More Questions from an L.E. Modesitt Fan

A place to discuss the rich and varied worlds of L.E. Modesitt, Jr. All are welcome!

Official Website: here. Official Fan site: here

Moderators: Ghost, lmodesitt

newLEMfan
Bookworm

Re: More Questions from an L.E. Modesitt Fan

Post by newLEMfan »

Dear Sir

I just read the Imager books and enjoyed them greatly.

I like way the Collegium has to conform itself to fit into a society which otherwise would destroy them.

I'm anxiously awaiting book 3 of The Imager Portfolio, but am VEXED by the mystery of how humans got on a clearly alien planet.

Any chance there'll be answers in Imager's Intrigue?
CodeBlower
Shakespearean Groupie

Post by CodeBlower »

I guess I never considered Rhynn as possibly being human ..
"Budge up, yeh great lump." -- Hagrid, HP:SS
-=-
The gelding is what the gelding is, unlike people who change in response to their perceptions of events that may benefit or threaten their power. -- Lorn, Chapter LXXXII, Magi'i of Cyador
lmodesitt
Professional Wordsmith

Post by lmodesitt »

From my point of view, since imaging is not possible in "our" universe, Rhenn lives in an alternate universe, where life evolved in a similar fashion -- certainly not implausible, given the billions of stars in the billions of galaxies likely in a universe similar to ours.

L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
newLEMfan
Bookworm

Post by newLEMfan »

Yeah, the alternate universe/parallel evolution works but I think the good ol' arkship-colonists-have-insufficent-population/resources-to-maintain-technoculture-and-fall-into-dark-ages has a charming je ne se qua.

Thank you for your valuable time and your quick response.
Tranquilis
Bookworm

Re:

Post by Tranquilis »

lmodesitt wrote:Obviously, it's just my opinion, but I think that commercials as we now see them on "television" have a limited lifespan. Once what I would call "real-time" editing of video programming becomes cheap enough and easy enough for everyone to master it... most probably will.[/b]
In fact, if you watch any major sporting even on TV in the United States (and likely elsewhere, though I can't be certain), you'll see what amounts to real-time blue- or green-screening in action - The adverts behind home plate in baseball, for instance, are green-screened in depending on where you're watching and what time of the game it is. Likewise, images are sometimes subtly screened in, in American Football - either along the sidelines, or even on the field of play itself.

The technology isn't totally commercial, though - Some of what's screened in on the field of play in American Football includes the First Down Line (yellow bar) and other markers that help the viewer at home determine the state of play.
jmucchiello
Apprentice Scribe

Re: Re:

Post by jmucchiello »

Tranquilis wrote:]In fact, if you watch any major sporting even on TV in the United States (and likely elsewhere, though I can't be certain), you'll see what amounts to real-time blue- or green-screening in action - The adverts behind home plate in baseball, for instance, are green-screened in depending on where you're watching and what time of the game it is.
And even who's at the plate. When hype for Japanese phenom Hideki Matsui coming to the US to play for the NY Yankees was fever pitch (in Japan), whenever he was at bat in Yankee Stadium, the broadcast overlay onto the green screen advert behind the plate was generally an advert for something in Japan and in Japanese. What I always thought was odd about that was the idea that fans in Japan would wake up at 4am to watch the game live.
Tranquilis
Bookworm

Post by Tranquilis »

Heh!

Never underestimate the devotion of a fan of a game. I've known sports fans to set their alarms to oddball hours, even arrange watchstation or duty section relief, just to be able to tune in to a particular game/team/event. Heck, we had a chief out on the Russell who would drag his own personal TV into the shop specifically to watch the Preakness race every year.
:wink:
Locke
Bookworm

Post by Locke »

I remember liking the city names in "The Octagonal Raven." I'd like to remember them, but I don't have the book handy; does anyone else recall?
lmodesitt
Professional Wordsmith

Post by lmodesitt »

Here are a few of the names: Vallura, Yunvil,Willston, Kewood, Kuritim, Helnya, Cydonya, Tyanjin, Cedacy, Ankorplex, Kievplex.

L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
rpschmitz
Scribe

Post by rpschmitz »

I know you have probably answered this before...

How do you devolope your story ideas?

I've just finished Empress of Eternity and found it fascinating. How did you come to the conclusion to have three separate (yet connected) narratives in three different far-future time periods?

And are you going to write another science fiction novel after the third book of the next Imager trilogy? I hope so. You're about the only science fiction writer I read these days--I read your fantasies and others: but only your science fiction...

Just hoping... :)
In case of stairs, use fire. :?
lmodesitt
Professional Wordsmith

Post by lmodesitt »

The ideas behind Empress of Eternity came from a confluence of several other ideas: speculation on the nature of time, and the issue of whether all events exist simultaneously and whether causality/sequential experience generates "time"; the issue of why certain archtypes of myth are common across civilizations that have not experienced the same events; wanting to show certain commonalities of different civilizations; plus a few more.

I certainly plan to write more science fiction, but it appears as though I picked too big a story arc for the next Imager Portfolio "trilogy," and it looks like there will be four books in the next sub-series. The first is Scholar, and it's in production and will be released in October. The second is Princeps, and it's under final review by my editors, which means it will probably need minor revisions [I hope they're only minor], and it is tentatively scheduled for late spring or summer 2012. The third book is a little less than a third done, and there are only a few scattered chapters of the fourth [but I do know where and how it will end].

Because I'm obligated to finish the fourth book before I can publish anything else, however, it's likely to be late this year before I get to anything else -- which will likely be a science fiction book.

L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
rpschmitz
Scribe

Post by rpschmitz »

Thank you.

I can't wait to read the new Imager books (I really liked the first three) and the inevitable science fiction novel. I always look forward to your books. Thanks for your time.
rpschmitz
Scribe

Post by rpschmitz »

I've been thinking, after my post two days ago, that I had similiar (non-educated) ideas about time when I was a youngster. (I'm not making this up--your book made me recall this information.)

When I was a kid I loved reading stuff about dinosaurs, primitive humans, and other ancient/extinct creatures... And I would have moments, just thinking, what is happening at this very moment two million years ago. (This was when I was nine or ten.) I would have this image of a prehistoric creature doing its thing...but instead of feeling imaginary, it seemed the animal could actually be existing at the same time as I was--but two million years before. I even have a bizarre memory of a dream that I was reincarnated from a dying dinosaur of some type--sounds crazy, but it is one of my oldest memories...

Also, I think Empress of Eternity is your best book so far. (I actually just finished re-reading it after just reading it... Flash used to be my favorite...now

this. :clap:

And not to be insulting, I've noted the progression of your writing over the years: you just keep getting better.

I love your earlier stuff. But as you progress: each book improves upon the last--it's awesome!
Locke
Bookworm

Post by Locke »

Mr. Modesitt, what do you think about enlightenment?

What was the inspiration for Justen's "test" in Naclos in The Order War?
janneyk
Bookworm

Post by janneyk »

Wellspring of Chaos is the twelfth book in the Saga of Recluce and takes place some 60 years after The Order War. It is set largely in Nordla and Austra, and the main character is Kharl, a cooper in Brysta. The thirteenth book is entitled Ordermaster and takes place several years after Wellspring of Chaos. It opens in Austra.
Locke
Bookworm

Post by Locke »

Locke wrote:Mr. Modesitt, what do you think about enlightenment?

What was the inspiration for Justen's "test" in Naclos in The Order War?
New to this, sorry. Starting to get it.
lmodesitt
Professional Wordsmith

Post by lmodesitt »

I can't say that there was any one source for Justen's "test" in The Order War. I've discovered, over the years, that life "tests" us all. Some tests are formal, such as in school, or to determine professional qualifications, such as pilot check rides, bar exams or medical board certifications. Others are meted out by events in life, but one thing is certain. Very few escape "testing" in one form or another. Life in the world of Recluce is no different in that regard.

L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
MidasKnight
Centrist

Post by MidasKnight »

It looks as if Mr Modesitt will be in Reno at some sci fi convention in August.

I am not sure what a sci fi convention is, but if it provides me with an opportunity to meet Mr Modesitt, I'm in!
In the 60’s, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.
E Pericoloso Sporgersi
Sir E of the Knights Errant

Post by E Pericoloso Sporgersi »

MidasKnight wrote:It looks as if Mr Modesitt will be in Reno at some sci fi convention in August.
I think that will be "Renovation", the 2011 World Science Fiction Convention.
Oldstone
Bookworm

Post by Oldstone »

I am wondering if Mr. Modesitt will ever write the story of Kiedral Daloren. After all, it is the real beginning of the Recluse world story. Thanks for many hours of reading enjoyment and inspiration.
lmodesitt
Professional Wordsmith

Post by lmodesitt »

I might write a story about Kiedral, but it's unlikely that I'll write an entire novel.

L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
CodeBlower
Shakespearean Groupie

Post by CodeBlower »

I was sitting, working, the other day and my mind wandered back to Anya and the descriptions of her favorite scent.

My memory was that it was "sandalwood and trilia".

In order to determine, for myself, what the fragrance would be like, I started searching at Wikipedia.
Wikipedia wrote:Sandalwoods are medium-sized hemiparasitic trees.
Further ..
Wikipedia wrote:Hemiparasite – a plant that is parasitic under natural conditions and is also photosynthetic to some degree. Hemiparasites may just obtain water and mineral nutrients from the host plant. Many obtain at least part of their organic nutrients from the host as well.
My question is:

- Did you pick sandalwood because of it's aromatic properties alone? Is it merely an odd coincidence that Anya's personality was as parasitic as the plant from which she got her favored fragrance?

Semi-related question:

- The best I can find for "trilia" is a quote from "The Magic of Recluce" that it is a "bittersweet orange" smell. Am I not searching in the right places, or did you invent this flower/fragrance for the books?

Thank you, as always, for your kind responses.
"Budge up, yeh great lump." -- Hagrid, HP:SS
-=-
The gelding is what the gelding is, unlike people who change in response to their perceptions of events that may benefit or threaten their power. -- Lorn, Chapter LXXXII, Magi'i of Cyador
laurie
Spelling Mistress
Location: The part of New York where "flurries" means 2 feet of snow to shovel

Post by laurie »

CodeBlower wrote:The best I can find for "trilia" is a quote from "The Magic of Recluce" that it is a "bittersweet orange" smell. Am I not searching in the right places, or did you invent this flower/fragrance for the books?

Perhaps it's Trillium?
"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife." -- Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

"So where the hell is he?" -- Laurie
lmodesitt
Professional Wordsmith

Post by lmodesitt »

I invented trilia for the books.

L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
gollum
Coveter of the Ring

Post by gollum »

Hi Mr M,
May have an opportunity to buy some old Analog books. What sweetened the deal was that one of them - May 1973 - listed you as a contributor.
Browsing various online searches didn't turn-up listing or references.

Could you tell us the story title (and maybe a few words about the plot?)

Return to “L. E. Modesitt”