Mercedes Lackey - Magic's Pawn - 9

Here you can post book reviews for the IBDoF. Share your thoughts with the world and tell us what you think of the latest book you've read.

[NOTE: to create a properly linked book review thread here in TCC, please click on the "Review this Book" link from the applicable detailed book view in the IBDoF database - it will automatically generate a linked review here.

Moderators: clong, Mr. Titanic

etitameh
Genre Delimitor

Mercedes Lackey - Magic's Pawn - 9

Post by etitameh »

Magic's Pawn, Last Herald-Mage #1

I first read this book when I was about 12 years old, thinking it was a stand-alone. (Incidentally, it works quite well as a stand-alone, although it is actually the first book of a trilogy which is intended to flesh out backstory for others of Lackey's Valdemar books.) It has become one of my 5 favorite books, and I've re-read it at least a dozen times since.

The book follows the story of Vanyel Ashkevron, a teenager who doesn't fit in, no matter how hard he tries. At times, Vanyel seems like just a whiner, but he's always a likable whiner! Eventually, he realizes one of the major differences between himself and everyone else, and begins to find out who he really is. Along the way, there's true (if young) love, heartbreak, adventure, and lots and lots of magic -- all very convincingly depicted.

The only caveat I would offer about this book and series is that they do have sympathetic homosexual characters -- if this is something that offends you, then look elsewhere! If, on the other hand, this is something you've been looking for, you'll find some friends here. (I would also suggest Tanya Huff's Quarters series for sympathetic gay characters, as well as much of Lackey's Valdemar work, in a more incidental fashion.)
Darb
Punoholic

Post by Darb »

Great series, and agreed on all counts.

I've been meaning to review it since having entered it in the database some time ago, but I just hadn't gotten around to it.

I dont personally care for the homo-erotic backstory, but that didn't stop me from giving it a 9. It's a great yarn, and it's highly recommended.

p.s. Incidentally, tied for being my favorite M.L. novel is By the Sword.
etitameh
Genre Delimitor

Post by etitameh »

incidental note, what do you think of the review itself? is that the kind of thing we're looking for in ibdof reviews in general? just wanna make sure before i enter any more. :mrgreen:
Darb
Punoholic

Post by Darb »

It's perfectly fine. :thumb:
etitameh
Genre Delimitor

Post by etitameh »

k, then i'll start mulling over some other ones i have in mind :idea:

Return to “The Critic's Corner”