Bill Ivey - Arts. Inc. - 4

Here you can post book reviews for the IBDoF. Share your thoughts with the world and tell us what you think of the latest book you've read.

[NOTE: to create a properly linked book review thread here in TCC, please click on the "Review this Book" link from the applicable detailed book view in the IBDoF database - it will automatically generate a linked review here.

Moderators: clong, Mr. Titanic

clong
Blade Runner

Bill Ivey - Arts. Inc. - 4

Post by clong »

Arts. Inc.

On some level I agree with one of Ivey’s essential premises: that the “I’m an artist, dammit, and I create art, which is good for you, so you should help pay for it whether you like it or notâ€
PolarisDiB
Scholar

Post by PolarisDiB »

But that doesn’t really mean that every incidence of artistic endeavor by every artistically inclined person needs to be captured for posterity.
However, with digital encoding, practically anything can be saved for very cheap.

I am generally a critic, and do feel that some art is better than others, and that some art needn't be appreciated merely because it's art, but it's fascinating the way in which trash can be used effectively in the future. All of that bad art that is saved could easily be in the next post-Fluxus exposition.

--PolarisDiB
My house is dilapidated with my thoughts

My friends say I think too much
clong
Blade Runner

Post by clong »

PolarisDiB wrote: However, with digital encoding, practically anything can be saved for very cheap.

I am generally a critic, and do feel that some art is better than others, and that some art needn't be appreciated merely because it's art, but it's fascinating the way in which trash can be used effectively in the future. All of that bad art that is saved could easily be in the next post-Fluxus exposition.

--PolarisDiB
Good points. I think there is plenty of stuff out there that is called "art" that has little or no redeeming quality... Several times as I was reading Ivey's book I thought about Theodore Sturgeon's famous comment: upon be confronted by an English professor who asserted that ninety percent of science fiction is crap, Sturgeon thought for a moment, and then replied that "ninety percent of everything is crap."

I suppose that it may be fair to say that. in the long run, the market does a good job of seperating the masterpieces from the trash. But of course, artists have to make a living in the short run.

I think that a part of Ivey's frustration is that it would be very cheap to save important artifacts for posterity, but the corporations who own the artifacts only care about short term profits.

Return to “The Critic's Corner”