Characters you love to hate

A place to discuss the rich and varied worlds of L.E. Modesitt, Jr. All are welcome!

Official Website: here. Official Fan site: here

Moderators: Ghost, lmodesitt

JTass
Scribe

Characters you love to hate

Post by JTass »

I had an epiphany last night regarding one of the reasons that I enjoy Mr. Modesitt's works as much as I do... He has a talent for writing really unlikable antagonists that aren't one-dimensional or caricaturish, who at some point (usually) receive some sort of retribution or justice.
I get a visceral glow of satisfaction every time that happens. On the flip-side, there are times when I spend several chapters thinking, "For G-d's sake, just deal with him already."
Considering the principles involved, what are the odds that Murphy's Law is named after the wrong guy?
Mythbhavd
Scribe Adept

Re: Characters you love to hate

Post by Mythbhavd »

Once, I even felt that way about the protagonist. Rahl's personality grates on my nerves. However, the circumstances and characters surrounding his life have drawn me back to his story several times.
JTass
Scribe

Post by JTass »

I agree that Rahl comes across as something of an entitled whiny brat, particularly early in the story arc. However, I felt there were enough negative factors affecting him that were real rather than perceived that his attitude didn't feel too off-putting to me.
Considering the principles involved, what are the odds that Murphy's Law is named after the wrong guy?
JTass
Scribe

Post by JTass »

New entry for this topic:

I'm in the middle of listening to Outcasts of Order, and I was literally clenching my fists with the desire to strike out at Condar and Wainson during all of their machinations (Sorry if the spelling is off, as I said, I'm listening to the audiobook rather than reading the text).
Spoiler: show
I actually cheered out loud when they got their just reward.
KevinT
Apprentice Scribe

Post by KevinT »

Jesslek

(and Fydel and Anya)

I just reread the
Spoiler: show
torture
scene in The Magic Engineer. :x

At least this time I know how it turns out.
Mythbhavd
Scribe Adept

Post by Mythbhavd »

Yeah, Anya was about 4/3 crazy on a good day.

Return to “L. E. Modesitt”