Theodore Hamilton Sturgeon - Aliens 4 - 8

Here you can post book reviews for the IBDoF. Share your thoughts with the world and tell us what you think of the latest book you've read.

[NOTE: to create a properly linked book review thread here in TCC, please click on the "Review this Book" link from the applicable detailed book view in the IBDoF database - it will automatically generate a linked review here.

Moderators: clong, Mr. Titanic

clong
Blade Runner

Theodore Hamilton Sturgeon - Aliens 4 - 8

Post by clong »

Aliens 4

Aliens 4 is another strong collection from Sturgeon. "Killdozer!" is a classic novella, a tale of a group of men sent to a Pacific island to construct an airfield during WWII. The men unleash a demonic power that takes possession of powerful bulldozer and sets out to kill them. The rising tensions and deteriorating relationships among the men are very well sketched. Stephen King must have read this one during his formative years. "The (Widget), the (Wadget), and Boff" is another very strong novella, a tale of a pair of alien observers trying to understand man. At times quite funny, this story is a great example of Sturgeon's insightful treatment of human emotions, neuroses, and even love. The two short stories, "The Comedian's Children" and "Cactus Dance" are also well worth your time.

Have you read this book? Click here to rate it!
violetblue
Viking Skald

Post by violetblue »

Before I read your line about Stephen King maybe having read this during his formative years, I immediately thought of that King story where the trucks come to life. Bulldozers would probably be more effective at creating havoc, if not a bit more lumbering. "Watch out, here comes that killer 'dozer going 5 miles an hour! Try to get out of the way!"
N is for NEVILLE, who died of ennui
--Edward Gorley
zxvasdf
Bookworm

Post by zxvasdf »

theodore sturgeon is king. i went through my formative years never reading him, but i was reading stephen king, orson scott card, gregory benford, amongst others. i had to find out about theodore sturgeon last year, and i wish i had found about him earlier. i loved 'godbody' 'a cosmic rape' 'microcosmic god' 'some of your blood' and my favorite 'more than human'

Return to “The Critic's Corner”