Proofreading

A place to discuss the rich and varied worlds of L.E. Modesitt, Jr. All are welcome!

Official Website: here. Official Fan site: here

Moderators: Ghost, lmodesitt

CodeBlower
Shakespearean Groupie

Re: Proofreading

Post by CodeBlower »

Assassin's Price
ePub version

Chapter 13
p. 188
"I'm encountered a few," ..
I'm -> I've

Chapter 22
p. 293
"They know I'm exaggerating slightly, but it does no harm, just as most men like to be told that that they dance well, even when they can barely avoid planting their feet on their partner's shoes."
(drop one "that")
"Budge up, yeh great lump." -- Hagrid, HP:SS
-=-
The gelding is what the gelding is, unlike people who change in response to their perceptions of events that may benefit or threaten their power. -- Lorn, Chapter LXXXII, Magi'i of Cyador
KevinT
Apprentice Scribe

Post by KevinT »

Chapter 6 of Assassin's Price (Kindle Edition)

"For the next three glasses, Subcommander Luerryn and Alastar rode through every lane in..."

Should be "...Subcommander and Charyn...".

Also, in Chapter 11 when describing Malyna’s first dinner at Chateau d’Rex:

"Charyn found that the seating had been changed so that he still sat on his father’s right, with his mother at the other end, but Aloryana was seated beside him, while Bhayrn sat on his mother’s right, and Malyna on Lorien’s right, which meant that Charyn was seated right across from Malyna."

Both Charyn and malyna can't both be seated to Lorien's immediate right, so I suspect that it should have been either:

"...Malyna on Lorien's left...", or
"Malyna on Bhayrn's right..."
Last edited by KevinT on Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KevinT
Apprentice Scribe

Post by KevinT »

Assassin's Price, first sentence of Chapter 51 (Kindle Edition)

“When Charyn woke on Solyai morning...”

I believe "Solayi" was intended.

------------------------------------------

Chapter 64, second paragraph

By the time, he reached the study...

That first comma probably shouldn't be there. The whole paragraph seems a bit like a run-on sentence, but maybe that's just me.

---------------------------------------
CodeBlower
Shakespearean Groupie

Post by CodeBlower »

Mongrel Mage
hardcover version

p. 174 (several pages into Chapter XXIII)
4th line from the top:
"The city didn't really felt that much .."
felt -> feel

p. 486
Chapter LXV, 2nd paragraph, last sentence
".. decided he didn't want to know that badly what Zandyr was so exercised about."
exercised -> excited?
-=-
The gelding is what the gelding is, unlike people who change in response to their perceptions of events that may benefit or threaten their power. -- Lorn, Chapter LXXXII, Magi'i of Cyador
lmodesitt
Professional Wordsmith

Post by lmodesitt »

Thank you.

The second one isn't a typo. It's a proper but seldom seen usage meaning roughly "all steamed up," but since Recluce doesn't have steam power at this time...

L. E. Modesitt
CodeBlower
Shakespearean Groupie

Post by CodeBlower »

;)

Just finished "Recluce Tales".

It took forever because: (a) things have been crazy, (b) I feel like I need a little sorbet between each "course".

I didn't find anything to report -- and thoroughly enjoyed myself -- although (as you noted in the introductions) the stories don't always end up going where I thought they would.
-=-
KevinT
Apprentice Scribe

Outcasts of Order

Post by KevinT »

I should have kept notes, but I noticed that there were a couple of instances in the Kindle Edition of Outcasts of Order where the word "keystone" was used to indicate what we might think of as a roadside mile marker, while in previous volumes I believe "kaystone" was used...presumably because distance in Candar is usually measured in "kays".

There was another spot late in the eBook where the wrong homonym (homophone?) was used--but I cant remember where. It was late and I was trying to finish the book.

Now, of course, I'm very sorry I finished it so soon. I'm really looking forward to the third Beltur book.
CodeBlower
Shakespearean Groupie

Post by CodeBlower »

Outcasts of Order
hardcover version

Chapter XXXVIII
p. 311 - middle of the page
"I thought it best to send in to the healing house," interjected Jessyla.
in -> it

Chapter XLV
p. 364 - 3rd paragraph
Jessyla was right about that, and less than a quint later he was at Barrynt's stabling Slowpoke. Jorhan had already saddled his mount and one for Barrynt. Then the three rode to the Council House."
(I believe Beltur walked from his place to Barrynt's - and the three of them were riding to the council meeting - so he shouldn't be "stabling" Slowpoke - he should be "saddling" him, I think.)

Chapter XC
p. 597 - 6th full paragraph
At that moment, the young server returned, accompanied by a much older woman, both quickly setting platters, as well as battered cutlery, in front of the dinners, and then returning to the kitchen.
dinners -> diners?

--

After seeing KevinT's note, I looked for the only two references to kaystones that I remembered - and found these "keystone" entries:
* Chapter XCV - p. 617 - 3rd paragraph of the new chapter
* Chapter XCVIII - p. 628 - 7th full paragraph
-=-
KevinT
Apprentice Scribe

Post by KevinT »

It's probably way too late for anything to be done about typos found in early books in the series, but since we're speaking of kaystones/keystones, I thought I'd mention that I've seen both terms used in the Kindle editions of Magi'i of Cyador and Scion of Cyador, which I have been reading for the first time this month. The first time I read the Lorn stories, I read the paperback form. I only mention it here because the mile marker inconsistency has apparently been going on longer than I had noticed.
lmodesitt
Professional Wordsmith

Post by lmodesitt »

The problem lies with too many autocorrect systems. When I write "kaystone," my software automatically changes it to "keystone." I have to change it back. Sometimes I don't catch it, and no spellchecker will pick it out.

L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
KevinT
Apprentice Scribe

Post by KevinT »

lmodesitt wrote:The problem lies with too many autocorrect systems. When I write "kaystone," my software automatically changes it to "keystone." I have to change it back. Sometimes I don't catch it, and no spellchecker will pick it out.

L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
I imagine the reverse is also true.

I've just reread Colors of Chaos, this time in the Kindle Edition. I was struck by how many times the word "Recluce" appears when "reduce" was clearly the intent. Lower case cl looks an similar to a lower case d, which makes me wonder if this was a case of an optical character recognition problem, as opposed to a traditional typo.
lmodesitt
Professional Wordsmith

Post by lmodesitt »

You're absolutely correct. All the older books were optically scanned. Then they were proofed, but the proofreaders missed more than a few instances, such as the ones you've found.

L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
CodeBlower
Shakespearean Groupie

Post by CodeBlower »

Endgames
hardcover version

I'm happy to report that I didn't find any errors.

Alternatively, I'm now really nervous that somebody else will find a ton and I'll have to admit that I'm losing my touch.
-=-
lmodesitt
Professional Wordsmith

Post by lmodesitt »

Just think how I feel...

L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
CodeBlower
Shakespearean Groupie

Post by CodeBlower »

lmodesitt wrote:Just think how I feel...

L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
I don't want you to worry about that -- you just keep writing -- I'll help out the editors as I can. ;)
-=-
CodeBlower
Shakespearean Groupie

Post by CodeBlower »

The Mage-Fire War
hardcover version

Chapter LXI
p. 418 - next to the last line
"Let just see how it goes."
Let -> Let's

Chapter LXI
p. 428 - 5th paragraph from the bottom
"Mage Jessyla followed you. The Hydlenese were so disorganized after the two of you _ that they were easy pickings."
I think there's a word missing where I stuck the underscore ("_").
-=-
lmodesitt
Professional Wordsmith

Post by lmodesitt »

Thank you.

L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
Mythbhavd
Scribe Adept

Post by Mythbhavd »

“Thank you, Undercaptain,” replied Beltur. “Since you’re duty is about up, you and your patrol can head back to headquarters and sign out.”

Page 129 in ebook version.
lmodesitt
Professional Wordsmith

Post by lmodesitt »

Thank you.

L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
CodeBlower
Shakespearean Groupie

Post by CodeBlower »

Fairhaven Rising
hardcover version

Chapter VI
p. 59 - last line on the page
"It's better to deal with little problems before they become bigger. We're learned that the hard way. The boy was ordered to steal."
We're -> We've

(The grammar error that Mythbhavd noted is also in this version; I am embarrassed to report that I missed that one in my notes and had to go find it.)
Chapter XIV
p. 124 - 1st full paragraph on the page
"Thank you, Undercaptain," replied Beltur. "Since you're duty is about up, you and your patrol can head back to headquarters and sign out."
You're -> your

Chapter XXI
p. 155 - last sentence on the page
After turning the half squad over to Varais for dismissal, he rode over to where Tulya stood beside Bounder and reined up.
Tulya -> Taelya

Chapter XXXIV
p. 248 - 1st sentence of the chapter
Mindful of Gustaan's earlier comments, Tulya was up early on fiveday, and had Bounder groomed and saddled and ready even before she went to the officers' mess for a hurried breakfast.
Tulya -> Taelya

Chapter XLIV
p. 287
(I'm not sure about this one ..)
At the top of the page, Taelya goes over her plan -- for the east fort -- with Gustaan. Valchar mentions "battalions" -- which (to me) means Certan troops -- but Kaeryla says:
"When you talk to the majer -- if we talk to him," added Kaerlya, "say that one of the Montgren companies will be supporting our two squads."
Maybe I'm misunderstanding but -- when they talk to Zekkarat -- he says:
".. I take it that the request for backup by Certan forces is to make certain that the submarshal has to commit at least some of his forces?"
My thought is that Kaerlya's line should have stated "Certan" instead of "Montgren" -- but I'm not positive that she's not saying something different than Valchar -- although I would have assumed that Zekkerat would already commit forces to the task.

Chapter XLVIII
p. 308 - last line of the paragraph that starts with "Once they crossed .."
Some two hundred yards farther north, just across the Passa River -- whose waters seemed about fifty yards wide and quite deep -- from the middle of the of the western Gallosian fort, Taelya ordered, "Squad. Halt!"
remove the 2nd "of the"

Chapter LVI
p. 353 - first (partial) sentence on the page
.. although the wooden shutters were closed, which probably accounted for the lack of flies, as well as dusty.
change "dusty" to "dust"
-=-
lmodesitt
Professional Wordsmith

Post by lmodesitt »

I appreciate the detail. I try; my editor tries; a third proofreader tries... but typos and errors still slip through.

L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
CodeBlower
Shakespearean Groupie

Post by CodeBlower »

You'll hear no complaints from me!
-=-
Silver_Phoenix
Apprentice Scribe

Post by Silver_Phoenix »

Fairhaven Rising (hard cover)

p 313

All three mage-undercaptains...

three -> four

Especially since below that is:
From the mess, after all four had filled their water bottles....
lmodesitt
Professional Wordsmith

Post by lmodesitt »

Duly noted.

L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
JTass
Scribe

Post by JTass »

I'm listening to the audio rather than reading the text, so I'm not sure how precise I can be regarding location:
Fairhaven Rising, Chapter 8, approximately 75% into the chapter (around the 5 minutes 50 second mark out of 7 minutes 45 seconds).
"...Taelya didn't even want to think about it herself, even as she knew why her uncle had been so insistent on her learning to incorporate chaos into her shields..."

Unless I'm misunderstanding, Taelya's shields were initially composed entirely of chaos, and Beltur taught her to strengthen them with order, so I'm pretty sure that this should read:
"...her uncle had been so insistent on her learning to incorporate order into her shields..."
Considering the principles involved, what are the odds that Murphy's Law is named after the wrong guy?

Return to “L. E. Modesitt”