John Irving- The World According to Garp-9

Here you can post book reviews for the IBDoF. Share your thoughts with the world and tell us what you think of the latest book you've read.

[NOTE: to create a properly linked book review thread here in TCC, please click on the "Review this Book" link from the applicable detailed book view in the IBDoF database - it will automatically generate a linked review here.

Moderators: clong, Mr. Titanic

Blair
Bookworm

John Irving- The World According to Garp-9

Post by Blair »

What a big, beautiful novel!

This is the first work by Irving that I've read and it's left me wanting more.
Garp is the fictional life story of T.S Garp, a son, a father, a lover, a husband, and a writer.
Although there is no structured plot, it is a fascinating character study of not just one, but many interesting characters. Many of them are women- which leads to one of the major themes of the novel- feminism and the polarization of the sexes. While there are other themes, such as death and love of children, this theme echoes the loudest.
I don't know if it's an "important" novel as one critic claims, but it's certainly entertaining and thought-provoking.
SlowRain
Literature Addict

A Prayer for Owen Meany

Post by SlowRain »

I've heard many people say that The World According to Garp is Irving's best novel, and it's on my list to read one day. I've only ever read A Prayer for Owen Meany; I highly recommend it.
"The only second chance you get is to make the same mistake twice." - David Mamet

Currently reading: "Bridge of Sighs" by Richard Russo
Serenity
Bookworm

Post by Serenity »

I have only read two of Irving's novels so far. The Cider House Rules and The World According to Garp. I loved them both. However for me Cider House was far better. That being said Garp is touching, funny, sad, and a hundred other emotions. The world of Garp is inhabited by fully fleshed people, who your can not help but care about. It will leave you feeling like you lived a life through the eyes of Garp. A real Gem. I look forward to reading more of Irving's work in the future but fear that anything of his I read will fall short of Garp and Cider.
[i]Oh ye precious Children of God

You know not the Power you possess
The Fallen have no power over you.
They can only mislead you.
Man stands at the brink of change
This small opera has a greater Truth[/i]

Return to “The Critic's Corner”