C.S. Forester - "Horatio Hornblower" (series) - 10

Here you can post book reviews for the IBDoF. Share your thoughts with the world and tell us what you think of the latest book you've read.

[NOTE: to create a properly linked book review thread here in TCC, please click on the "Review this Book" link from the applicable detailed book view in the IBDoF database - it will automatically generate a linked review here.

Moderators: clong, Mr. Titanic

Darb
Punoholic

C.S. Forester - "Horatio Hornblower" (series) - 10

Post by Darb »

I'm in the process of finishing up the 11th book of this fabulous series.

IBDOF-book-detailedview.php?book_id=1484

GENRE: Historical Fiction (British Navy, during the Napoleonic Wars)

SUMMARY: The story follows the main character, Horatio Hornblower, across his entire Naval career, from wet behind the ears midshipman, to his days as an Admiral, Lord and Commander in Chief of the Navy.

When it comes to novels about "wooden ships and iron men", THIS is the series that everyone is referring to. It is a true and timeless classic - the kind of book that you read, and re-read, and pass down to your children to read and re-read - or you can just cut to the chase and read it to them, in episodic fashion.

Unlike most historical novels, the author appears to have gone to considerable lengths to get all his historical facts and naval/sailing terminology correct ... the result is a masterpiece in which you can really feel like you're there with the characters, with the winds howling, the decks tilting, and the guns roaring about you.

I have a few tiny nits, but not big enough to warrant mentioning.

This rip roaringly good yarn has earned my heartfelt praise - which is given neither lightly nor easily, I can assure you.

A must read.

p.s. Gazoooo - thanks for spurring me ahead on buying and reading this series ... worth every penny.
Last edited by Darb on Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Trebor1503
Journeyman Scholar

Post by Trebor1503 »

I have read probably about 5 of the books in this series and although I would not peg it as a 10 I would have to agree that it is probably the best historical "wooden ship" fiction out there. For a genre that interests me alot (say Pirates of the Carribean this past weekend... very good flix) I would definately suggest it to others of the same bent.

Character developement is very good and detail of the period is excellent.
9 out of 10
Darb
Punoholic

Post by Darb »

9 of 10 is perfectly fair ... I give it a 9.5, and I rounded it up to a 10 because it's well researched, immensely fun, and has stood the test of time across multiple generations. It deserves to be a 10 because there are, admittedly, so few 10's out there that we can affort to be a little generous - and because it stands so far above most of it's peers in the same genre.

Is it as well written & intellectually/culturally sensitive, on a page by page basis as, say, James Clavell's "Shogun" ? (an example of a true 10). Not quite. However, it has that certain special 'something' ... that little spark of magic that you can't put your finger on that makes it a great tale and a great read.

I'm sticking to my guns - 10.
Trebor1503
Journeyman Scholar

Post by Trebor1503 »

There is just something about the subject. I mean lets fact it... you have to add like a +2 just for the subject. And the fact that it has aged so well really says something.
Gazoooo
Apprentice Scribe

Post by Gazoooo »

Brad.....you are very welcome, I'm glad that Iwas able to pass my love for this character on to someone else. My father gave me my first book in the series when I was in grade 7 and since then I have read them all at least 5 times. Currently (past 10 years) I have been hunting for the series at any used bookstore I come across, and I now have all except "Lord Hornblower" as First Editions. There are also severl companion books that you might find helpful as you read the series, although I never bothered with them.

Forester also wrote several unrelated stories of wooden sailing ships and one that comes to mind was "The ship".

Some of you may have noticed I've been away for awhile, nothing is wrong, everyone is good, it's just been "the pressing needs of my private and public advocations".

I've finished the first seven in the "Wizard's Rules" and that drained some free time, #8 "The Pillars of Creation" has not kept my interest too much, but summer and three boys probably had more to do with that.

Hopefully I can come around more often....

See you all shortly

Gazoooo
Superenigmatix
Defender of the Chronicles Stylesheet

Post by Superenigmatix »

drop in any time mate - the kettles always on :)
Darb
Punoholic

Post by Darb »

w00t - good to see ya back, Gazooo :D
Syren
Bookworm

Post by Syren »

I've only read one of the books, "Mr. Midshipman Hornblower". I didn't think it was that good. Maybe it's because i've only read that one. Yeah, I think the story is good and the character of Hornblower is well-developed but none of the other characters are really. I don't mean to put it down but I'm just giving my opinion. I prefer Patrick O'Brian.
"They have made thier cake and now they must lie on it"
"Don't you mean they can't have thier bed and eat it too"
Darb
Punoholic

Post by Darb »

Syren: The series takes a little time to build inertia, and also the genre is something of an acquired taste. The reality of it all is sometimes a bit of a turnoff to people who are looking for more idealized (and therefore less historically accurate) fare :)

The first book in any series invariablly requires a certain downpayment of attention span and patience. Sometimes the author suceeds in holding a given reader, and sometimes they dont.

Personally, it grabbed the hell outta me, because I grew up sailing, and I love highly accurate historical fiction.
Syren
Bookworm

Post by Syren »

I was just stating my opinion.
I like the genre.
Maybe it's just that book, someday i may read the others to see if the series improves but it's not the top of my reading list.
You also can't say that Patrick O'Brian is idealised or inaccurate.
"They have made thier cake and now they must lie on it"
"Don't you mean they can't have thier bed and eat it too"
MidasKnight
Centrist

Post by MidasKnight »

Ohhh...he can say it....
In the 60’s, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.
KiltanneN
Legionnaire

Post by KiltanneN »

MK - ROFLOL...

kilt
The wonderful thing about not planning
Is that failure comes as a complete surprise
And is not preceded by a period of worry or depression
MidasKnight
Centrist

Post by MidasKnight »

:wink:
In the 60’s, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.
Darb
Punoholic

Post by Darb »

Midas shoots ... Midas scores ! :clap:

p.s. Fixed the spelling error in the thread title :oops:
jean-pierre
Bookworm

Nicholas Monsarrat

Post by jean-pierre »

Has anyone out there read the Cruel Sea or the Master Mariner 1 & 2?

I have read all the Hornblowers and the Patrick OBriens... great stuff...

The cap for me was the Master Mariner - Nicholas Monsarrat's last books.

JPL

:hot:

Return to “The Critic's Corner”