Erich von Daniken - Chariots of the Gods - 3

Here you can post book reviews for the IBDoF. Share your thoughts with the world and tell us what you think of the latest book you've read.

[NOTE: to create a properly linked book review thread here in TCC, please click on the "Review this Book" link from the applicable detailed book view in the IBDoF database - it will automatically generate a linked review here.

Moderators: clong, Mr. Titanic

Darb
Punoholic

Erich von Daniken - Chariots of the Gods - 3

Post by Darb »

Chariots of the Gods

I'll be brief, because the book doesn't deserve more time than that.

This book is one of the archetypal examples of 1970's fluffy pseudoscience drivel, which is practically a genre unto itself.

This particular example has long since been debunked by many reputable authors, and at considerable length. I only entered this book into the database just now (only a few minutes prior to posting this), because I made reference to it in a separate review ... and also because, like it or not, it's a best seller. Then again, supermarket tabloids are best sellers too, so that's not saying an awful lot.

In any case, just for the sake of completeness, I read this book as an impressionable teen back in the mid-late 1970's, when shows like "In Search Of", "Project Blue Book", UFO sightings, and things like "streaking", acid rock, smoking recreational drugs, poor personal hygine and rampant anti-intellectualism were all the rage in pop culture, and things like CB Radio, Walkie Talkies, and pocket calculators were the newfangled high-brow hobbies of the day for adolescent geeks like me.

Save your time and money.

Have you read this book? Click here to rate it!
Last edited by Darb on Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
laurie
Spelling Mistress
Location: The part of New York where "flurries" means 2 feet of snow to shovel

Post by laurie »

Come on, Brad, admit it - you loved the book when you first read it. I know I did!

And I'm still trying to figure out what all those arrows in the Andes are pointing to, and how that chalk horse in England got there.
"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife." -- Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

"So where the hell is he?" -- Laurie
Darb
Punoholic

Post by Darb »

Yes, I freely admit that, like the amazon reader whose review I included at the bottom of our detailed book view (as a balancing counterpoint to the publisher's hype), I loved the book ... back when I was a young, gullible and highly impressionable teen.

Now ?

These days, I have nothing but contempt for authors who deliberately peddle scientific misinformation & unfounded conspiracy theories, in order to score notoriety and $$$ for themselves ... and I tend to pity those who are gullible/underinformed enough to swallow it, hook line and sinker, as if it were robust fact.
Last edited by Darb on Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
tollbaby
anything but this ...

Post by tollbaby »

hehe :) that was a favorite satire of mine when I was 18-19 (an ex-boyfriend made me read it, but we both read it mainly to mock it).
And what manner of jackassery must we put up with today? ~ Danae, Non Sequitur

Return to “The Critic's Corner”