Dynamic Map of the World of Recluce, now online!

A place to discuss the rich and varied worlds of L.E. Modesitt, Jr. All are welcome!

Official Website: here. Official Fan site: here

Moderators: Ghost, lmodesitt

tsaavik
Bookworm

Re: Dynamic Map of the World of Recluce, now online!

Post by tsaavik »

If you ever do let me know! The mapping is overlayed on the image, so it would just be a matter of alignment and resolution matching to overlay on a different map.
I could even have a button/switch to flip between views. :D
tsaavik
Bookworm

Post by tsaavik »

I've recently made some small changes that should help view the maps on mobile devices.
tabbott
Bookworm

Post by tabbott »

All the links I tried are died. The last post did not look to old, so I have hopes you are still working on it and it is somewhere to be found.

I have been looking for maps for his series for a long time. I always have trouble visualizing maps in my head and he gives almost nothing. I am working on one for Lornth for Arms Commander with all the towns and holdings mentioned.
tsaavik
Bookworm

Post by tsaavik »

I haven't made any changes in a while, but it seems to be working for me right now.
I still have a bunch of notes for death/order and wellspring that I havn't put into it (yet?). Just need to get back to it some day :P

Give it another shot here: http://www.hellspark.com/dm/maps/recluce/

If anyone is interested in doing the leg work (just putting the coordinates into the wiki), I can send you my notes.
tabbott
Bookworm

Post by tabbott »

I would not mind helping, but I can not load the page. I tried Chrome, FireFox, and Explorer and all said connection has timed out. I was able to pull up a cache on the page on Chrome, but the map does not load in the cache. You might not have issues because the files are cached on your computer or it requires programs or files that are on your computer only. Whatever the reason I can not load it.
tabbott
Bookworm

Post by tabbott »

The more I think about it the more I think you have a website set up fine, but the actual map is a file on your computer. That would make it look fine to you, but nobody else could load it. How big of a file is the "Worldmap.gif" as that seems to be the part I can not load and Google can not cache. Every time I try to load the page I get...

This webpage is not available

ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT
tsaavik
Bookworm

Post by tsaavik »

The website is hosted on a Linux server via Time Warner 30/10 connection.
(the above picture is hosed by the same server)

It's monitored by pingdom: http://www.hellspark.com 99.95% uptime this month. Perhaps you tried to logon during one of Time Warner's outages?
tabbott
Bookworm

Post by tabbott »

Still nothing...

Not all servers will let you direct link a post and image. That image does not show up. It will for you though because the file is also on your computer and cached already. Before Facebook took off I used to host all my linked pictures for message boards in Geocity, until they blocked hot links. I then put them on my brother's server for a while and eventually moved over to PhotoBucket. Last I knew they still allowed hot links (or whatever you call it). Mostly I just use Facebook for things like my painting services...

https://www.facebook.com/toddabbottpainting/

PhotoBucket still works well for hosting images...

tsaavik
Bookworm

Post by tsaavik »

Okay, figured out the issue this morning. Was REALLY tricky one.
My dynamic dns was flapping between the external and internal address of the server.

When it flapped to internal, it of course looked fine when I was at home :)
Unfortunately whenever pingdom checked in, the interface was in the correct state, so it never noticed the outage.

I'm fixing it now, and your DNS server should get the correct update in the next hour or so, thanks for pointing this out and helping me find the issue!

I've modified the dynamic dns to email me whenever the IP changes, so hopefully should notice something like this in the future.
tabbott
Bookworm

Post by tabbott »

OK... it works now. I was hoping on just a more detailed map and the ones I was most looking for you do not have updated. I will e-mail you a picture of the updated map of Lornth for all the towns and holdings listed in Arms Commander. I am not doing routes, but just a complete map. I'm about 2/3 done.
tsaavik
Bookworm

Post by tsaavik »

Yeah, I 'phoned in' arms commander with the one location :)

You can input the data here if you like
http://www.hellspark.com/mywiki/Recluce ... sCommander

user/pass is guest, had to add that a while back due to all the spam bots that try to insert ads into wikis :(
tabbott
Bookworm

Post by tabbott »

Not sure how useful this is to you, but this was the map I came up with. I had to guess on a few, but these are all the Holdings (red circles) and towns (red dots) that they listed in the 'Arms-Commander'.

These are the kind of maps I wish they had in the books... especially Mage-Guard of Hamor, Cyador's Heirs, and Heritage of Cyador. Maybe I will work on a Mage-Guard of Hamor map next.
tsaavik
Bookworm

Post by tsaavik »

Wow, this is a very detailed level of...detail.
While the points could be added to my wiki, I believe this would render as a giant blob right now :)
Lemme think on this some.

in the meantime, would it be okay to copy this image to the wiki?
tabbott
Bookworm

Post by tabbott »

Sure. It is not 100% perfect and since it is time sensitive to this book the areas around it mean little. They mention Rulyarth as being part of Lornth, was captured by Suthya, retaken, then lost after Westwind destroyed Lornth's army. There was mention that this was a large port town, but in losing that territory they also lost several other holdings and towns. It also looks like after becoming Saronnyn she either took a large part to the North West that was unclaimed or Jerans because it is probably 2x or larger than Lornth was in the map I started with. I wish after the tiny epilogue... if they did not have enough for a second story they could have given a brief history or what Saron did.

And of course there is more detail. Lornth is not really that big and the entire cupe had maybe 1500 fighters with no more than 500 in one battle... and maybe 4 rather weak white mages. Most of the larger battles in Mage-Guard of Hamor had up to 10,000 troops in one battle with a half dozen mages.
mikor60
Apprentice Scribe

Post by mikor60 »

tabbott wrote:Not sure how useful this is to you, but this was the map I came up with. I had to guess on a few, but these are all the Holdings (red circles) and towns (red dots) that they listed in the 'Arms-Commander'.

These are the kind of maps I wish they had in the books... especially Mage-Guard of Hamor, Cyador's Heirs, and Heritage of Cyador. Maybe I will work on a Mage-Guard of Hamor map next.
I really like that, thank you! I like to follow maps along, and have tried, on occasion, to fill in the detail that the published maps lacked.

My wiki's been offline for a while, but I was able to upload most of the content to http://lemodesittjr.wikia.com -- although some clean-up may be required.
An example of a map with manually filled-in detail is here http://lemodesittjr.wikia.com/wiki/File ... 3_copy.svg -- I have mentioned it previously in another thread.
--Mikor60
L. E. Modesitt Wiki: lemodesittjr.wikia.com
tsaavik
Bookworm

Post by tsaavik »

Hey all, Just added Mongrel Mage and Outcasts of Order to the Recluce map
http://www.hellspark.com/dm/maps/recluce/

Haven't finished Outcasts yet, so that map is not complete, but I have a feeling I know where we are headed :D
And yes, I think I've figured out where exactly Axalt is (finally) :D
KevinT
Apprentice Scribe

Post by KevinT »

It's been a long time since I visited this thread, and I wanted to thank you once again for creating/hosting the dynamic maps and also thank tabbot for the map edit showing Lornth in the era of Saryn.

I just finished Fall of Angels in my re-read of the series in chronological order. I sure wish I'd seen tabbot's map a week ago!

The publisher should be ashamed of not commissioning the updated maps with places contemporary to each novel, and including them at the beginning of each.
tabbott
Bookworm

Post by tabbott »

I have a map I did up for Hamor with data from Cyador's Heirs and Heritage of Cyador as well as Natural Ordermage and Mage-Guard of Hamor. Sorry my free hosting limit was exceeded, so I just putt hem on my facebook....

https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5DDA4113

tsaavik
Bookworm

Post by tsaavik »

Map just updated with book 21, The Mage-Fire war.
I haven't finished the book yet, so not sure if it's 100% plotted or not :D

Remember, if you want to update map/wiki, the user and pass is just guest.
tsaavik
Bookworm

Post by tsaavik »

Map just updated with book 22, Fairhaven Rising
Just started, so I only have Fairhaven's location right now :D

Remember, if you want to update map/wiki, the user and pass is just guest.
CodeBlower
Shakespearean Groupie

Post by CodeBlower »

tsaavik wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:53 pm Remember, if you want to update map/wiki, the user and pass is just guest.
I don't trust myself to touch that data .. I spent half of the book, flipping back to the map.

I'm still so thankful for the time you've invested in this resource!
"Budge up, yeh great lump." -- Hagrid, HP:SS
-=-
The gelding is what the gelding is, unlike people who change in response to their perceptions of events that may benefit or threaten their power. -- Lorn, Chapter LXXXII, Magi'i of Cyador
tsaavik
Bookworm

Post by tsaavik »

Hey all!

Just got done adding Book #23 From the Forest to the mapping project at http://www.hellspark.com/dm/maps/recluce/
To view the book, click the continent of Candor (on the left) and pick from the books below.

I have not finished the book yet, I'm still in Jakaafra . If your further along than me feel free to update the wikipage User: guest Password: guest
Most cities/towns are already on the wiki somewhere in another book, so it's really just cut and paste, then within a few minutes the map will automatically update!

Since these books are prequels and change the chronological order of things, I've also replaced the book #s in the wiki page with Prequel/Sequel links so you can easily navigate the books through time :) Speaking of time, we seem to have added 400 years in universe so I updated all those as well!

Return to “L. E. Modesitt”