LMB Quote Game

Multiple Hugo and Nebula Award winning author Lois McMaster Bujold is creator of the Miles Vorkosigan universe and the world of Chalion.

Official Website: www.dendarii.com

Moderator: Ghost

voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Re: LMB Quote Game

Post by voralfred »

JKCade wrote:"Judicial murder", said AAA frozenly, "is murder still". BBB CCC was pale, breathless.
"But my hands will not be stained with it, eh?" And hasn't there been enough murder in DDD? Come, my lady. Let us cry peace. Today, I ask humbly, and grant you the dignity of free compliance."
EEE's effort at goodwill was brightly strained.
AAA turned (their) face away. "I have the headache. You have kept me too long in the sun."
EEE's voice hardened. "Tomorrow I shall have the means to compel cooperation. And you'll wish you'd struck your best bargain while you could."
"I wish to go in." AAA's face had less animation than one of the marble statues tucked among the garden walks.
A hard one !

Book? Spirit Ring
AAA? Letitia
BBB CCC? Lady Pia
Where is DDD? Montefoglia, in "alternate" Renaissance Italy
EEE? Ferrante

I wonder if we should not remove "Spirit Ring" from the game. Horribly hard to find...

Contrariwise, what about the most recent books ?
I think all six Penric books are now "old" enough to qualify, and also Flowers of Vashnoi, it has been out long enough.

Should we already include Knife Children, or wait a little bit more ?
Human is as human does....Animals don't weep, Nine

[i]LMB, The Labyrinth [/i]
JKCade
Literature Addict

Post by JKCade »

Correct!

I agree, "Spirit Ring" quotes are rather vague. Makes hunting them more interesting, lol. I'm good either way.
I think the Penric books should be included, they are interesting enough that the dialogue tends to stick with a person.
Knife Children could be included as well, tho I may have to read it a couple of more times.
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

Oh, bless you. Trust XXX to see opportunities where everyone else just saw impossibilities.
Not quite clear why only the first three words are in italics. The remainder of the quote is also a thought of some character YYY, but somehow a neutral observation rather than a barely repressed speech. So it is in regular letters, as any other event seen by the "point-of-view character".

Book ?
XXX ?
Who is the point-of-view character at this point, who almost blurted Oh, bless you..

PS :This is not in Knife Children. We should wait a few more weeks, or even a couple of months.

voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

A longer quote
Oh, bless you. Trust XXX to see opportunities where everyone else just saw impossibilities. That (their) same speculative eye also fell on the three YYYs was an observation ZZZ kept to (them)self. They’re AAA BBBs too, I suppose.
Not quite clear why only the first three words and the last sentence are in italics. The second sentence of the quote is also a thought of the point-of-view character ZZZ but somehow a neutral observation rather than a barely repressed speech, but the last sentence also is just a thought. Well, deliberate thoughts are in italics, neutral observations of the point-of-view character are not, or the whole book would be in italics.

Book ?
XXX (a character) ?
YYYs (a noun, plural) ?
ZZZ (the point-of-view character in that page - well, in most of the book, and maybe all of it, I did not check precisely)
AAA (an adjective)
BBBs (a noun, plural)

(their) for XXX, (them) for ZZZ, is really a singular, not a plural, but its a way to hide the gender; I've noticed JKCade uses this trick so why not me ?

Hint:
Technically, the noun BBBs does indeed apply to the "three YYYs", but it is a bit unusual to do so. But I'd guess that ZZZ is rather correct in assuming that XXX would think of the three YYYs as "AAA BBBs", this is rather typical of XXX if not of most people.
XXX used the phrase "AAA BBBs" in the usual sense just before the present quote, in a context that prompted ZZZ's unspoken Oh, bless you., but that XXX's same speculative eye also fell on the three YYYs, well, that tempered ZZZ's enthusiasm a bit, but this observation was better kept unspoken, too....

PS :This is not in Knife Children. We should wait a few more weeks, or even a couple of months.

voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

A still longer quote
XXX blinked, then said reasonably, “Well, then, why don’t we (...) I should very much like to have some AAA BBBs with prolonged exposure to the EEE to study."
Oh, bless you. Trust XXX to see opportunities where everyone else just saw impossibilities. That (their) same speculative eye also fell on the three YYYs was an observation ZZZ kept to (them)self. They’re AAA BBBs too, I suppose.
In any case, CCC dried up. “Is it a nice place?”
“Yes,” said ZZZ, “and later you can come visit.”
“Oh.”
DDD looked heartened as well. All the disruption being forced on these people’s lives, and this offer was what got them all on board?
(...) means I omitted part of XXX's speech.
Deliberate thoughts are in italics, neutral observations of the point-of-view character are not, or the whole book would be in italics.
The italics of the word "this" are entirely different, they are just for emphasis.

Book ?
XXX (a character) ?
EEE ?
YYYs (a noun, plural) ?
ZZZ (the point-of-view character in that page - well, in most of the book, and maybe all of it, I did not check precisely)
AAA (an adjective)
BBBs (a noun, plural)

CCC and DDD are two among the three YYY's. You don't have to specify them to get the point and the next quote.

(their) for XXX, (them) for ZZZ, is really a singular, not a plural, but its a way to hide the gender; I've noticed JKCade uses this trick so why not me ?

Hint:
Technically, the noun BBBs does indeed apply to the "three YYYs", but it is a bit unusual to do so. But I'd guess that ZZZ is rather correct in assuming that XXX would think of the three YYYs as "AAA BBBs", this is rather typical of XXX if not of most people.
XXX used the phrase "AAA BBBs" in the usual sense just before the present quote, in a context that prompted ZZZ's unspoken Oh, bless you., but that XXX's same speculative eye also fell on the three YYYs, well, that tempered ZZZ's enthusiasm a bit, but this observation was better kept unspoken, too....

Bonus #1 for 1/2 point:
Give the names of CCC, DDD and the third of the YYYs

Bonus #2 for 1/2 point
Give the general meaning of XXX's offer, the omitted part replaced by (...) that prompted ZZZ's Oh, bless you.
You don't have to give it word-for -word

PS1 :This is not in Knife Children. We should wait a few more weeks, or even a couple of months.

PS2 : I might not have access to the web for a few days from now. Please don't be upset if I am late to react to an anwser. On next monday evening on I will be back.

voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

Oooops !
I edited the previous version instead of quoting it, so it is lost.....
Well this one has more details !

Caroline Tredez
Fireman

Post by Caroline Tredez »

The book is the Flowers of Vashnoi, XXX is Enrique, AAA BBBs are large mammals, CCC is Jadwiga, DDD is Boris, the EEE is the zone, YYYs are youths, ZZZ is Ekaterin. The third youth would be Ingi.
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

Caroline Tredez wrote:The book is the Flowers of Vashnoi, XXX is Enrique, AAA BBBs are large mammals, CCC is Jadwiga, DDD is Boris, the EEE is the zone, YYYs are youths, ZZZ is Ekaterin. The third youth would be Ingi.
Welcome back, Caroline !

Yes, everything is correct, you get the next quote and two points altogether.

Caroline Tredez
Fireman

Glad to be back, VorAlfred ^^ Things happened, and next thing I knew a few years had gone. Oh well.

Next quote:
"You just had to put that picture in my head, didn't you? Maybe that's why the lady peepers pick their mates. To shut them up."
Who's saying that to who, in which book ?
Caroline Tredez
Fireman

A bit more, maybe?
XXX choked on a laugh. "You just had to put that picture in my head, didn't you? Maybe that's why the lady peepers pick their mates. To shut them up."
"That makes a persuasive sort of sense, you know?"
E Pericoloso Sporgersi
Sir E of the Knights Errant

Post by E Pericoloso Sporgersi »

Caroline Tredez wrote:A bit more, maybe?
XXX choked on a laugh. "You just had to put that picture in my head, didn't you? Maybe that's why the lady peepers pick their mates. To shut them up."
I can imagine actually hearing Cordelia saying something outrageous to Oliver Jole.

So:
XXX = Oliver
and Cordelia
in "Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen"
Caroline Tredez
Fireman

Hi, E Pericoloso Sporgersi! But sorry to say that's not it, not any part of it ^^
Caroline Tredez
Fireman

A little more still?
"Maybe I could stuff cotton in my ears tonight. I'm sure glad I didn't have to court YYY by squatting with my naked tail in a puddle and screaming for hours till she took pity on me."
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

Caroline Tredez wrote:A little more still?
"Maybe I could stuff cotton in my ears tonight. I'm sure glad I didn't have to court YYY by squatting with my naked tail in a puddle and screaming for hours till she took pity on me."

Book : Captain's Vorpatril Alliance
XXX : Byerly
YYY : Tej (possibly still supposed to be called Nanja)
First and last to speak : Ivan

Caroline Tredez
Fireman

Try again ^^ I'll post a bit more if no one finds.
Caroline Tredez
Fireman

A last chance ?
ZZZ cocked his head, listening to the peepers. "Maybe I could stuff cotton in my ears tonight. I'm sure glad I didn't have to court YYY by squatting with my naked tail in a puddle and screaming for hours till she took pity on me."
XXX started forward once more, only to stop again when ZZZ said, "XXX - does AAA seem a little peaked to you? Not quite her usual cheerful self?"
Caroline Tredez
Fireman

Can't give any more text, so here's a first clue : ZZZ and AAA are related by blood, and all of them are family.
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

Caroline Tredez wrote:Can't give any more text, so here's a first clue : ZZZ and AAA are related by blood, and all of them are family.
Ouch, that one was hard to find !!!!

Book: Horizon (TSK4)
ZZZ= Whit, Fawn's brother
YYY= his wife Berry (thus Fawn's sister-in-law)
XXX= Dag, Fawn's husband
AAA is Fawn herself

So they are all one family...

Caroline Tredez
Fireman

\o/ YES ! I didn't think it would be this hard to guess, to be honest - the peepers + mention of courtship seemed a dead giveaway, but actually, yes, it's rather non-specific. Point to voralfred!
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

New quote
He seemed a man who could carry on stark naked, and only make those around him feel overdressed.
Book ?
Who is this man ?
Who thinks this ?

Bonus:
Whether on purpose or by mistake, a variant if this quote is quoted in a different book but with different protagonists
In what book and who are the supposed protagonists, in the other book ?

voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

A longer quote ?
He seemed a man who could carry on stark naked, and only make those around him feel overdressed. She smiled a little at this private image, and greeted him with a sketchy wave.
Book ?
Who is this man ?
Who is "She" ?

Bonus #1:
Whether on purpose or by mistake, a variant if this quote is quoted in a different book but with different protagonists. But this variant event itself is not seen in any book.
For 1/2 point : in what book is the non-written event quoted, and who are the supposed protagonists, in that book ?

Hint : At the time of the quoted non-written event, three of the above characters were related. Only the female character of the pseudo-quote did not belong to the same family. She might have, later, had she wished to. But she chose not to.

Bonus #2
In still a different book, the female character of the pseudo-quote expresses her choice about (not) joining that family. It is a short but very poignant dialogue.
For 1/2 point : what book ? and give the first few lines of this dialogue

Caroline Tredez
Fireman

Cordelia thinking that about Aral? I'm not sure if it's in Shards of Honor (my first choice of answer) or Barrayar. And I think Eli Quinn though that of Miles in Brothers in Arms.
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

Caroline Tredez wrote:Cordelia thinking that about Aral? I'm not sure if it's in Shards of Honor (my first choice of answer) or Barrayar.
Your first choice is correct, so you get the next quote and one full sherlock, here.
You can post the new quote as soon as you want.

Re: bonus
Caroline Tredez wrote:And I think Elli Quinn though that of Miles in Brothers in Arms.
The point is, one does not see in any book that Elli Quinn actually says that about Miles, as I wrote above. Miles does reminisce about her telling him that, but Miles's reminiscence is not in _BiA_ (and there is no indication of context allowing to place the actual event in any specific book, and since LMB never wrote it we will never know !)

Since you did get the protagonists right, I think you should have exclusivity for 48 hours starting from now to give the correct book where Miles reminisces.
After this delay the bonus becomes open for anyone to answer. There are no 1/4 points so if someone else finds the correct book after 48h from now, she or he will get the 1/2 point.
Other players, please respect Caroline's 48 hours exclusivity ! If you want to establish precedence, send me a PM. If your PM is the first one, and Caroline does not answer within 48 hours, you'll get the bonus.

I'll update the sherlocks a bit later.

Caroline Tredez
Fireman

Your precisions made it easier to find: it's in Mirror Dance, when Mark has stolen all of Miles' clothes when he went with the Ariel on Jackson's Whole. Miles comes back aboard the Triumph, to find his closet bare, and is briefly tempted to test Eli's earlier assertion that "he could carry on naked, and only make those around him feel overdressed". He, um, overcame the temptation ^^.

So, on to the next quote :
No one should be allowed to break my heart but you, Madam XXX.
Who's saying that to who?
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

Now you have the bonus correct. One point and a half.

There is a further bonus on my previous question. It is of course totally independent of Caroline's question, and will not give the next quote, but only a half-sherlock that will not come "out of the pot" as usually but of my own stock (that is, I'll remove one 1/2 point from my total to give it to who answers this bonus question)

And the bonus question is : why do I deserve to lose 1/2 point because of my previous question ?

For those who are new to the forum, that is, who joined less than 10 or 12 years ago, you are allowed to use its search engine...

Anyway, Caroline's new quote is
Caroline Tredez wrote:
No one should be allowed to break my heart but you, Madam XXX.
Who's saying that to who?

Return to “Lois McMaster Bujold”