Mongrel Mage - hardcover - paper quality

A place to discuss the rich and varied worlds of L.E. Modesitt, Jr. All are welcome!

Official Website: here. Official Fan site: here

Moderators: Ghost, lmodesitt

CodeBlower
Shakespearean Groupie

Mongrel Mage - hardcover - paper quality

Post by CodeBlower »

First, I'm embarrassed to admit that I've been busy with other things and am just now catching up on Recluce.

I received a box of books from (insert your favorite online mega-retailer) that I ordered myself for Christmas (yay me!) and have started working my way through them.

I cracked open "Mongrel Mage" tonight -- and -- this paper has *got* to be recycled!

Anybody else have the hardcover edition? Is your paper the same?

I don't know whether to complain to mega-corp, Tor, both ..

I'm a little frustrated that two authors I care less about -- and whose works will be donated to the local public school -- have better paper in their books than the volumes I'm planning to keep for myself ..

BTW, the paper in "Recluce Tales" looks/smells/feels the same..
"Budge up, yeh great lump." -- Hagrid, HP:SS
-=-
The gelding is what the gelding is, unlike people who change in response to their perceptions of events that may benefit or threaten their power. -- Lorn, Chapter LXXXII, Magi'i of Cyador
Silver_Phoenix
Apprentice Scribe

Re: Mongrel Mage - hardcover - paper quality

Post by Silver_Phoenix »

I don't see any difference in the paper in my copy compared to other Modesitt hardcovers. The binding on Scion of Cyador was third rate at best though...
CodeBlower
Shakespearean Groupie

Post by CodeBlower »

Hmm. Do you remember where you got it from? The last book I bought was an Imager book -- but I've been getting the eBook versions of those -- so I can't compare that.
"Budge up, yeh great lump." -- Hagrid, HP:SS
-=-
The gelding is what the gelding is, unlike people who change in response to their perceptions of events that may benefit or threaten their power. -- Lorn, Chapter LXXXII, Magi'i of Cyador
Silver_Phoenix
Apprentice Scribe

Post by Silver_Phoenix »

I got my copy from Barnes & Noble.
Aunflin
Legionnaire

Post by Aunflin »

The paper quality does seem to be lacking. I thought Tor was just being cheap. The last few hardcovers I bought have been rather lightweight. The paper is different, though I am uncertain how to tell if its recycled or not.

The binding on my hardcover copy of Scion of Cyador was also rather shoddy. The spine cracked. Luckily, I found a practically brand new used copy to replace it.
"A writer's chosen task is to write well and professionally. If you can't keep doing it, then you're no longer a professional, but a gifted amateur." L. E. Modessit, jr.

Return to “L. E. Modesitt”