Robert A[nson] Heinlein - Moon is a Harsh Mistress, The - 9

Here you can post book reviews for the IBDoF. Share your thoughts with the world and tell us what you think of the latest book you've read.

[NOTE: to create a properly linked book review thread here in TCC, please click on the "Review this Book" link from the applicable detailed book view in the IBDoF database - it will automatically generate a linked review here.

Moderators: clong, Mr. Titanic

clong
Blade Runner

Robert A[nson] Heinlein - Moon is a Harsh Mistress, The - 9

Post by clong »

Moon is a Harsh Mistress, The /Heinlen\'s Future History

For me The Moon is a Harsh Mistress has to be considered one of Heinlein's best books. Don't read it if you are looking for profound insight into the human psyche, timely commentary on the challenges of developing artificial intelligence, or an inspiring vision of the future evolution of society. Do read this book if you are looking for an faced paced and entertaining story.

The four protagonists who lead a lunar revolution are likable and sympathetic (if not particularly deep) characters. Mike, the newly self-aware supercomputer (whose top priority seems to be trying to understand humor), is a particularly intriguing character. Similarly the complex society envisioned for the lunar colony is fascinating but not really remotely likely.

My biggest complaint is that I found Heinlein's habit of omitting the subject of sentances to be mildly irritating. I guess this was supposed to be moonspeak.

But that is a minor quibble. Overall, this is a fun story which has influenced many later writers, and is definitely worth your time.

Return to “The Critic's Corner”