News Briefs: Astronomy, Astophysics & Space Exploration

A well known polymath whose published works range far and wide, including (but not limited to) Archaeology, Paleontology, Astronomy, Space Propulsion systems, and Science Fiction.

Official Website: http://www.charlespellegrino.com

Moderators: Mr. Titanic, Charlie P., ed_the_engineer

Darb
Punoholic

Post by Darb »

Wavemaker. Ain't gravity grand ?
Cool. It's hard to appreciate the 3-dimensionality of that effect when looking at bands that trick the eye into seeing it at 2 dimensions.

I assume the ripples are caused by the micro-gravity distortions of the asteroid-like object in the center ... causing nearby bands on either side to twist/spiral slightly in their endless spiral around Saturn (which looks like waves when viewed from an angle) ?
Darb
Punoholic

Post by Darb »

Dustdevil on Mars. Spirit, Sol 446.
Very cool.

They showed an effect like that in last week's Space Odyssey: Voyage to the Planets and Beyond on The Discovery Channel. Anyone watch that ? Some of the segments were a little far fetched (landing a person on IO is just plain nuts), but it was interesting.
clong
Blade Runner

Post by clong »

Two amateur astronomers in New Zealand helped find the world using "backyard" telescopes, showing that almost anyone can become a planet hunter.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4574233.stm
Darb
Punoholic

Post by Darb »

Two amateur astronomers in New Zealand helped find the world using "backyard" telescopes
Interesting article. Much of the grunt work in Astronomy is done by amateurs - including, for instance, most of the asteroids catalogued for the NEAR project.
clong
Blade Runner

Post by clong »

NASA briefing on Deep Impact Comet Mission live on the www Thursday:

http://www.nasa.gov/home/hqnews/2005/ju ... efing.html
Last edited by clong on Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darb
Punoholic

Post by Darb »

One of the mars rovers that has been stuck in a sand dune for the past 5 weeks has finally succeeded in getting itself unstuck ! :mrgreen:
Darb
Punoholic

Post by Darb »

Bozola
Bookworm

Post by Bozola »

Opportunity finally escapes sand trap <--- warning: bandwidth intensive

Woohoo!

[Mod alert: replaced image with hyperlink, to fix screenwidth problem. -- Brad]
Solitudinem fecerunt, pacem appelunt
Darb
Punoholic

Post by Darb »

/me celebrates by cueing up some Beach Boys music. :mrgreen:
Darb
Punoholic

Post by Darb »

Oh, before I forget - I heard on NPR radio earlier that one of the rover's panoramic cameras caught what appears to be a meteorite flashing across the sky. Either that or it was our old friend, the long lost Viking ... ahem ... UFO. :P

I'll try to find a picture/article sometime later today.
Bozola
Bookworm

Ice Volcanos....sound familiar for some reason.

Post by Bozola »

AstroBio
Titan's icy volcanoes may be releasing methane, scientists report this week in the journal Nature.

Looking at infrared data gathered by the Cassini spacecraft as it flew by Titan on October 26, 2004, Christophe Sotin and colleagues saw a 30-kilometer-wide feature that they believe is an ice volcano.

"We propose that the structure is a dome formed by upwelling icy plumes that release methane into Titan's atmosphere," the scientists write.

The surface temperature of Titan is about 94 degrees Kelvin (minus 291 Fahrenheit), so for a volcano to erupt, heat would be needed to melt Titan's icy crust. The scientists say that Titan's eccentric orbit around Saturn should tidally compress the moon, providing enough heat for such cryovolcanic eruptions.
Sure looks like the pingol-like structure on Enceladus on page 3 of this thread....Hmmmm.
Solitudinem fecerunt, pacem appelunt
Darb
Punoholic

Post by Darb »

Yep.

Not sure if there's still hope of it being named Mt. Pellegrino.

Charlie's deep into his Titanic expedition preps, so I haven't tried to bother him in the last week. I figure he's up to his eyeballs at the moment.
clong
Blade Runner

Post by clong »

Most Earth-like exoplanet yet is discovered:

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn7517
Darb
Punoholic

Post by Darb »

NASA's Deep Impact Probe: TARGET ACQUIRED

Impactor Mass: 370 kilograms (816 lbs)
Impactor Speed: 10.2 Kilometers/sec (22,817 mph, or roughly Mach 31)
Impact Force: Equalivant to 4.8 tons of TNT (ouch) :shock:
Target: Comet Temple 1 (diam = 6 km)

Date of Impact: July 4th, early morning EST (a good day for fireworks) :mrgreen:

Yeah, that's gonna leave a mark. :thumb:
clong
Blade Runner

Post by clong »

Are you being smashed to bits when it hits?

http://www.space.com/businesstechnology ... t_CDs.html
Darb
Punoholic

Post by Darb »

If I'd know, I'd certainly have added my name to the list ... and yours, Mr. Toeman.

Ain't that a kick in the head ? :butter:
Darb
Punoholic

Post by Darb »

Say, did I mention that Charlie Pellegrino loves to discuss relatavistic bombs and asteroid impacts ?

It's a topic that permeates many of his published works, directly or indirectly.
laurie
Spelling Mistress
Location: The part of New York where "flurries" means 2 feet of snow to shovel

Post by laurie »

Brad wrote:... relatavistic bombs and asteroid impacts ...
Oh, what my (evil) mind could do with that phrase ... :twisted:

BTW, Brad, it's relativistic, unless science has a different spelling I never heard.

My name isn't on the CD, but a friend's son's 8th grade science class all signed up. Their teacher is hosting a party for the kids that night so they can watch the updates together and see themselves get blown to smithereens. :roll:
"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife." -- Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

"So where the hell is he?" -- Laurie
Zomboy
Apprentice Scribe

With Apologies To "Julie Andrews, et al"

Post by Zomboy »

From Charlie's Song???

"Ascorbic reactions,
Subatomic annihilations,
These are a few of my favourite things!"

Oh yes, apologies to Charlie too!

It's July 1st north of the 48th Parallel, or Canada Day - 138 years and still going strong...Eh?

And a Happy July 4th to Brad, Charlie and all of my American forum comrades!!

And of course, a little Reality Check a la Zomboy: "Nationalism, like religion and politics are good things if taken in moderation!"
"No matter where you go, there you are."
Buckaroo Bonsai
Darb
Punoholic

Post by Darb »

At 3:51pm, EST tomorrow, the Space Shuttle is scheduled to return to space for the first time since the re-entry disaster in 2003. Good luck, and God speed.
Darb
Punoholic

Post by Darb »

(snip)
Faulty Sensor Scrubs Discovery Launch

A faulty fuel sensor aboard Discovery today forced NASA to scrub its first attempt to launch a space shuttle since the Columbia disaster 2 1/2 years ago. "A low-level fuel sensor in the external fuel tank, one of a set of four -- two of which are needed to work" forced mission controllers to postpone the launch for at least the day. "It will take some time really to understand what to do to remedy the situation," NASA said.
wolfspirit
MST3K

Post by wolfspirit »

Brad wrote:(snip)
Faulty Sensor Scrubs Discovery Launch

A faulty fuel sensor aboard Discovery today forced NASA to scrub its first attempt to launch a space shuttle since the Columbia disaster 2 1/2 years ago. "A low-level fuel sensor in the external fuel tank, one of a set of four -- two of which are needed to work" forced mission controllers to postpone the launch for at least the day. "It will take some time really to understand what to do to remedy the situation," NASA said.
Boo!

We want a shuttle launcher not a belly itcher (ok, that sounded much better in my head).....

Hope it gets lanched soon!

magicfan241
laurie
Spelling Mistress

Post by laurie »

I heard they've re-scheduled it for Saturday. I'm glad they're being extra careful ...
"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife." -- Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

Darb
Punoholic

Post by Darb »

Last I heard, Saturday isn't looking so hot ... I think there's one more launch window they can attempt sometime next week, after which they'll have to wait until September for the correct orbital trajectory in order to have enough fuel to reach the international space station.

Intermittant circuit errors are the worst, because they never seem to want to happen when you need them to.
laurie
Spelling Mistress

Post by laurie »

According to the NASA website, if they can fix the sensor problem, Discovery will launch approx. 4 days later. The launch window closes July 31, so if the sensor can be fixed between now and July 26/27, they're good to go.

Hopefully nothing else will break down ...

Return to “Charles Pellegrino”