Frank Miller - 300 - 6

Here you can post book reviews for the IBDoF. Share your thoughts with the world and tell us what you think of the latest book you've read.

[NOTE: to create a properly linked book review thread here in TCC, please click on the "Review this Book" link from the applicable detailed book view in the IBDoF database - it will automatically generate a linked review here.

Moderators: clong, Mr. Titanic

StefanY
Jedi Librarian

Frank Miller - 300 - 6

Post by StefanY »

I haven’t seen the movie yet, so I thought that I’d read the book before I went to see it. Of course, since it’s a graphic novel, this was a fairly quick read. The art work is very different from comic book art that I am accustomed to. A muted color scheme really helps to set the tone for the book and great use of action move the story along without the need for a ton of dialog. Frank Miller definitely has his own style, a couple of times he lost me in what was going on, but after turning back a few pages and rereading, I figured out what he was trying to do with the story. Overall, I found it to be entertaining, but I definitely would not choose this medium over a traditional novel of the same story or subject matter. It was a nice change of pace though, and I’m glad that I got the feel of the graphic novel aspect before seeing the movie and having my perception skewed by it. I also think that it’s one of those types of things that I’ll enjoy even more on a second reading. I’m sure that the second time through, I’ll naturally take more time to appreciate the art work instead of mainly concentrating on moving through the story.

Have you read this book? Click here to rate it!
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v82/styates/ChiefsArrowhead.jpg[/img]

Return to “The Critic's Corner”