Question from a devoted Recluce fan

A place to discuss the rich and varied worlds of L.E. Modesitt, Jr. All are welcome!

Official Website: here. Official Fan site: here

Moderators: Ghost, lmodesitt

Stumillward
Bookworm

Question from a devoted Recluce fan

Post by Stumillward »

Hi everyone,

I first picked up The Magic of Recluce some twenty years ago and I have been a big fan ever since of the series. I’ve also lurked on this forum for years like a mage using a concealment for years as well :wink:

But today I have plucked up the courage to ask a question I have been wanting to ask for about, ooh, ten years?

I wish it was more of an intellectual question such as the building time and materials of the Great White Highway or what the courtly fashion of the Duke of Hydlen is over the years but nah.

The question is this:

‘What exactly is Chaos Fire?’

I’m hoping the question isn’t as dumb as it sounds as it clearly isn’t really fire, ‘fire’ might be just the term a less technologically advanced society would come up with. In The Fall of Angels when a fire bolt is first launched at Ryba and her crew they question if it is a ‘personal laser of some kind’ (sorry if that’s not the exact quote).

Chaos Fire also seems to burn a target rapidly and consumes a body for example and its belongings to ash extremely fast, something conventional fire wouldn’t be able to do.

Also it can be launched long distances on a battlefield, apparently exceeding the range of bows in some novels (though I admit it could be projected by Order to do this as it is stated that White Mages do you use some Order when firing chaos bolts).

I searched this forum and the only link I could find was to a post by the great man himself saying ‘fire bolts were like arrows of chaos’ but again this didn’t satisfy me as I still wonder what is the ‘nature’ of chaos fire.

Does it have a real world equivalent? Is it for instance something like plasma? Or is it something like a ‘science fiction disintegration beam type thingy’.

For ten years I’ve pondered :lol:

If there is already a post on here explaining what it is then I apologise.

But finally thank you Mr Modesitt for creating novels that I have enjoyed for a score and more years :wink: :worship:
lmodesitt
Professional Wordsmith

Re: Question from a devoted Recluce fan

Post by lmodesitt »

Actually, it's a very good question. I've always conceived of it as the opposite of order. Since order is literally what holds everything together, perhaps roughly analogous to the strong atomic force,chaos that is not bound to some degree by order will interact with ordered matter to break the order bindings. Because it "rejects" order, in nature it tends to disperse itself, which mitigates its destructive ability. When concentrated by magic, however, that concentration allows it to break down ordered matter, and in the process, generates a great deal of heat, which manifests partly as fire. That's also why the most destructive uses of chaos require a great deal of order mastery.

I hope this helps.

L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
Stumillward
Bookworm

Post by Stumillward »

Phew! It wasn't a stupid question :D

Thank you for your answer and it did help. I like how, just like all the magic in Recluce, Chaos Fire has a 'scientific' explanation and yet still feels magical.

If I may indulge you with one last question Mr Modesitt? I don't suppose you ever visit the UK to do book tours and signings? Only I would love to have a few books signed and shake your hand (I promise to wash mine first).

I'm sure you probably do book signings in the US but I rather think that the wife would throttle me to death in the airport on my return journey if I was to abscond to get a few books signed overseas :wink:

Thanks again.
lmodesitt
Professional Wordsmith

Post by lmodesitt »

Alas, it's been almost 30 years since I last did a signing in the UK... and that was also the last time I was there. At this point, since I'm not selling books in the mega-million range, it's highly unlikely that I'll get to the UK any time soon, especially since my wife would be rather displeased if I went without her.

I wish it were otherwise, but...

L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
JTass
Scribe

Post by JTass »

Maybe your wife could finagle a spot as a guest lecturer at a UK university. Does she conduct a choir in addition to teaching? Perhaps she could arrange for an exchange program. You could tag along as her entourage...
My high school music department (chorus, band, orchestra) had a music exchange trip every other year with schools all over the eastern US and Canada. The trip was totally funded by student fund-raising, ticket sales throughout the year, and community contributions.
Last edited by JTass on Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Considering the principles involved, what are the odds that Murphy's Law is named after the wrong guy?
lmodesitt
Professional Wordsmith

Post by lmodesitt »

Neither of us is quite renowned enough for that... unfortunately.

L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
Stumillward
Bookworm

Post by Stumillward »

Ah well, I knew it was unlikely :(

I blame myself, I’ve had twenty years to devote that time in creating a million strong fan base in the UK for you but I squandered those years, I see that now :wink:

Thank you again for taking the time to answer my questions :)

Return to “L. E. Modesitt”