Interesting post re: the best scenes in fantasy

A place to discuss the rich and varied worlds of L.E. Modesitt, Jr. All are welcome!

Official Website: here. Official Fan site: here

Moderators: Ghost, lmodesitt

JTass
Scribe

Interesting post re: the best scenes in fantasy

Post by JTass »

Hey all,

I came across an old forum post while searching for something and thought I'd share.
https://www.sffworld.com/forum/threads/ ... nty.16673/

Mr M's work is mentioned twice in the discussion - once for the end of The Parafaith War, and again for the confrontation between Justen and the ancient forest in The Order War.
Considering the principles involved, what are the odds that Murphy's Law is named after the wrong guy?
JTass
Scribe

Re: Interesting post re: the best scenes in fantasy

Post by JTass »

Let's get some activity going on the forum...

What do you consider some of the more memorable scenes in fantasy or science fiction?

Here are a few of my favorites:
- The "Revor's Kill" scene in The Summer Tree (book 1 of the Fionavarr Tapestry) by Guy Gavriel Kay
- The Battle of Dros Delnoch in Legend (book 1 of the Drenai series) by David Gemmell
- In Field of Dishonor (book 4 of the Honor Harrington series) by David Weber, the moment of realization when Honor is informed that her lover's death during a duel was not a tragic accident, but actually an attack aimed at her.
- The beginning of The Ecolitan Operation (book 1 of the Ecolitan Matter series by Mr. M), where JimJoy sabotages the nuclear plant.
Considering the principles involved, what are the odds that Murphy's Law is named after the wrong guy?
JTass
Scribe

Post by JTass »

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
E Pericoloso Sporgersi
Sir E of the Knights Errant

Post by E Pericoloso Sporgersi »

Okay. I'll put in my 2 €c worth:

When Ekaterin reads Miles's abject hand-written and blood-sealed apology letter in A Civil Campaign by Lois McMaster Bujold.

In second place: When Ekaterin makes Miles tell about his unrequited loves (yes, plural) in Komarr, also by LMB.

Edit: I just thought of a third one: The explanation in World of Ptavvs by Larry Niven of how Pluto got into the orbit it has now.
JTass
Scribe

Post by JTass »

How about you Mr. M?
Are there any particular scenes you've read that you recall vividly, even years after reading them?
lmodesitt
Professional Wordsmith

Post by lmodesitt »

I'd have to say that the scene that sticks in my mind is one I wrote more than thirty years ago, and that's the closing scene from In Endless Twilight, the last book of The Forever Hero, but it's a scene that wouldn't have much impact if you don't read all three books.

L. E. Modesitt, Jr.

Return to “L. E. Modesitt”