More Questions from an L.E. Modesitt Fan

A place to discuss the rich and varied worlds of L.E. Modesitt, Jr. All are welcome!

Official Website: here. Official Fan site: here

Moderators: Ghost, lmodesitt

Mythbhavd
Scribe Adept

Re: More Questions from an L.E. Modesitt Fan

Post by Mythbhavd »

I have two totally unrelated questions. The first question is related to chaos/order. To some of the characters, Chaos seems to work like electricity. If that's so, if it would be possible to create an EMP would that disrupt a chaos user's ability?

The second question arises from a rereading of Heritage of Cyador. Drusyn states that he doesn't believe the enemy will attack because they are preparing warm meals. It doesn't appear a long march is in order to enter battle from their staging point, so it wouldn't seem to be a matter of time taken to prepare and clean up a meal. Why would cold rations be better than a warm meal on the day of a battle?
lmodesitt
Professional Wordsmith

Post by lmodesitt »

Technically, I wouldn't be surprised if an EMP would disrupt both the abilities of chaos and order users, simply because the amount of energy involved would likely disrupt anything, but... since no one's generating electricity in the world of Recluce, at least in the time periods I'm writing about,that's an issue I'm not likely to be addressing.

You're forgetting about the logistics of preparing a hot meal under those conditions. Cookfires have to be started, then allowed to get to the right temperature for cooking. Troops have to be staged through eating. It takes a fair amount of time to do that. Then there's also the problem that weather conditions are usually better in the early part of the day -- unless it's already raining. So unless you want to fight a battle in the afternoon, it's unlikely that an army is going to prepare warm meals.

Those were my thoughts, anyway.

L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
Mythbhavd
Scribe Adept

Post by Mythbhavd »

As to the first question, I didn't know if it'd be possible for a mate/wizard to duplicate a pulse. As to the second question, that makes a lot of sense. I hadn't considered waiting for the fires to get to the right temperature.
Gil galad
Assistant Scholar

Post by Gil galad »

I just did a re-read of The Ecolitan Operation and have one question: What exactly is a flitter?

I had always thought you just meant a helicopter but using the description of groundcar travel s a comparison, the flitters described here seem to fly too fast.
lmodesitt
Professional Wordsmith

Post by lmodesitt »

A flitter is a flying personal transport system based on the lifting body concept, where lift is supplied by airflow over the entire flitter.

L.E. Modesitt, Jr.
JTass
Scribe

Post by JTass »

lmodesitt wrote:A flitter is a flying personal transport system based on the lifting body concept, where lift is supplied by airflow over the entire flitter.

L.E. Modesitt, Jr.
I had always pictured a flitter as a Dune-style ornithopter
Considering the principles involved, what are the odds that Murphy's Law is named after the wrong guy?
IndomitableEm
Bookworm

Post by IndomitableEm »

Quick question. :)

I'm rereading "Imager", and Dichartyn mentions that "Cyran destroyed Rex Defou and put his son on the throne."
Spoiler: show
Unless there was another Rex Defou, we know that it was Alastar who completed this task. Was this just an oversight in writing, or is this part of Quaeryt's "curse", where those who do great deeds for the benefit of the majority of people are forgotten?
lmodesitt
Professional Wordsmith

Post by lmodesitt »

Partly that, and partly the usual historical errors.

L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
Mythbhavd
Scribe Adept

Post by Mythbhavd »

Last night, as with many nights, I was having trouble sleeping. As I lay in bed trying to fall asleep, I began to think about Anna and the characters in the Spellsong series. I found myself wondering how to stop or defeat a singer. As I pondered, I thought about Alastair. He taught his imagers to image pepper at their enemies. While singing pepper at someone would be darksong, pepper, dust, or anything that would clog the airways or cause sneezing would seem to be able to temporarily stop a singer long enough to make an escape or stop something they were attempting. In the Spellsong system, how effective would a ploy like that be?
lmodesitt
Professional Wordsmith

Post by lmodesitt »

As a matter of fact, it would be quite effective -- at least for the first few times, and if the timing and location were absolutely perfect.

L.E. Modesitt, Jr.
Mythbhavd
Scribe Adept

Post by Mythbhavd »

Do you ever have these moments?

lmodesitt
Professional Wordsmith

Post by lmodesitt »

Some of them. I suspect every author has some.

L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
Lucent
Apprentice Scribe

Post by Lucent »

So, a few questions back you replied that people were not generating electricity on the planet on which Recluce lies. (what's the name of the planet again? Not Corus) At the time period in which you are writing. The question is that at the end of "Death of Chaos", Lerris states that the bound Chaos and Order would come apart again someday, any chance of an Urban Fantasy in the future based on the Recluce mechanics? You know, rogue chaos wizard Lucent wreaking havoc in Fort Worth! Just in case you needed help with the plot :-)
Can you smell that?
lmodesitt
Professional Wordsmith

Post by lmodesitt »

I'm sorry to say that I'm probably not going to write far-future Recluce novel. I won't say "never," because I've learned in life that that word is too dangerous to utter seriously, but it's highly unlikely.

L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
Mythbhavd
Scribe Adept

Post by Mythbhavd »

I enjoy the books about Trystan and Van. Do you think there will ever be another that will follow the Ethos progression as the future plays out?

I’m also curious about the quote, “When formality vanishes, so do ethics.” There are times when a strict adherence to formalities beckmes legalities in the sense of legalism. In my experience, legalisms are used much in the same way as the Revs did to stifle anything with which they do not agree. So, where is the balance between healthy formality and falling to legalism?
lmodesitt
Professional Wordsmith

Post by lmodesitt »

At present, I don't have any plans for a follow-on book to The Ethos Effect. Right now, and most likely for the foreseeable future, I'm working on one book at a time. I'm old enough that promising anything other than what I'm working on is unwise and might get readers' hopes up. I'm at the age where, healthy as I am, matters could change instantly, or I could live to be productive into my nineties.

The quote about ethics and formality is based on my own observations of history. From what I've studied and seen, ethics or moral behavior requires societal support. Societal support requires formal conventions. There's a difference between individuals misusing legal structures or manners and a whole society that's rejected such conventions... or even minimized them. At least, that's the way I see it.

L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
Mythbhavd
Scribe Adept

Post by Mythbhavd »

So, I had a totally random thought this morning. My 7 year old is mildly autistic and LOVES art. She draws all the time and asked me to print a picture of her so that she could try to draw it. I was thinking about that this morning and Rhenn popped into my head. I know he painted portraits of the senior imagers. Do you think he painted a self-portrait or does he fade in time like Quaeryt?
lmodesitt
Professional Wordsmith

Post by lmodesitt »

Since Rhenn is the senior imager at the Collegium and lives in a time period where there are more records, he's unlikely to "vanish into time." Given his modesty, however, he's unlikely to paint a self-portrait, but I suspect that, at some time, Seliora will contrive a way for a portrait to be painted.

L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
Mythbhavd
Scribe Adept

Post by Mythbhavd »

And one, I’m sure, that will be accurate without being flattering. Thank you for your answer and all the others you give us.
IndomitableEm
Bookworm

Post by IndomitableEm »

Hello Mr. Modesitt! As a massive fan and voracious reader of your works (I've read the entirety of the Imager Portfolio and Saga of Recluce several times and have read many of your sci fi books multiple times as well), I'm curious about the future of your books. The "What I'm Writing" section on your blog has apparently met with some kind of accident (the most recent post im seeing is from 2010, but i know you posted about much more recent books than that) and with the end of the Imager Portfolio with Endgames I find myself deeply curious as to what your plans are going forward. Do you have a final book already planned for the Saga of Recluce? Do you think you'll retire at any time soon?

(As a note, i don't ask this from an entitled, give-me-more point of view. I fully respect and support your need to change your output as you need to. As a fan, i lament the day i don't get to enjoy a new book from you, but i also understand that nothing good lasts forever).
lmodesitt
Professional Wordsmith

Post by lmodesitt »

I think your browser may have a problem with not refreshing or displaying the current version of "What I'm Writing" on my website, although the last entry was in April 2019. The next Recluce book is Fairhaven Rising which is in production and scheduled for release in February 2021. The very next book to come out will be Quantum Shadows, a far, far, future science fantasy, which will be out in July 2020.

As for the the book I'm working on, it's taken a bit longer than I anticipated, partly because of its complexity, and partly because of familial [not mine] health problems which took priority over writing, but I anticipate finishing it and announcing it within the next two months, possibly a bit sooner. It is a kind of alternate world, political, science fantasy.

I don't have a final book planned for the Recluce Saga, and, at present, I have no intention of retiring so long as I feel I'm writing well [and as long as my editor agrees].

L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
Ghost
Judge Roy Bean

Post by Ghost »

*** SPOILERS *** SPOILERS ***
I was rereading a Madness in Solidar, don’t know how I missed it the first time, where Alastar was reading the history/diary discussing that a descendant of Quaeryt and Vaelora and had a son: "He wasn't an imager. His name was Rousel. He went into trade. Woolens maybe."

Is it true that Rhenn is a descendent of Q and V?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you,
S Adams
lmodesitt
Professional Wordsmith

Post by lmodesitt »

In fact...
Yes...
L.E. Modesitt, Jr.
Spear-Dane
Bookworm

Post by Spear-Dane »

I've noticed you playing with name-elements throughout your books.
For example, some families and royal families will share common name components, not unlike Anglo-Saxon dynasties. Or just name components reshuffled around, sometimes like Germanic names. This is pretty evident with the Cydorian names that end with with '-phi' in The Chaos Balance, although it seems you shied away from that in the Lorn and Lerial books (with the exception of Lephi being named after Lephi).

Anyways, I was wondering if, beyond the obvious (like the -phi names), if you had a larger system for all these name elements. If, for instance, some belong to the rationalists, others belonging to the Angels, and if there were actual meanings behind each name element.
lmodesitt
Professional Wordsmith

Post by lmodesitt »

I have to admit I'm not as organized as you imply, in that I don't separate out names by Rationalist or Angel backgrounds. It's likely by feel, but there are more "Rationalist" names, as I think about it, with "ie" or "yl" in their construction. Female names are more likely to end in vowels than are male names, but not always. The only constant is that all names are actually pronounceable, at least in linguistic terms, since I've "borrowed" from Latin, Greek, French, Italian, and Germanic roots, if not always with the same spelling.

L. E. Modesitt, Jr.

Return to “L. E. Modesitt”