. Modesitt, Jr. All are welcome!

Official Website: here. Official Fan site: here

Moderators: Ghost, lmodesitt

torybear
Literature Addict

Re: The Green Progression

Post by torybear »

lmodesitt wrote:I've done a quick check of copies of my books, and while I may have missed one or two, The Green Progression is listed in all of those books published after it. Now, it will not be listed in the Orbit British editions, nor in early copies of The Magic of Recluce or The Towers of the Sunset.

Not all of the books, however, list it as a collaboration.

Yes... writing a collaboration is harder than writing alone. As a result, there's a very simple rule I try to adhere to: You should only write in collaboration when there is no other way to write the book and when it could not be written by either author alone.

Now... that's just my approach, and I do tend to be a lone wolf most of the time.

L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
Thank you for the answer...you are correct (not terribly suprising) it is listed in all the other novels, I just missed it because I didn't see the collaboration note. Thanks again.
hippie52
Bookworm

Post by hippie52 »

Question asked of curiosity, Disregard if you've previously answered this.

What research did you do for your books. e.g. one protagonist is a carpenter, another a blacksmith, another a cavalry officer. Did you have to independent research and what types, sources?
I'm not really bad. I'm just...drawn that way.
Jessica Rabbit
lmodesitt
Professional Wordsmith

Research??

Post by lmodesitt »

I try to stay close to what I know in depicting people's occupations. Woodworking seems to run in my family; I'm probably the least skilled, but did make a number of pieces of furniture when I was younger. I did have to research the blacksmithing, including visiting some smiths and smithies. I haven't been a cavalry officer [mounted type, that is], but have drawn upon my own military experience and extensive reading.

All the musical references come courtesy of my wife, a singer, director, and professor of voice and opera.

I have an extensive private research library, which grows every year, and I'm not afraid to ask questions of the experts I know.

L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
Ron Lambert
Bookworm

Post by Ron Lambert »

The fantasy world of Recluce has really engrossed me since I discovered it. Coming from reading mainly science fiction I have been really surprised at how much I like this kind of fantasy.

Also, I was intrigued at the way Mr. Modesitt links his fantasy world to the "Rational Stars," and the other realms of space, perhaps other universes, where the "Angels" of Order fought the "Demons" of Chaos in a great space war (in A Fall of Angels). I keep wondering who won the space war, and will we ever see more interaction between the Rational Stars and the world of Recluce, or another world like Recluce? Will there be any resolution of the issues of Order vs. Chaos among the angels and demons in their space?

Mr. Modesitt has also written many excellent straight science fiction novels. Will there be any further connection between the straight sf and the fantasy in future works?
lmodesitt
Professional Wordsmith

Connections

Post by lmodesitt »

I'm currently working on the fourth Corean Chronicles book, and there are some "connections," albeit different ones, between fantasy and SF concepts. As for future Recluce books... since the only one written is Ordermaster, the sequel to Wellspring of Chaos, and that doesn't deal with the angels or demons, except in reference to the Code of Cyador, I can't say what else might occur.

L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
Kagnok
Scribe

connections

Post by Kagnok »

Mr. Modesitt, you probably are one of the few authors who don't have trouble blending SF and Fantasy concepts in your works. I think I recall you saying at a book signing that a different fantasy author remarked "you don't even write fantasy!"

Do I recall correctly? and if so, do you feel pressure (from authors, editors, or fans) to "stick to one genre"? I know there are such "purists" among readers, and presume they live in the writers' world as well.
On Earth as it is in Theory
lmodesitt
Professional Wordsmith

Pressures

Post by lmodesitt »

I certainly don't face such pressures either from my publisher [Tor] or from my editors. Nor am I aware of pressure to stick to one "genre."

On the other hand, it is clear that there is a certain prejudice by some against my style, and that might be reflected in the fact that I've had something like four nominations for awards from the Romance field [despite the fact that I don't write sex scenes or "steam"] and not a single nomination for a U.S. science fiction or fantasy award.

L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
Ron Lambert
Bookworm

Post by Ron Lambert »

Thank you for your response to my post. I look forward to your fourth Corean Chronicles book.

It is fascinating the different ways that you have magic working in the Corean Chronicles. And yet again in the Spellsong Cycle. But there are also similarities. Magic often gives the wielders migraines. And all your characters seem inordinately fond of cheese.

Your longest series is the Recluce series. I know you did not write them in chronological order; The Magic of Recluce, your first book you wrote in the series, comes near the end. I was wondering if you have a listing somewhere of where each story might come in chronological order, historically.

I would guess that Magi'i of Cyador and Scion of Cyador come near the beginning, since there are references to the arrival on Candar of an apparent colonizing ship from "the Rational Stars" a few centuries earlier, whose "demon" crew give rise to the white mages of Chaos. And then some time after that comes the events of A Fall of Angels, when the "angel" crew crash lands on the Roof of the World, and gives rise to the black mages of Order.

Originally I wanted to read all these books in historical sequence, but I soon found that was impossible to tell from your publication dates.

I am amazed at how much of the past you allude to in The Magic of Recluce you were able to stick to pretty faithfully in your later books that actually came earlier chronologically. How much of this history did you map out before you wrote your first book in the Recluce series? You seem to have been pretty near as thorough and detailed as Tolkien.
torybear
Literature Addict

Re: Pressures

Post by torybear »

lmodesitt wrote: On the other hand, it is clear that there is a certain prejudice by some against my style, and that might be reflected in the fact that I've had something like four nominations for awards from the Romance field [despite the fact that I don't write sex scenes or "steam"] and not a single nomination for a U.S. science fiction or fantasy award.

L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
Uncomfortable giggle
Romance? While, like all of the relationships that develop within your novels, the character's romantic lives are suprisingly well developed in terms of depth I don't think Romance is the proper category.

Sigh....I am going to have to add this to the frustrating list of things in this world to which no amount of analytical thought leads me to a reasonable argument.
lmodesitt
Professional Wordsmith

Recluce chronology

Post by lmodesitt »

The Recluce chronology is largely listed on Michael Sauers website, http://www.webpan.com/msauers/modesitt/, with the possible exception of Wellspring of Chaos, which takes place some 60 years after The Order War.

L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
lmodesitt
Professional Wordsmith

Romance?

Post by lmodesitt »

I can't explain it, but the Romantic Times BookClub nominated Darksong Rising, Magi'i of Cyador, andThe Ethos Effect for RT Awards. Last year [2003], Shadowsinger won the RT Award for best romantic epic fantasy. On the other hand, I've never been even nominated for World Fantasy Award, a Nebula, or a Hugo.

L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
MidasKnight
Centrist

Post by MidasKnight »

... and I hope you never do. I've only read a few of each, but I can honestly say I have yet to read a Hugo or Nebula winner that I liked. I'm starting to use them as signs of books to avoid.
In the 60’s, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.
Ron Lambert
Bookworm

Post by Ron Lambert »

Thanks again, L.E.M. That's just what I was looking for. I see you prefer that the books be read in order of release. I've pretty much done that. It was good to see the chronology mapped out though.
Kahrey
Fairy Tale Heroine - aka "Cinders"

Post by Kahrey »

out of curiousity Mr. Modesitt, do you lean towards chaos or order? or do you at all?
"Life is trial and error. Those who succeed are those who survive their failures and keep trying." - LE Modesitt, Jr.
lmodesitt
Professional Wordsmith

Order/chaos Tendencies

Post by lmodesitt »

I tend to be a "neatnik" who assembles chaos into order and, occasionally, vice versa. At times, I've even led an "orderly" life that created chaos all around me. Mostly, these days, I try to avoid extremes.

L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
MidasKnight
Centrist

Post by MidasKnight »

It is way too much effort for me to avoid extremes. I can usually succeed for about half a day but then I get moderation backlash (wicked, wicked state of being, avoid it at all costs).

I'm definitely an extremist with a net value of moderate, but I can't do moderate on an empirical level.
In the 60’s, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.
MatrimK
Apprentice Scribe

Post by MatrimK »

Mr. Modesitt,

In relation to the thread Tabletop RPG, I was wondering if you think people are born with the ability to be mages or whether everyone can, just few have the drive or curiousity to become one.

Also do you think what is being discussed does your ideas justice? I would love to hear ideas or insight from the person who created this world that we are trying to interpret into a roleplaying game.

Matrim
lmodesitt
Professional Wordsmith

Mages, et al

Post by lmodesitt »

Talents in individuals vary widely. Some in our world have the ability to be athletes, others scholars, others business people. In worlds where magic exists, not all individuals will have the talent to handle it, and still fewer the intelligence and discipline to use it well.

Because I am not a gamer, nor a game designer, it's hard for me to translate what I wrote into gaming terms, and it's probably better to leave that to others who have that inclination and talent.

L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
Olmy Ap Sennon
Apprentice Scribe

Re: Recluce chronology

Post by Olmy Ap Sennon »

lmodesitt wrote:The Recluce chronology is largely listed on Michael Sauers website, http://www.webpan.com/msauers/modesitt/, with the possible exception of Wellspring of Chaos, which takes place some 60 years after The Order War.

L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
Is there a chronology for the sci fi books? I know there is some overlapping but I need dates! :wink:
-Olmy
telnet://recluce.game-host.org:5000
www.nutrafitness.com/reclucechat.htm
www.nutrafitness.com/phpBB2
All societies are evil, sorrowful, and inequitable... learn to live in it and then teach others the same.
-L.E.Modesitt jr
Gravity Dreams
lmodesitt
Professional Wordsmith

SF Book Dates

Post by lmodesitt »

No... there's no chronology for the SF books, because each set takes place in a different future. They're not like Heinlein's future history.

L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
RecluceMage
Devoted Scholar

Re: SF Book Dates

Post by RecluceMage »

lmodesitt wrote:No... there's no chronology for the SF books, because each set takes place in a different future. They're not like Heinlein's future history.
They do take place in different futures, but some of the series could have their own chronologies. Like the Ghost series (3 books), The ParafaithWar/Ethos Effect, the Ecolitian series (4 books), and the Forever Hero series (3 books). There's potential out there, not to tie them all in, but to set out the chronologies of the seperate series. :idea:
lmodesitt
Professional Wordsmith

Dates--

Post by lmodesitt »

I surrender. I have to admit I don't understand this fixation with dates when the books don't relate to a "larger" history. The need for dates makes sense to me with a saga such as Recluce, but... oh well..

Ghost Books --
Of Tangible Ghosts, begins in the "alternate" Columbia in October, 1993
The Ghost of the Revelator, October 1994
Ghost of the White Nights, late September 1995

The Forever Hero -- begins approximately in 7700 A.D.

Adiamante -- begins approximately 12,000 A.D.

Gravity Dreams -- begins roughly 6611 A.D.

The Ecolitan Books --

The Ecolitan Operation, begins 3545 A.D.

The Ecologic Envoy, begins roughly 4410 A.D.

The Octagonal Raven 375 N.E. [New Era], approximately 2475 A.D.

The Parafaith War
, begins 788 [roughly 3400 A.D]

The Ethos Effect , begins 1038 [3650 A.D.]

Flash, begins 2140 A.D.

Archform: Beauty, begins 2378 A.D.

Now... is everyone satisfied, or will this just provoke a long series of "discussions" and quibbles?

L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
Gil galad
Assistant Scholar

Post by Gil galad »

:P yep im sure you've just started off a sequence of long winded discussions and quibbles :P

not that im complaining about the info :thumb:
Aunflin
Legionnaire

Post by Aunflin »

Personally, I never really cared about the sci-fi dates, since such seemed unnecessary. I just can't wait to read Flash--it sounds positively fascinating. And of course, I'm terribly eager to read Scepters, too. Alucius has to be one of my favorite characters ever :thumb:
"A writer's chosen task is to write well and professionally. If you can't keep doing it, then you're no longer a professional, but a gifted amateur." L. E. Modessit, jr.
Tuck
Bookworm

Post by Tuck »

This is my first time posting here, so if any questions I ask have been answered previously forgive me in advance. In addition, I'd like to express how much I have enjoyed reading your books.

Note: spoiler

I just finished reading Wellspring of Chaos and was struck by something that seems to be consistent with the rest of the books I have read in the recluse series, but which was particularily noticable in this book. Namely, there seems to be almost a lack of emotion or expressed emotion, even when something horrific has occurred.
For example, Kharl's wife is hung, Jenevera is murdered, and a number of other things occur which are truely events that should cause some fairly strong emotional responses. Yet, in most cases he seems more resigned to what is happening around him, and we never really see him grieve about these events to any great extent. It just seems odd that for someone who is truly so aware of injustice that he feels the need to intervene and help others does not express these emotions at least to himself when it is written mainly from his POV. I guess I am mainly wondering if this deliberate and if so why?

It was something that just struck me and any insight would be wonderful!
Last edited by Tuck on Sun May 16, 2004 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Imagine all you could do, if you could do all you imagine.

Return to “L. E. Modesitt”